Apple TV vs Firestick vs Freeview box.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hey,

I have an Epson 9300. I have it in the lounge. I'm going to intiially connect it to bluetooth speakers but eventually an AVR.

I have no free view box etc.

Just the projector. All my devices are in the dedicated cinema room. What devices would serve me best in making my 9300 a servicable smartTV with features AND local media playback either via my share or via hard drive?

FYI I have Apple TV, Netflix, apple music subscriptions. I have alexas all over my house.

I was leaning towards a firestick but the lack of local playback I thought might annoy me. AppleTV wise.. I'm not that clued up on them to know which is best.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, in terms of access to streaming services, both are comparable and are probably the top external devices for this purpose, fire stick did have an advantage in that it supported 4k/hlg iplayer but I think I read that this has been pulled, you might want to check that.

For local playback, overall I would put The ATV in the second tier of devices, still better than a fire stick, loses points due to its inability passthrough, generally only an issue for lossless atmos, the ATV unpacks and sends as multichannel pcm so there should be no loss in quality but the atmos metadata will be lost, obvs a none issue whilst running bluetooth and a minor grievance for those who like seeing a Dolby light on their none atmos setups. Both devices lack usb so will need to be serviced via a share.

I only ever had entry level/mid level optomas but in my limited experience motion options are somewhat more restricted via PJs, this kind of makes a device which can adjust framerate for a variety of content a must, out of these 2 options the ATV is hands down the best for this, pretty much everything outside of a couple of elements within uk catch-up services and YouTube will refresh rate match, for UK content I workaround this by just setting the ui to 50hz. Fire stick you are limited to their own service, Netflix, Apple TV service and others will not refresh rate match

Lastly, and I am only really mentioning as you are using a PJ. For apples own services they use a higher bitrate when viewing via an apple tv when compared to none apple devices, I would say this is minor but considering the screen sizes in play then it’s something worth thinking about.

hope This helps

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, in terms of access to streaming services, both are comparable and are probably the top external devices for this purpose, fire stick did have an advantage in that it supported 4k/hlg iplayer but I think I read that this has been pulled, you might want to check that.

For local playback, overall I would put The ATV in the second tier of devices, still better than a fire stick, loses points due to its inability passthrough, generally only an issue for lossless atmos, the ATV unpacks and sends as multichannel pcm so there should be no loss in quality but the atmos metadata will be lost, obvs a none issue whilst running bluetooth and a minor grievance for those who like seeing a Dolby light on their none atmos setups. Both devices lack usb so will need to be serviced via a share.

I only ever had entry level/mid level optomas but in my limited experience motion options are somewhat more restricted via PJs, this kind of makes a device which can adjust framerate for a variety of content a must, out of these 2 options the ATV is hands down the best for this, pretty much everything outside of a couple of elements within uk catch-up services and YouTube will refresh rate match, for UK content I workaround this by just setting the ui to 50hz. Fire stick you are limited to their own service, Netflix, Apple TV service and others will not refresh rate match

Lastly, and I am only really mentioning as you are using a PJ. For apples own services they use a higher bitrate when viewing via an apple tv when compared to none apple devices, I would say this is minor but considering the screen sizes in play then it’s something worth thinking about.

hope This helps

Cheers mate.. thats been a massive help. Can't believe ATV doesn't have a USB for local playback of media!!

Not sure my wifi network is powerful enough and consistent enough to stream 4K/HDR content from the PC.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Cheers mate.. thats been a massive help. Can't believe ATV doesn't have a USB for local playback of media!!

Not sure my wifi network is powerful enough and consistent enough to stream 4K/HDR content from the PC.

Alternative could be the Nvidia Shield pro, that does have usb ports, supports the majority of UK services (4OD is missing but this can be casted if desperate).

Framerate switching, whilst not as good as apples does work, either via a third party app with a bit of setup or by using nvidia's match framerate feature (you push a button on your remote when the content starts and it switches)

Another advantage with the shield is proper audio passthrough.

The shield can resolution switch for local content (using say Plex or kodi) It can also function as a Plex server for other clients, transcoding if required (to get round any network/player limitations), it also has a decent ai upscaler.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom