Apple TV on Amazon FireStick 4k

Pooler

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a FireTV 4k stick recently and was stunned when I saw AppleTV is now included as an APP. I've been thinking about buying an Apple 4k Box to access the much cheaper library of 4k films.

So excitedly I installed and bought 4 or 5 films - so here my issue.

It does not actually tell you that it is playing in 4k and there does not seem to be any way of getting the APP to tell you. The picture does look great but with the films I have bought it is hard to tell. When I play films from Amazon Video they are definitely streaming in 4K.

Does anybody know for sure that Apple TV on a Firestick 4k streams in 4k ?

The ATV 4K makes sense if you want DV/Atmos either for an Itunes collection into the dozens or ATV+ service or Disney+. Perhaps the Amazon stick does DV too. The ATV 4K doesnt do HDR10+ or youtube in 4K or iplayer in HLG.

On the ATV app on the ATV 4K there is a category for 4K movies. If you pause the film and click to exit then a box pops up with movie info including whether its 4K, DV, Atmos etc. This is like the Prime app which when you pause shows HD or UltraHD on the overlay (but UHD is also in the title)

Also, in general if the TV flags up HDR/DV then its likely youre on the 4K stream.

I just got one in sale for 29.99, but hope it does 4k!

I think I read somewhere that for AppleTV+ shows to be seen in 4K with double dolby, you have to be using an AppleTV box
same with Disney+ I think

For DV and Atmos it does seem to need the ATV 4K box but the o/p was just asking about 4K res not even single Dolby

The ATV 4K makes sense if you want DV/Atmos either for an Itunes collection into the dozens or ATV+ service or Disney+. Perhaps the Amazon stick does DV too. The ATV 4K doesnt do HDR10+ or youtube in 4K or iplayer in HLG.

On the ATV app on the ATV 4K there is a category for 4K movies. If you pause the film and click to exit then a box pops up with movie info including whether its 4K, DV, Atmos etc. This is like the Prime app which when you pause shows HD or UltraHD on the overlay (but UHD is also in the title)

Also, in general if the TV flags up HDR/DV then its likely youre on the 4K stream.

Yes I spotted that when clicking Back it has a list of parameters such as 4k, CC, HDR but I took that as being what the film was available in rather that what it was actually streaming. Mine consistently says 4K for the ones I have bought so if you are confident that the caption tells you what it is presently streaming then I guess that's the answer. Cheers

I cant be certain for firestick, as I have an ATV 4K but it shouldnt say 4K if your device cant handle it

Got 4k fire stick yesterday, and it appears to give me DV or 4k/HDR/UHD for all if titles are in this. On amazon video I get DV come up and it says DV on LG C8 when select picture mode, sound is in DD+ it says on Denon amp, the fire stick is plugged in to media player input.
Finally got signed in to apple tv app and it looks superb after only seeing in HD on older TV, Peter Rabbit in 4k was glorious. So for me it appears to work well, sure expect the apple tv box is better still but 29.99 for now is better.
The remote for me is way better in the hand and proper click buttons to!!

Purchased a film on AppleTV that I already own on disc last night (Prometheus) as a final test and did a side by side comparison on my projector. Ok, so it is without doubt 4k.

On first watch the disc version looked brighter with more detail coming through and the sound more punchy although having said that the stream was pretty damn good and the casual observer would maybe not distinguish the two. I then realised that I had HDR switched off on my disc player (HDR not great with projectors) so adjusted the settings and the two version then became even closer.

In my opinion if the price was the same I would buy the disc but for me the quality is so similar that I am happy with the streams. At present The Shining is ÂŁ20 for the disk yet on itunes it is a quarter of the price. Similar story for a lot of films.

The stream also allows you to watch it anywhere so this FireStick with AppleTV is probably going to make me finally make the jump into the world of streaming. My only reservation is keeping enough bandwidth when the entire family are on the internet :)

If you keep an eye on these threads
and this site
you'll get the most out of Itunes movies

The sound will always be better on disk but enjoying as many 4K movies as possible is #1

I have a question for you, I live in Portugal, and trying to decide if I should get the Apple TV 4k or the Firestick TV 4k, Apple here it's expensive 199 euros for the 32Gb version, can't seem to find firestick in shops, if I buy it in the UK, will it work here? I don't want the BBC I-player, here we have hbo as well as the usual Apple TV

I bought an original FireTV Stick from the US, when they launched there and use it here with no issues.

I believe ATV's don't care about the country you use them in either. You will have to use the appropriate 'stores' for each device though, unless you fudge your geolocation using a DNS proxy or VPN.

Paul

Got 4k fire stick yesterday, and it appears to give me DV or 4k/HDR/UHD for all if titles are in this. On amazon video I get DV come up and it says DV on LG C8 when select picture mode, sound is in DD+ it says on Denon amp, the fire stick is plugged in to media player input.
Finally got signed in to apple tv app and it looks superb after only seeing in HD on older TV, Peter Rabbit in 4k was glorious. So for me it appears to work well, sure expect the apple tv box is better still but 29.99 for now is better.
The remote for me is way better in the hand and proper click buttons to!!
You need to set the Dynamic range settings to Adaptive on the 4k Firestick.. this way if it's in DV it'll switch to DV. If it's in HDR it'll switch to HDR (Amazon and ATV are mainly HDR and Netflix is DV)

If you leave it set to its default Dynamic range settings, it seems to implement DV on everything (even the Firestick home page, and apps, also if the content is actually in HDR it'll still display it as DV)..

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, I did notice that things that were not in DV were showing in DV and every time I was on home page first it came on TV DV to.

Is anyone else finding the Apple/iTunes movies volume quiet and lacking a powerful sound? I have to turn the volume up by about 10-15db more and even then it just doesn’t sound anywhere near like other streaming services.

I like the fire stick otherwise and the picture is really good. I have the audio set as best available and the stick is plugged into my av receiver.

Prime videos sound exactly how you would expect. A dynamic sound, more presence and more powerful sound overall.

Last edited:
yeah only tried one peter rabbit but did have to go much louder, where as on amazon any seem much louder and punchy. I have similar set up with it plugged in to AVR.

Wonder why it’s like that. Is it the same if you use the Apple TV box does anyone know?

Wonder why it’s like that. Is it the same if you use the Apple TV box does anyone know?
I have an Apple TV box 4k, just bought it few days ago, now that you mention it, the volume is lower as well, was watching Netflix through Apple TV and had to turn the volume up a lot more than I normally do, also watching See, on Apple tv+, the box is plugged in my amp

That’s a shame. I’m going to use prime then instead as the sound is far better.

That’s a shame. I’m going to use prime then instead as the sound is far better.
Apart for the low volume, the sound is good, I didn't get the firestick 4k just because it's not available here, I'm in Portugal

Hello, as I'm new to Apple tv, I need to ask a question, If I buy a film from the app, is it mine to keep? can I watch it as many times as I want or is it limited to numbers of time? also can I watch it on different devices?
Thank you in advance
Gerry

Buy yes, yes, no, yes
Rent no, yes, limited to 48 hrs period starting inside a month, yes

Not sure you can buy from the firestick ATV app - I use Itunes on PC. Films and credit are linked to your Apple ID (account) not a device.

Thank you for your reply, now I understand, sorry, didn't mean an app, I have the Apple TV 4k box

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom