Apple TV - Two wishes - And I'd be all over this thing...

NeilF

1) Why doesn't it suport XVid and DivX? It's been hacked to do it, so surely Apple can make it do it?

2) Play lists. I want to be able to build up a playlist on the fly on the unit.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
There is a hack for Divx and Xvid but it's pretty damn intense!

If it supported them i'd be interested... but as it stands my Netgear EVA 8000 rocks enough for me!

NeilF

I thought there was hacks for Divx etc?
Read the first line of my post...

Yes, there are hacks, but if it can be hacked then it can be introduced as standard... (The hacks require a Mac to start with)

NeilF

but as it stands my Netgear EVA 8000 rocks enough for me!

What does that offer over the not much more expensive Apple TV? (Apart from DivX etc)

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Read the first line of my post...

Yes, there are hacks, but if it can be hacked then it can be introduced as standard... (The hacks require a Mac to start with)

Oops, sorry i somehow managed to miss that :(

Why would Apple want to support Divx? They want you to spend lots of money buying your music and movies through iTunes.

NeilF

Oops, sorry i somehow managed to miss that :(

Why would Apple want to support Divx? They want you to spend lots of money buying your music and movies through iTunes.

Because it would drastically improve its sales of the unit, therefore meaning more people are likely to spend more money on movies and music through iTunes...

trailer

Corporate policy.

Unlike companies such as Oppo who will distibute new firmwares upon the suggestions of its users the larger companies will dictate more what they let you do or can't do as the case may be. Check out the iPhone AT&T hacking stories.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Because it would drastically improve its sales of the unit, therefore meaning more people are likely to spend more money on movies and music through iTunes...

But Apple don't sell anything in their store that is Divx etc... anything you can buy from them works with Apple TV - so it's not going to improve sales in their store and i'd hazard a guess that they have done their research and believe that there aren't actually that many people who may buy an Apple TV that would also want Divx etc.... sadly i think otherwise and if Apple TV had some more features, namely Divx, Xvid, WMV support etc i'd buy one!

The Netgear has all manner of features over the Apple TV, but lacks the polish and GUI in my opinion... it'll play pretty much any file you can throw at it, isn't locked to iTunes etc...

Autopilot

Distinguished Member

It does not work like that, if it did they would. Divx users are in a minority. Walk down your local high street and ask how many people are interested Divx, i bet 9 out of 10 people have not even heard of it. Ask most people who own an ipod about formats and bitrates - no one will know what you are talking about, they just know they put their music on it and it works. That why Apple are the clear leaders, thats what they do well.

iTunes is the real cash cow, ipods and AppleTV are just means to getting people using it. Not only that, but they want you locked into their system. As frustrating as it is for some of us, thats the reality im afraid. Maybe it worth taking a look at that hack again.

NeilF

It does not work like that, if it did they would. Divx users are in a minority. Walk down your local high street and ask how many people are interested Divx, i bet 9 out of 10 people have not even heard of it. Ask most people who own an ipod about formats and bitrates - no one will know what you are talking about, they just know they put their music on it and it works. That why Apple are the clear leaders, thats what they do well.

iTunes is the real cash cow, ipods and AppleTV are just means to getting people using it. Not only that, but they want you locked into their system. As frustrating as it is for some of us, thats the reality im afraid. Maybe it worth taking a look at that hack again.

Well, in that case it's either look elsewhere or put up with converting DivX to MP4...

Anyone know if there's any quality loss when converting DivX to MP4?

ps: There is of course DivX Connect coming out any moment which is aimed at streaming media from your PC. Reviews suggest it's very good! DLink are releasing something soon I believe!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Well, in that case it's either look elsewhere or put up with converting DivX to MP4...

Anyone know if there's any quality loss when converting DivX to MP4?

ps: There is of course DivX Connect coming out any moment which is aimed at streaming media from your PC. Reviews suggest it's very good! DLink are releasing something soon I believe!

You won't lose quality converting to MP4....

stevos

Distinguished Member
You won't lose quality converting to MP4....

I don't think that is true, since I believe you are decompressing / recompressing the file further loss in quality is possible.

My wishlist would be for a much larger harddisk (250 or 300gb min), if they gave that i would buy it.

Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the harddisk?

NeilF

I don't think that is true, since I believe you are decompressing / recompressing the file further loss in quality is possible.

My wishlist would be for a much larger harddisk (250 or 300gb min), if they gave that i would buy it.

Anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the harddisk?

Yes you can upgrade the disc, but it's a 2.5inch so there are limits to the size of it... Do a google...

stevos

Distinguished Member
Will do, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom