Shame. Seems we are going to be the last to get it. Having to watch on my iPad.

1572622101436.png

Doesn't sound like it's going to be any time soon. Shame.

Currently watching on my iPad as my PC can't stream anything that appears to be over 720p for some reason.

My LG TV I a 2019 model, one that supports AirPlay. With airplay I can stream TV+ content with no issues but the quality is only HD.

I would really like a native app on the LG TV.

Mine is a 2018 model so no sign of AirPlay support yet (although I beleive the hardware is physically capable).

My LG TV I a 2019 model, one that supports AirPlay. With airplay I can stream TV+ content with no issues but the quality is only HD.

I would really like a native app on the LG TV.

That's a bit rubbish then. I'll only check it out if we can get 4k.

I decided to buy an Apple TV 4K. They're not cheap but they they do hold their value so when the app finally appears I'll just sell it on.

If you keep an eye out you can sometimes get a little money knocked off. I used an eBay offer to get 10% off through Argos a couple of days ago. I think that offer has ended now but I expect they'll have another one up soon, Black Friday isn't too far away.

Apple is more interested in its own ecosystem, and having to release the app. on non-Apple kit must be uncomfortable, having to recognise that not everyone owns an iThing. I suspect that app. availability will depend in part on how well the subscriber numbers do. Right now, there's nothing that tempts me in the slightest.

Clem

Apple is more interested in its own ecosystem, and having to release the app. on non-Apple kit must be uncomfortable, having to recognise that not everyone owns an iThing. I suspect that app. availability will depend in part on how well the subscriber numbers do. Right now, there's nothing that tempts me in the slightest.

Clem
What will be uncomfortable for Apple is the fact that the picture quality isn’t that great on at least one other device. The PQ difference between an Apple TV box and an Amazon 4K Firestick is quite obvious added to the known missing features like Dolby Vision and Atmos.
How many people will realise or care I have no idea, but I imagine it must annoy the developers.
On the other hand restricting TV+ to Apple only devices would have almost guaranteed failure.
They could find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
It’s the numbers game, I suppose. As they used to say in the rag trade, “Never mind the quality, feel the width”.

Clem

If the ATV+ app had come out on multiple LG models and supported DV there would have been a lot of praise and publicity for the picture quality as published reviews of the content have been mixed.
Perhaps Apple thinking was (and might change as time goes on) Samsung TVs and sticks give them subscriber numbers without threatening the ATV 4K as remaining the top platform technically for ATV+ and Itunes movies.

As @Puntoboy mentions above, the success of Netflix is due to the fact that it’s available on all smart TVs, most PVRs, streaming boxes, etc. If Apple is serious about ATV+ then it needs to do something similar. TBH, I don’t see the Apple offering going the distance, but the company will pour lots of cash into it, without doubt.

Clem

They've chosen wisely with the price, and technically its far above current TV services, but the amount of content at launch and its availability as apps on all the TVs people have is going to hurt compared with Disney+ and existing services.

The ATV+ reviews are mixed but so are some of the Disney+ new content. But Disney have such a back catalogue it will make sense as a continuous subscription to many - ATV+ seems more like an on-demand boxset service.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom