Apple TV vs Nvidea Shield - Best UI

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I really like the smart tv UI of my LG tv, but it doesn't support apple TV (seems the later models do but not mine) and so i keep forgetting i am paying for it. I have to watch apple tv on my firetv, but the ui for that is terrible, no decent way to arrange apps etc to make it super simple. As such toying with buying on of the options, but which is best option?

Just looking for streaming TV, with the following min services: youtube, netflix, amazon, bbc, tidal, amazon music, twitch, disney plus. rakuten.

What would you suggest?

I've got both, but considering what you're looking for why not just save some money and get an Amazon Firestick?

I've got both, but considering what you're looking for why not just save some money and get an Amazon Firestick?
Already have a fire TV 4k. It's UI is a mess. Amazon too busy advertising to make something useful. I have to go into sub menu to find apps most of the time.

Fair enough (and for the record I strongly agree on how bad the Amazon UI is) but, for the price...

If it's really just between the Shield and Apple, there isn't really a great difference as you can modify the lay out. The only real question is do you have any preference between the Google and Apple marketplace? If you are looking to buy movies I'd go for Apple, but if you're not I'd just get what you can find cheapest on the classifieds.

iPhone user= Apple tv maybe??
I run a Roku streaming stick plus and very happy with that.. no adverts. I can also mirror my iPhone to it.

Roku could be a option, I hasn't thought about. Amazon seems to be consistent, copying everyone's ideas, but doing it half hearted. Prime TV is a pale comparison to Netflix when it comes to UI.

FireTV works perfectly, just a shame it's UI isn't great.

Looks like there is a new software update coming slowly to fire fv with an improved home page. I guess I will wait to see if it improves things.

Looks like there is a new software update coming slowly to fire fv with an improved home page. I guess I will wait to see if it improves things.
Yes it’s better. Less pushy of Amazon material.

The update arrived yesterday and its better with the nice app bar that you can move apps around, but its limited to 4-5 apps, which isn't enough. Close but no cigar.

As someone mentioned, if it’s a case of ATV vs. Shield then it’s really a case of whether you prefer the Apple or Android ecosystem.

Both devices have all the apps you listed.

Having literally tried all the devices, the one my family prefers is the Apple TV-all the catch-up apps (with live TV elements in them) simple UI, easy to use, and they even like the remote lol.

I used to have a Shield but now use an Apple TV for all of my streaming services, I find the Apple UI to be far superior, but I am an iPhone user.

Yep I agree with everyone too. I'm not an apple person but think the ATV4k is the one to beat. All the frame rates are correct unlike most of the others

Thanks all, i will wait pay day and then buy one. In the meantime, i will try and find some youtube vids of their ui to get an idea of which will work better for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom