Question Apple TV on series X

philb65

Standard Member
This is probably a dumb question but I’ve seen that Apple TV+ is coming to the latest consoles which I’ll hopefully have delivered on the 10th. I’ve just had an Apple TV box delivered as part of a broadband bundle and I’m wondering if there is any point in keeping it? I won’t use it on any other TV so Im assuming the xbox app will have everything that the dedicated box will?

Thanks for the sanity check!

amardilo

Distinguished Member
I'd guess the Apple TV can do stuff like AirPlay and screen mirroring for Apple Devices and play music from services like Apple Music and connect to other Apple services like Photos which I am not sure the Apple TV+ app on the Xbox will do.

Relic23

I'm not 100% on this but based on the Apple TV app on other devices, I believe the main difference is that if you want to watch iTunes Extras, it will only be available via the Apple TV itself.

philb65

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies. I’ve never used Apple TV before and the broadband deal came with a free box and a years subscription. I‘ll probably only use the basic service so it sounds like I might as well sell and subsidise the xbox. :thumbsup:

reecie

I switched to using Apple 4K instead of using my current Xbox. Just a better experience. Especially in being wife friendly.

philb65

Standard Member
I’ve just realised the year free is tied to the device when you first start it up so I might keep it after all for at least the year.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I would stick with the Apple TV, Xbox is great for general media usage but I would not use it as my main Media Centre.
Assume the Apple TV will use less power and just be easier to use with the included remote, Save you buying a media remote for the Xbox or using the Controller or App.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I would stick with the Apple TV, Xbox is great for general media usage but I would not use it as my main Media Centre.
Assume the Apple TV will use less power and just be easier to use with the included remote, Save you buying a media remote for the Xbox or using the Controller or App.

Guess it depends on how many HDMI slots you have free.

I have Apple TV + or whatever it is bundled with my phone but no device to watch it on TV with so the Apple TV Xbox integration is super neat for me. Wouldn't buy an Apple TV box as just not enough to make it worth it for me.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Guess it depends on how many HDMI slots you have free.

I have Apple TV + or whatever it is bundled with my phone but no device to watch it on TV with so the Apple TV Xbox integration is super neat for me. Wouldn't buy an Apple TV box as just not enough to make it worth it for me.

Oh I only have 1 HDMI being used in the Lounge for a Firestick and 1 being used in the Games Room for the Xbox.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
I’ve just realised the year free is tied to the device when you first start it up so I might keep it after all for at least the year.

Nothing stopping you claiming the free year that would be tied to your Apple ID (and not the device) and then selling the Apple TV.

philb65

Standard Member
All good points everyone. I’ll try it out when the Xbox arrives and see if it’s worth keeping. Thanks for all the advice.

reecie

Nothing stopping you claiming the free year that would be tied to your Apple ID (and not the device) and then selling the Apple TV.

That's sort of the case based on my experience. I had to claim the free year actually on the device I had bought. After that it is against your Apple id and you can watch it on any device that supports Apple tv.

gerdav

That's sort of the case based on my experience. I had to claim the free year actually on the device I had bought. After that it is against your Apple id and you can watch it on any device that supports Apple tv.

Same here, I had to claim it in the settings on the new iPad, once claimed it’s tied to your Apple ID, I can watch TV+ and all my iTunes movie and TV purchases via the Apple TV app on my Samsung QLED.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom