Apple TV help

ScottC25

Established Member
Reaction score
Purchased an apple tv at weekend, and looking for some help with it.

I am in the UK and it appears to have set itself to 4k HDR 60hz

Should it be set to the 50hz option instead?

When I try to do the Dolby Vision test, it just goes blank and nothing else then happens until such time as I try to wake it up again, however when playing a something thats in Dolby Vison, the TV notifier flashes up to say that its in Dolby vision.

Also, when watching anything on Prime Netflix etc, when you stop the program and look to go back to the main menu, there is a brief delay, where the screen goes blank and the tv then comes up to say "no signal being received" before taking it back to the menu.

It is connected to a Sony STR DN1080 reciever, and an LG OLED TV

Anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of the pause and blank screen as you stop the watching of a programme as its getting on my nerves a bit?

Thanks

I am in the UK and it appears to have set itself to 4k HDR 60hz

Should it be set to the 50hz option instead?

if you have frame rate matching enabled it shoudn't really make any difference, as the device will switch to whatever is appropriate for the content being played.

60Hz should give you a slightly smoother experience when navigating the menus.

Also, when watching anything on Prime Netflix etc, when you stop the program and look to go back to the main menu, there is a brief delay, where the screen goes blank and the tv then comes up to say "no signal being received" before taking it back to the menu.

i believe what you are seeing is the frame rate switching kicking in, the screen will be blank whilst that happens.

my LG CX does the same when switching framerates on my shield.

4K SDR with match dynamic range and match frame rate enabled is the recommended settings as not all apps support dynamic range matching so you don’t really want a forced HDR/DV applied to SDR content.
50hz or 60hz is down to personal preference.
If you intend on playing games then 60hz would be my preference.

4K SDR with match dynamic range and match frame rate enabled is the recommended settings as not all apps support dynamic range matching so you don’t really want a forced HDR/DV applied to SDR content.
50hz or 60hz is down to personal preference.
If you intend on playing games then 60hz would be my preference.
I take it if set to this, it will still auto detect HDR and DV content and switch to it anyway?

Unlikely to be playing games on it I would say.

if you have frame rate matching enabled it shoudn't really make any difference, as the device will switch to whatever is appropriate for the content being played.

60Hz should give you a slightly smoother experience when navigating the menus.

i believe what you are seeing is the frame rate switching kicking in, the screen will be blank whilst that happens.

my LG CX does the same when switching framerates on my shield.
So, just have to live with it then re the frame rate switching?

So, just have to live with it then re the frame rate switching?

yeah, if you want the content to play correctly.
it's just the way the TV handles the switching, it's not the appletv doing it as such.

Thanks for your help guys, reassured me that there's nothing wrong and that I haven't messed up the set up too much!!

Thanks for your help guys, reassured me that there's nothing wrong and that I haven't messed up the set up too much!!

Hi mate is this the first 4k Device you have used with your DN1080? by default the ports will be set to standard and not enhanced, I am guessing that is why the 4k 60DV test was failing, content is usually 24hz which is within the standard bandwidth threshold.

In case you are not sure this is how you change it
Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 16.26.58.png

Thanks, there has been a 4k firestick connected, so pretty sure this has already been changed, but will double check anyway just to make sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom