• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Apple TV sound quality

vinylman

Established Member
Can anyone explain to me why my DAC shows 48khz output of audio when I know that some of the audio I am playing is not encoded at that sample rate?
Also, I am currently configuring my set up as follows...
Apple TV connected by HDMI to Panasonic smart tv, optical sound out to Moon 300D DAC, analogue RCAs sound out to Arcam A28 amplifier, Abbey Road Bi wire speaker cables feeding a pair of B&W 684 speakers.
Is this the best way to get sound from my Apple TV? I could take the sound optically straight out of the ATV into the DAC but then I would not be able to listen to normal TV through my amp and speakers...

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Easy, Apple TV (except the 1st version) upsamples everything to 48Khz, some peeps would say it's not viable for hi-quality music playback as it's not bit-perfect.

vinylman

Established Member
amcluesent said:
Easy, Apple TV (except the 1st version) upsamples everything to 48Khz, some peeps would say it's not viable for hi-quality music playback as it's not bit-perfect.

Thanks! Any suggestions regarding the second part of my question?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Thanks! Any suggestions regarding the second part of my question?

Bits are bits, can't see why the HDMI in-S/PDIF optical out on the TV should be a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom