Apple TV2 V4.4.4 JBing Great News!

sorry new to this - I'm desperately trying to integrate this with my plex media server.

+1

Will be giving this a try on my newly purchased ATV very shortly. I run Plex in the Lounge on a Mini and the ATV is going in the Kitchen.

Please do keep us informed on how you did it and how easy it was, as I am new to JB too.

Careful Plex does NOT work on 4.4.4

So, before I go for it...is it straightforward to return to a completely standard ATV FW should I ever want or need to?

Do I need to preserve anything prior to the JB too?

In addition to this, can you guys confirm that installing Plex on the ATV gives me the nicer GUI I have with Plex 9.5 Laika on my Mini, or does it simply just allow us to playback non iTunes compatible files with the same GUI? I want the nicer front end more than the mkv playback tbh.

Tried YouTube for bids but most are quite old tbh.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
So, can anybody confirm by any chance guys?

I'm a little rough today, but when I get a chance I'll post a lil video of plex beta 4 running on my atv2, that has untethered jb using seas0npass.

It's not perfect, but it definitely works.

trumps said:
I'm a little rough today, but when I get a chance I'll post a lil video of plex beta 4 running on my atv2, that has untethered jb using seas0npass.

It's not perfect, but it definitely works.

Awesome! Thanks fella. I just wanted confirmation, so don't go to loads if trouble to video it. Although am interested to see it mind you. Lol. ;-)

Awesome! Thanks fella. I just wanted confirmation, so don't go to loads if trouble to video it. Although am interested to see it mind you. Lol. ;-)

it's working. definitely. and you get basic plex functionality with the gui that we all love.

trumps said:
it's working. definitely. and you get basic plex functionality with the gui that we all love.

The GUI we know and love, being that of ATV or Plex on the Mac?

bpsmith said:
So, before I go for it...is it straightforward to return to a completely standard ATV FW should I ever want or need to?

Do I need to preserve anything prior to the JB too?

Cheers guys!

Very easy..just connect it up to iTunes and restore..like you'd do on you iPhone, iPod or iPad

The GUI we know and love, being that of ATV or Plex on the Mac?
Nice to see that the new Beta works on 4.4.4 but bear in mind that it is a Beta release for testing purposes and there are known issues.

Plex on ATV is not the same GUI as Plex on a Mac, it is very similar to the standard ATV GUI. Im sure YouTube would have a video of it if you have a search.

hutch said:
Nice to see that the new Beta works on 4.4.4 but bear in mind that it is a Beta release for testing purposes and there are known issues.

Plex on ATV is not the same GUI as Plex on a Mac, it is very similar to the standard ATV GUI. Im sure YouTube would have a video of it if you have a search.

I have done loads of searching and watched quite a few on there already, but they all seemed to be older videos.

I just wondered if the interface had been updated since Laika got released. I am part way through converting via 720p TV Stuff and almost completed my Sons Disney collection.

I don't mind converting everything, so it's mainly the interface I am looking to bring inline with Plex on my Mini. If its similar to ATV then I won't bother. Nearly did it last night but had the wrong cable so couldn't. Perhaps lucky I didn't waste the time now?

It is almost exactly the same as the Apple GUI

Ok. So no gain there then.

The only other gains are being able to split my Wife and I's stuff from my Sons stuff, carry on where we left off watching something in the Lounge or on an iThing, and the Watched notification being sync'ed between rooms.

Can you confirm that these things are included?

Also, I assume that my Mini won't need to transcode those things that are already converted to m4v?

I am having problems jailbreaking on 4.4.4

every thing works fine until the itunes restore and I get error 1604 ...( Unknown error occured...)

Same issue twice now.

Anyone getting this?

css_jay99

I am having problems jailbreaking on 4.4.4

every thing works fine until the itunes restore and I get error 1604 ...( Unknown error occured...)

Same issue twice now.

Anyone getting this?

css_jay99

I had this error and two other different errors whilst trying to jb.In the end i restored through itunes,restarted the computer and changed the usb port i was using.Don't know which one of these resulted in the jailbreak working ,but i got i done eventually!
When jb is complete you can only tell by the red 'fc' logo in the bottom right hand corner of the tv screen.From here you will have to load your own 'appps'.Drop my a pm and i can point you towards a good one if you want.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Can you confirm that these things are included?

Also, I assume that my Mini won't need to transcode those things that are already converted to m4v?
Yes they are.

Correct, your mini will just carry on as it usually does, the ATV doesnt affect that at all.

Anyone confirm XBMC is all good on this JB?

Guys I'd hoped to get a video up and maybe even my own version of a 'how to' but I'm too stacked with other things on - but I will say that using the very simple directions here and then here, I now have Plex running just fine on my ATV2.

It's not perfect, and it doesn't compare to the brilliance of my mac mini setup, but it DOES allow all the nice things like picking up where you left off, filtering unwatched etc - with my existing plex library, which it found on the network unaided.

It took a few attempts to get it all going, not doing anything any differently tbh, just for some reason a few goes to get it working, but it does now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom