Apple TV with Arcam AVR30 problems

oliver reid

Novice Member
Reaction score
My AppleTV (4K gan 2) is connected to my Cable modem + router via an ethernet cable
AppleTV HDMI out goes too the AV input on the Arcam using an *K certified cable (Monster)
Arcam HDMI Output (aARC) feeds my LG OLED TV (same cable)

All Apple an Arcam software is up-to-date

I am seeing the following issues

• Playing Atmos tracks on Apple Music, the first few seconds of the sound are muted when directly selecting a song - but not when playing through an album from song to song
  • (see this movie — https://vimeo.com/657426952 )
  • When selecting video sources (shows, movies) the Arcam video output is shut off when switching to a stream with a different audio format (e.g. from 2.0 to 3/2.1). The screen goes black for several seconds and in some cases the LG says “no signal” for a second for so.
  • Same thing often happens when hitting the "back” button on the Apple remote while playing a show, to return to an App’s menu screen

Not fatal problems but quite annoying.

Is this an Arcam issue or an Apple issue?

My AppleTV (4K gan 2) is connected to my Cable modem + router via an ethernet cable
AppleTV HDMI out goes too the AV input on the Arcam using an *K certified cable (Monster)
Arcam HDMI Output (aARC) feeds my LG OLED TV (same cable)

All Apple an Arcam software is up-to-date

I am seeing the following issues

• Playing Atmos tracks on Apple Music, the first few seconds of the sound are muted when directly selecting a song - but not when playing through an album from song to song
  • (see this movie — https://vimeo.com/657426952 )
  • When selecting video sources (shows, movies) the Arcam video output is shut off when switching to a stream with a different audio format (e.g. from 2.0 to 3/2.1). The screen goes black for several seconds and in some cases the LG says “no signal” for a second for so.
  • Same thing often happens when hitting the "back” button on the Apple remote while playing a show, to return to an App’s menu screen

Not fatal problems but quite annoying.

Is this an Arcam issue or an Apple issue?

These issues are likely a mixture of both.

The first few seconds of Atmos being silent are the time it takes for the Arcam to lock on to the signal. Apple could leave the output type marked as the same between albums which might help with this. If you are changing between Atmos album and non-Atmos album though not much can be done although using Dolby Surround to upmix the non-Atmos albums will likely make it quicker (You can try this by changing to the Apple TV input then Input Config and changing both the "2CH Mode" and "MCH Mode" to "Dolby Surround")

About the 3rd and 4th point; the screen going black during change of audio format seems weird (This does not happen on my Roku). It could be a change of source frame rate on the Apple TV, if you have "Frame Rate Matching" enabled then try disabling it to see if the problem goes away:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom