Apple TV - Volume control from IOS App

Tezaa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping some gurus can help.

I can't figure out why I am unable to control the volume of my TV - via an Apple TV - via the IOS Control Centre App.
I understand for this to happen - TV volume control would be via HDMI-CEC. (This is opposed to IR control)

Context:
  • Panasonic JZ-2000 TV
  • Apple TV HD (3rd Gen) [Which supports CEC]
  • I believe I have enabled CEC on my Panasonic TV (Called: Viera Link)

• According to this article from Apple - it should be possible to control the volume of my TV using the volume buttons on my phone
    https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide/tv/atvb701cadc1/tvos

• I "can" turn the TV (via apple TV) on and off - which seems to suggest that the CEC is working. But no luck on volume control.

• Wondering what I am missing?
  • Are there any Panasonic TV owners out there that can successfully control the TV volume using their IOS phone App (via Apple TV?)

Any insight appreciated!

Regards,
Terry

I’m not at home to confirm things right now but one thing to check is that volume settings are set to Auto under Remotes and Devices.

Thanks. If you have a system to check - I’d most appreciate.

Yes I have it set to Auto in Remotes and Devices, so unfortunately not related to that.

Just heard that my friend is able to control his TV volume (via Apple TV-IOS App) - but only if he has an HDMI sound bar attached. Unplug the sound bar, and AppleTV is not longer about to control his TVs Volume.

The plot thickens …

Yeah doesn’t work with my HZ1000 either, but does with my JBL Bar 9.1.
Originally I couldn’t get it to work with that either, and then I realised my phone wasn’t connect to Wi-Fi.

Interesting. Thanks.

What model Apple TV do you have?
ATV4/HD and ATV4K(1st Gen)
I guess it’s just a case that Panasonic doesn’t support the function as it doesn’t work on either of my Panasonic TVs.

Last edited:
if you are doing this via an iphone as example you use the phone volume buttons for volume control

if you are doing this via an iphone as example you use the phone volume buttons for volume control
Yes that is correct, however it doesn’t seem to be supported via Panasonic TV’s.
When connected to a Panasonic the HDMI volume control option isn’t available in the settings menu.

Last edited:
Something occurred to me which I’d actually forgotten with regards to Panasonic TVs but you can’t control the TV volume using the Siri remote via HDMI either.
What happens is under Auto the ATV will grab the IR code from the TV and use that instead.

Hmmm. Yes this is a real shame.
Do we know if this function works in other TVs?

Looks like if I purchase a sound bar - then that could give me the option to control the volume via HDMI.
Funny thing is ... one of the main reasons I bought the JZ2000 instead of the JZ1000, was the way better sound system. Perhaps I would have been better to purchase the lower cost JZ1000 and invest in a good sound bar - that supports HDMI volume control. haha

On the subject of Volume ... I have also noticed that the Bluetooth (headphones) Volume on our JZ2000 is very low. Like when it is at 100%, it's uncomfortably quiet - at least to my ears.
Tried multiple BT headphones - same result.
Those same headphones on Apple TV have heaps of Volume.

Anyone else have this issue?

Hmmm. Yes this is a real shame.
Do we know if this function works in other TVs?

Looks like if I purchase a sound bar - then that could give me the option to control the volume via HDMI.
Funny thing is ... one of the main reasons I bought the JZ2000 instead of the JZ1000, was the way better sound system. Perhaps I would have been better to purchase the lower cost JZ1000 and invest in a good sound bar - that supports HDMI volume control. haha
Hi, how good is the sound ( and bass) compared to a having a separate sound bar and sub, like say a Sonos arc?

Hi, how good is the sound ( and bass) compared to a having a separate sound bar and sub, like say a Sonos arc?
Hi,

The sound on the JZ2000 is very good. Best integrated TV audio system that I have ever heard.

A good quality sound bar (with a good sub) could well likely be better, but I don't have one to compare.

IMO, some sound bars look a bit messy. In time, I'll likely implement a full home theatre audio system - which give proper surround sound.

Hi,

The sound on the JZ2000 is very good. Best integrated TV audio system that I have ever heard.

A good quality sound bar (with a good sub) could well likely be better, but I don't have one to compare.

IMO, some sound bars look a bit messy. In time, I'll likely implement a full home theatre audio system - which give proper surround sound.
Can you feel the bass and surround effect coming from around you from watching movies?

Can you feel the bass and surround effect coming from around you from watching movies?
The bass is acceptable - but not earth shaking, which you could get from a good sub.

The surround effect is likely as good as you would get from a typical sound bar, but I'm sure not as good as having actual surround sound speakers.

Why do you ask?

The bass is acceptable - but not earth shaking, which you could get from a good sub.

The surround effect is likely as good as you would get from a typical sound bar, but I'm sure not as good as having actual surround sound speakers.

Why do you ask?
I currently have a sonos playbar, sub, and 2 play1s.

Am considering:

1) upgrading the playbar to a sonos arc and get 55JZ1500
2) get 55JZ2000 and sell all my existing Sonos kit to have a simpler all in one setup

I'm trying to find out how good or not the JZ2000 speakers really are and whether I could live with the built in sound or would it be a significant downgrade.

Did you manage to get this working? I'm unable to do this with Denon AVR 4300H too

Unfortunately haven’t been able to get this working…. 😕
Really weird, the other night I was watching tv and noticed my phone looked different. The thumbnail for the tv show was large on the screen and it offered volume control. Strangely with no settings being changed I was able to control the volume of my AVR using the IOS control centre remote!! I could even use the volume buttons on my phone to control it.

I have no idea what brought this on but finally it was working. Following day, back to how it was. no control. The most frustrating part of tech in my house.

Edit: I decided to look into this further considering it was working temporarily and I think I maybe getting somewhere. I originally thought it was the projector giving me compatibility issues so I tried it on my TV and it was working fine (could control volume in control centre). Plugged back into projector but chose the HDMI port which doesn't support ARC and it worked! I can now control the AVR with iOS control centre. I mean this doesn't explain why it randomly worked the other day and may well revert back to not working but I feel I’m getting closer to sorting it if it isn't resolved already.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom