2018 owners will be very surprised to see the ATV+ app - there still seems to be some link with Airplay being made available for a given TV

2018 owners will be very surprised to see the ATV+ app - there still seems to be some link with Airplay being made available for a given TV

If that's the case, that's a very poor show and I'll be unlikely to watch Apple TV for a while.

That said, I heard rumours that the 2018 models will get AirPlay 2 eventually.

If you have an OLED then an ATV 4K is a good complement giving Itunes movies in DV/Atmos, ATV+ (free year's sub) in DV/Atmos (some episodes at least), and Disney+ soon too - or one of the ÂŁ30 sticks might do the job too

Looks like that's the only way at the moment. I already get 1 year free with my new iPhone 11 Pro.

Just ordered an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in the Amazon Black Friday deals. ÂŁ29.99. Fingers crossed that allows me to watch it.

Just ordered an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in the Amazon Black Friday deals. ÂŁ29.99. Fingers crossed that allows me to watch it.
It will, but not in Dolby Vision. It’s limited to HDR10 and because of a bug or Apple error it currently only gets an SDR version of everything.

Good news. Apple TV app is coming soon, as can be read in the new Firmware changelog.
- 04.71.05 - see below - Dec 2019
  • Featuring NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible, US, EU, et al
  • Apple TV App Support (Apple TV App–Supported Devices) - not available in all regions
  • includes Magic Remote firmware update
  • the AutoCal elevated blacks issue seems to be fixed with this firmware

I guess that's only the 2019 models as I can't see them enabling G-Sync for anything older.

Good news. Apple TV app is coming soon, as can be read in the new Firmware changelog.
  • Apple TV App Support (Apple TV App–Supported Devices) - not available in all regions
Can you please confirm if Apple TV app is installed after the latest software update?

Can you please confirm if Apple TV app is installed after the latest software update?
No sign of the app yet. I guess the TV is ready now but Apple hasn't released the App yet.

Perhaps Apple did agree for it to be exclusive to Samsung for TV apps for 2019 at least. It's also cheeky if it's not DV/Atmos on the Firestick/Roku as that cant be for any technical reason either.

I went for an ATV 4K as back then I never expected Apple to release apps for non-Apple hardware but as there's no sign of it coming to 2018 LG or before it probably wasnt too bad a decision to get one.

ATV+ works fine via airplay to the C9. Dolby Vision and Atmos work fine too.

New for 2020, the ‌Apple TV‌ app allows customers to subscribe and watch ‌Apple TV‌+ and ‌Apple TV‌ channels as well as access their iTunes video library and buy or rent more than 100,000 films and TV shows. Customers with 2018 and 2019 LG TV models will also be able to enjoy the ‌Apple TV‌ app this year.

This whole Airplay thing on LG TVs is confusing to me. If I happen to have my LG TV powered-up at the same time as my Mac, the Mac will list the LG TV as an Airplay target (they are on the same local network). Admittedly, I haven't played with this at all, but I have no idea how this would work. Does this mean, for example, that I could stream ATV+ content to the TV, or from other apps. such as VLC from the Mac? It's not something that I've given much thought to, but any insights would be helpful. My LG TV is a 2019 model and, if I recall correctly, I did see a message some time ago about AirPlay2 support, but I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time.

Clem

@Francis7: where are you seeing the details that you posted please? LG has just released firmware version 4.71.04, the changelog for which only references the Nvidia change. The ATV app update is of interest, simply because having recently got a new iPhone I can get a year of AppleTV+ free. I can't see the point of applying update 4.71.04 only to have to apply the .05 update again in the near future. I don't like applying updates unless they're really needed.

Clem

I've just received confirmation from LG that the 04.71.04 update, which has just surfaced, does NOT contain support for AppleTV+/app. Apparently, it's still being developed, with no ETA available.

Clem

I have tested Apple TV app in my C9, and it works flawlessly, even Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. It is not in the recent Apps tab though, you have to manually search for it in the LG Content Store. Well done Apple. Bye Firestick.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom