Apple TV2 Wont Turn On

King Tones

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I was using my apple tv2 last night with no issues.
Its jailbroken only recently and have been using XBMC quite a bit.
Last night I added my Music Library (finally) and it was working fine. Added a few new videos and then just left it. Ended up leaving it on over night running XBMC just sat on the main menu screen not doing anything. I noticed this morning I had left it on so clicked the little power button within XBMC to quit out of XBMC to then sleep the Apple TV.
It closed XBMC but then it seemed to reset or reboot but seems to have got stuck rebooting as the little white light blinks once and it seems to start up but it gets to the Apple Symbol and the white light blinks again and it resets. It seems to be in a loop trying to load up but cant for some reason.

I tried resetting it using the Menu + Down Arrow for 7 seconds and same again it gets to the Apple Symbol then reboots.
I have taken the power cable out and left it for 30 seconds or so and same again...Apple Symbol then white light blinks and resets/reboots.

:confused::confused::confused:

Has me leaving it on screwed it up or something ?
It was working fine last night with no issues and worked fine this morning before I turned it off and tried to exit XBMC.

Any way I can resolve this ?

Plug the ATV2 into your computer using the USB micro cable (no other cables) start iTunes then click on the ATV2 and do a restore which will update to 4.4 or if you download the 4.3 firmware hold shift when you press on restore and it will load back in the 4.3 firmware which Apple are still signing.

Apple stuff can get stuck in a loop with jailbreaking, it just happens sometimes but couldn't say why.

Once the restore is done you should be able to re-jailbreak the ATV2 again, you could try using an alternate jailbreak tool instead of whichever one you used last.

Edit: Looks like Seas0npass is the only Windows option for the 4.3 8F455 build so your just going to have to jailbreak it again using that unless there is something else out there, Sn0wbreeze and Greenp0ison where never updated to jailbreak that version. Redsn0w might do it but I think it is meant for phones only.

Last edited:
Plug the ATV2 into your computer using the USB micro cable (no other cables) start iTunes then click on the ATV2 and do a restore which will update to 4.4 or if you download the 4.3 firmware hold shift when you press on restore and it will load back in the 4.3 firmware which Apple are still signing.

Apple stuff can get stuck in a loop with jailbreaking, it just happens sometimes but couldn't say why.

Once the restore is done you should be able to re-jailbreak the ATV2 again, you could try using an alternate jailbreak tool instead of whichever one you used last.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:
I was thinking it might need a restore of some sort.
I guess 4.4 cant be jailbroken as yet then ?
If I download the 4.3 firmware from your link where do I put it to ensure it uses that one then ? Or by holding shift does it do that anyways ?

Do I have to restore it before jailbreaking it again then ?
Does it not do that as part of the jailbreak ?

I used Seas0npass for the Jailbreak as suggested here, any others I could try ?
Edit - Just seen your edit, seems only Seas0npass at the moment then.

Is there any problems in leaving the Apple TV2 on constantly and never sleep it ?
I just seem to get the problem whenever I turn it off or shut XBMC down so dont want to get it all restored and have it happen again.
My NAS is always on so I guess there should be no issue leaving the ATV2 on ??

I guess 4.4 cant be jailbroken as yet then ?

4.4 can be jailbroken but it's a tethered jailbreak which means if it loses power than the ATV will default back to un-jailbroken state. You must use Seas0npass and follow their instructions, XBMC can be installed on 4.4 but it's bleeding edge so some command line work must be done.

If I download the 4.3 firmware from your link where do I put it to ensure it uses that one then ? Or by holding shift does it do that anyways ?

Doesnt matter were you put it, when you hold down the shift key and press restore in iTunes it will bring up an explorer window so you can select the 4.3 firmware to restore on the ATV2, if you just press restore then it auto updates the ATV2 to the latest firmware.

Do I have to restore it before jailbreaking it again then ?
Does it not do that as part of the jailbreak ?

Possibly yes, the ATV2 has to be put into whats called DFU mode, iTunes does this automatically but you can also do it manually, maybe you can do it with the ATV2 stuck in the loop but maybe you cant and need iTunes to kick the ATV2 out of the loop, if you could get it into DFU mode you could bypass the official restore.

There are also utility's that can kick iOS devices out of recovery mode/boot loop but these may be of no use as they are meant for iOS phones still you could always give it a try and see if it reverts to normal
* Tinyumbrella, select the ATV2 from left hand pane then click on exit recovery.

Is there any problems in leaving the Apple TV2 on constantly and never sleep it ?
I just seem to get the problem whenever I turn it off or shut XBMC down so dont want to get it all restored and have it happen again.
My NAS is always on so I guess there should be no issue leaving the ATV2 on ??

The ATV2 is always on you cant turn it off, the sleep mode just shuts off the display output only so it goes from 5w to 3w power usage.

Set it to sleep never in ATV2 settings.

4.4 can be jailbroken but it's a tethered jailbreak which means if it loses power than the ATV will default back to un-jailbroken state. You must use Seas0npass and follow their instructions, XBMC can be installed on 4.4 but it's bleeding edge so some command line work must be done.

Doesnt matter were you put it, when you hold down the shift key and press restore in iTunes it will bring up an explorer window so you can select the 4.3 firmware to restore on the ATV2, if you just press restore then it auto updates the ATV2 to the latest firmware.

Possibly yes, the ATV2 has to be put into whats called DFU mode, iTunes does this automatically but you can also do it manually, maybe you can do it with the ATV2 stuck in the loop but maybe you cant and need iTunes to kick the ATV2 out of the loop, if you could get it into DFU mode you could bypass the official restore.

There are also utility's that can kick iOS devices out of recovery mode/boot loop but these may be of no use as they are meant for iOS phones still you could always give it a try and see if it reverts to normal
* Tinyumbrella, select the ATV2 from left hand pane then click on exit recovery.

Thanks again, all makes sense. Will try getting it out of the loop first off and see if that helps.
Think pressing Menu and Play at the same does it.
If not I will try and restore it to 4.3 then run Seas0npass again and then never turn the bloody machine off :laugh: :smashin:

I think I might of mis understood your post about getting it out of the loop. If I try using tinyumbrella or the DFU mode might that fix my problem or are you just referring to doing it before jailbreaking it again to fix the problem ?

Sorry just want to be sure before I start doing something on it :)

Tinyumbrella might be able to kick it out of the loop but probably wont, if there is no option to exit recovery mode then there is nothing to do.

DFU mode is for flashing firmware to the ATV2, as part of the restore process when jailbreaking you put the ATV2 into DFU mode.

Won't let me restore it. Gives me a 3194 error saying it can't communicate with iTunes ???
Have turned off my anti virus as it suggested but won't let me restore to 4.3 or 4.4
Could j just run seasonpass again and see if that does it?

Nope that don't work either :(
Not sure what to try now
Have the latest iTunes and check that I can connect to iTunes as nothing has changed on my netbook since I last did it.
Think I have screwed my new gadget :(

3194 error is usually because of Tinyumbrella changing hosts file, start the app and untick the option in the settings, this link shows more details (I thought they disabled that by default now but apparently not)

Here are some other general tips if it still doesnt play ball after that.

3194 error is usually because of Tinyumbrella changing hosts file, start the app and untick the option in the settings, this link shows more details (I thought they disabled that by default now but apparently not)

Here are some other general tips if it still doesnt play ball after that.

I owe you a pint :thumbsup::D
The first link sorted it :clap::clap:

But I am unsure what to do now, after looking around the forum I came across the new WD Live Media Streamer and that looks pretty good.
But XBMC does look very nice but the WD might be more stable for my needs until I splash out on a Media PC and run XBMC on that :confused:

The WDTV Live is a more stable platform, it has a nice UI but it is nowhere near as slick/advanced as XBMC is. The network media streamer market still has to catch up to XBMC.

But if you can live without that then it will do fine, also worth noting are XBMC boxes are not far off, perhaps even next year.

But I would jailbreak the ATV2 again using 4.3, disable sleep, leave XBMC running on it all time and in general it should be okay.

The WDTV Live is a more stable platform, it has a nice UI but it is nowhere near as slick/advanced as XBMC is. The network media streamer market still has to catch up to XBMC.

But if you can live without that then it will do fine, also worth noting are XBMC boxes are not far off, perhaps even next year.

But I would jailbreak the ATV2 again using 4.3, disable sleep, leave XBMC running on it all time and in general it should be okay.

Yeah I think that is what I want, something nice and stable and a little bit less faffing.
The Apple TV is great but I am unsure if I could stop myself fiddling :D
I will give it another go and use Seas0npass and then I think I will just try and install XBMC and not NitoTV as that did cause me an issue when I first started the process the other week. Then I will add Updatebegone via SSH and then just add my Video's and see how it copes with it and not turn it off and just run reguar media library updates. See how ti goes with that and if I still get issues then I think I will look at the WD Live TV maybe.

Thanks again for all your help, I was ready to chuck it in the bin last night until you posted :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom