Apple Watch owners thread

Last edited:
Is there any Golf GPS apps out there that don't rely on starting the round on your phone first?

I had one years ago on my Series 2 but it just drains your battery and data. I just want the same as a cheap GPS golf watch does - yardage to holes, that's it, nothing else needed. Surely someone has produced a simple app that doesn't require your phone?

I'm still dithering. Question for anyone with the cellular version: how much do you actually use it? I'm tempted as it would be nice to have if my wife needed to get hold of me if I was out for a run, or if I snapped my leg or something.

They're a couple of good reasons and it would be nice to have. However, above situation excepted, I'm rarely without my phone (perhaps this wouldn't be the case if I had a cellular watch?) and over the course of two years with plan included it totals over £200 more than going GPS-only. And that's a fair amount for 'nice to have'.

Admittedly, I'm partly swayed by the wait of weeks for a GPS-only one from Apple versus being able to get a GPS-and-cellular one within 24 hours from Vodafone.

I've had my cellular enabled on my 4 now for almost two years and it gets used for similar scenarios as you've mentioned above...I run daily, its only 20 minutes, but it means a phone doesn't need to go with me.

I also occasionally ride locally on a 20-30 mile ride and often don't take my phone on that either, but can of course still be contacted. Every now and then I also pop into town to grab a few bits and again don't take my phone.

My bill a month is only £18 including the watch and phone with 18GB of data....so for me the cost is good enough for me to keep it going...not sure id pay the £7 a month which a lot of new customers seem to have now...but that's just me

managed to sell the wifes old Series 3 Nike yesterday, made the upgrade cost to a used Stainless Steel 4 only £130 which was a bit of a bargain

My series 0 watch went for £100 last week as well...not bad for a 5.5 year old watch.....Id only been using it for sleep tracking anyway and might pick up an SE next year if the price drops to £199ish as their base model watch (even better if it comes with AOD then)...that will then become my exercise watch

Sold my series 4 for £200 which helped fund the upgrade.
The one good thing about Apple’s products is their resale value holds up well.

I've had my cellular enabled on my 4 now for almost two years and it gets used for similar scenarios as you've mentioned above...I run daily, its only 20 minutes, but it means a phone doesn't need to go with me.

I also occasionally ride locally on a 20-30 mile ride and often don't take my phone on that either, but can of course still be contacted. Every now and then I also pop into town to grab a few bits and again don't take my phone.

My bill a month is only £18 including the watch and phone with 18GB of data....so for me the cost is good enough for me to keep it going...not sure id pay the £7 a month which a lot of new customers seem to have now...but that's just me
Thanks. I think I've convinced myself I don't need cellular. It'd be the £7 on top for me, which would make my bill £17 a month for 10GB of data. I don't have Apple Music or Spotify to make use of that data, which is another benefit of a cellular model that I wouldn't see. Might just have to suck up the long wait time from Apple.

I’m still on the fence re a new AW. I currently have the series 4 SB SS but can’t decide between the graphite or the aluminium? You can tell the difference but is it “that” much of a difference to be worth the extra?....

Attachments

• E740858F-A351-4ECF-B4B7-05D52E1F12CB.png
    E740858F-A351-4ECF-B4B7-05D52E1F12CB.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 3F80DDA0-BA78-4740-AB91-B509D0D4D526.png
    3F80DDA0-BA78-4740-AB91-B509D0D4D526.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Thanks. I think I've convinced myself I don't need cellular. It'd be the £7 on top for me, which would make my bill £17 a month for 10GB of data. I don't have Apple Music or Spotify to make use of that data, which is another benefit of a cellular model that I wouldn't see. Might just have to suck up the long wait time from Apple.
Spotify doesnt (yet) work on mobile anyway..and in truth it's just as easy to sync music from your phone to your watch...remember if youre on Wifi you can get messages or calls still too

I’m still on the fence re a new AW. I currently have the series 4 SB SS but can’t decide between the graphite or the aluminium? You can tell the difference but is it “that” much of a difference to be worth the extra?....
And is £150 offered by Apple worth it? Any thoughts?....

Picking up my Nike Series 6 later today. Apple offering £135 for my Series 4 so I think I’ll take them up on that.

Picking up my Nike Series 6 later today. Apple offering £135 for my Series 4 so I think I’ll take them up on that.
not a terrible price i guess but I did sell my wife's s3 Nike 38 for £140 a day or so ago...

I’ve ordered the Graphite Stainless Steel with the £145 trade in but have just managed to sell my series 4 for £200. Is it simply a case of jus not sending it to Apple? I don’t have to let them know or anything do I? See this from Apple’s emai;

Apple Trade In
Estimated trade-in value:
£145.00
Your device:
Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel 44MM Cellular
You’ll receive a trade-in kit with a box, a prepaid label, and packing and shipping instructions to send back your old device.

I’ve ordered the Graphite Stainless Steel with the £145 trade in but have just managed to sell my series 4 for £200. Is it simply a case of jus not sending it to Apple? I don’t have to let them know or anything do I? See this from Apple’s emai;

Apple Trade In
Estimated trade-in value:
£145.00
Your device:
Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel 44MM Cellular
You’ll receive a trade-in kit with a box, a prepaid label, and packing and shipping instructions to send back your old device.
no idea, that said Id expect you to need to let them know as they are expecting a watch from you at some point a quick call/chat with CS should clear it up though

only £130 to her then bargain

Was determined I wasn’t going to upgrade my SS S4 silver this year but was becoming more and more envious of my wife’s Series 5 with screen always on so what the heck.

Now I like really silver, had a space black once but was was a bit worried about graphite but really pleased I went for it and glad I got the matching Milanese.
For anyone that hasn’t seen them side by side this is what they look like as a comparison.

oh and dispite only ordering last Monday for delivery on the 20th, it actually arrived on Friday out of the blue so wait times are not as bad as they may appear.
486AB949-572B-4CC6-A72B-8914B2FE22FB.jpeg
6A18DF4F-4368-47D1-8BA1-5FBB2767DCB7.jpeg

Was determined I wasn’t going to upgrade my SS S4 silver this year but was becoming more and more envious of my wife’s Series 5 with screen always on so what the heck.

Now I like really silver, had a space black once but was was a bit worried about graphite but really pleased I went for it and glad I got the matching Milanese.
For anyone that hasn’t seen them side by side this is what they look like as a comparison.

oh and dispite only ordering last Monday for delivery on the 20th, it actually arrived on Friday out of the blue so wait times are not as bad as they may appear. View attachment 1379992View attachment 1379993
I’ve ordered the graphite with Milanese. Have a delivery date of 27th Oct so hopefully will come earlier than that. Sold my series 4 today so might be without a watch for a couple of weeks.

I have the black link bracelet and am wondering how it’ll go with the graphite. I think it’ll be OK but how would you compare the SB with the graphite? Also, I had the silver SS series 0 and still have a silver link bracelet. Maybe the graphite will go with both? Seems the colour is in between the Silver and black?

I’ve ordered the graphite with Milanese. Have a delivery date of 27th Oct so hopefully will come earlier than that. Sold my series 4 today so might be without a watch for a couple of weeks.

I have the black link bracelet and am wondering how it’ll go with the graphite. I think it’ll be OK but how would you compare the SB with the graphite? Also, I had the silver SS series 0 and still have a silver link bracelet. Maybe the graphite will go with both? Seems the colour is in between the Silver and black?

Yeah correct Dave it’s sits nicely between the both. That said I’ve actually tried it with the silver and black and both work well too so I’m glad I kept them.
I found the Space Black watch too black personally whereas the graphite is a nice compromise between the two. In some light it does actually look silver and in other situations black.

i know they are more money and don’t hold their price too well but I just prefer the shine of stainless compared to aluminium and even the titanium.
Still think silver is my personal fave but a good excuse to return to that next time and have a change for a year or so.

Yeah correct Dave it’s sits nicely between the both. That said I’ve actually tried it with the silver and black and both work well too so I’m glad I kept them.
I found the Space Black watch too black personally whereas the graphite is a nice compromise between the two. In some light it does actually look silver and in other situations black.

i know they are more money and don’t hold their price too well but I just prefer the shine of stainless compared to aluminium and even the titanium.
Still think silver is my personal fave but a good excuse to return to that next time and have a change for a year or so.
Thanks for that. Been a v expensive year for Apple purchases (is there any other?!). This year I've bought a new iPad Pro (and Smart Keyboard), new MacBook Pro, New AirPods Pro's, now Apple Watch and iPhone 12 to come!!! (good job I'm worth it!)

Also note to Apple "please don't bring out a new iPad mini!!!

10 hours without an Apple Watch (posted off this morning). Not missing it as much as I thought I would so far.....

10 hours without an Apple Watch (posted off this morning). Not missing it as much as I thought I would so far.....
I think its much more missed by those who track activity on a daily basis

I think its much more missed by those who track activity on a daily basis
I’d find it really difficult to manage even half a day without an Apple Watch on my wrist.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom