Apple TV - Which One?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Banongading, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Banongading

Banongading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm looking for a bit of advice as to which Apple TV I should be looking at.

At present I mostly stream films and the like from my laptop via wireless with a program called Air Video Server and attach my iPad to the TV courtesy of my HDMI lead and an apple converter.

I'm wondering which Apple TV I need to stream the same movies and such like. Can I still do it from an Apple TV3, or do I need a Jailbroken 2?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    The AppleTV is not a local media streamer it is an iTunes extender so only media that resides in your iTunes library will play on it.

Jailbreaking an ATV is largely a waste of time due to having to source an ATV2, jailbreaking itself is an annoying affair (ATV's become a bit flaky as a result of JB) and the ATV2 only handles H.264 media in hardware so everything else must go to the CPU to decode which can only handle some low res videos.

If you get a WDTV Live it will play all your videos with no transcoding required, it can access the network shares direct on the PC or stream over DLNA servers (recommended if using wireless).

3. Banongading

Banongading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks very much for your post.

I kind of understood most of it! :D

So in order to play any movies, films etc. through an ATV 3, I would need to pop them into iTunes and for them to be iTunes compatible, ie MP4 etc?

Can you use programs such as Air Video Server and VLC to stream such like through ATV or do these become pretty much redundant?

Cheers

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    Yes.

No.

Well in a round about way if you set up Air video then airplay the video from your iPad to an AppleTV it can work out sometimes.

WDTV Live is the path of least resistance, Apple gear is not meant for playing a variety of media types.

5. Banongading

Banongading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great, thanks for the info. I think the WDTV Live maybe more suitable for our needs.

One last Q if I may, can I plug a portable HDD into the WDTV and stream off that. By that I mean update HDD with what I want and then stream from there thru the box to the tv, therefore missing out the wireless bit?

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,112
    Yes you can share out USB HDD attached to WDTV over the network.

7. dsw

dsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If it helps I've just bought my dad an ATV3 for such use with his ipad. I downloaded cinexplayer to the iPad which allows you to drag and drop virtually any movie file on to the iPad via iTunes. I gave him a USB stick with mkv's of my blu ray back ups on along with avi's of older dvds. He adds them to cinexplayer which then allows you to mirror full screen inc 5.1 to Apple TV.

Personally all my movie collection is on a wd mybook duo 6tb nas connected to my router and is streamed to a wdtv live smp as I don't want to always use my ipad for this but as for my dad it is only now and again this suits him much better, plus he can control and stream his iTunes music collection from the pc to the living room TV now controlled by his ipad which was the primary reason for getting him one. Sorting out the movie issue with an atv3 and no jb was just a bonus for him. The inbuilt media library function for network shares including a media scraper and movie sheets on the wdtv smp is pretty impressive for a automatic feature just as long as your movies are named correctly.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013