marky.b

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m waiting delivery on a 75” Sony 9505 4k
I have Apple TV 4th gen box (non 4K )
So should I updated to a 4K Apple TV
Or will my box upscale 720 1080 hd content to 4k

The Gen4 apple tv will work on your TV. Your tv will upscale a 1080p picture to 4k but it wont add extra detail thats in a 4k picture.

I found HDR made just as much an improvement as moving to 4k. The ATV 4K does HDR. The 4th gen box doesnt. If you have the money then Id recommend getting the ATV 4K as you should notice a huge difference watching 4K HDR content. Just make sure you get a hdmi cable capable too. You may just have a 1080p capable cable now. The ATV 4K does have a cable test, so It will tell you if it's capable of passing 4K HDR (incl. Dolby Vision). I went for a 8k certified cable from Amazon just to future proof me at little extra cost.

Thank you
So does the 4K Apple TV add the extra 4K detail on non 4K content

no doesn’t add more detail on non4k content. If it doesn’t have it it can’t make it up. As an example a 4k picture might show a pimple on a newscaster. A 1080p picture may not. If you increase the size of the picture from 1080p to 4k it can’t then decide to add a pimple to it. Not the best reason to get 4k, to see pimples, but you get the idea.

The upscaling from 1080p to 4k can actually create a much sharper picture than just a 1080p so you may be please with the improvement with your current box.

The difference between that and 4k hdr is huge though. Mrs and I were watching a 4k hdr version of Gardians of the galaxy 2 at the weekend. The wife said to me it’s like we’re there with them! It’s that good at times. some films are better than others. 4k discs are better than streaming but the 4k hdr content on Apple and Netflix can look really special

Thank you
I’ll see what my non 4K box looks like once the tv arrives
And then I’ll decide if to to get the 4 k version

Good idea.. You certainly don’t have to buy that now. It will really impress you when you do get it though :D

Good idea.. You certainly don’t have to buy that now. It will really impress you when you do get it though :D
Just seen that the 6th gen Apple TV may be announced in early spring so may hang on to see what happens
It’s not that long off now

If you update to the latest firmware of the TV upon arrival, it has newly released Apple TV app on the TV, as well as all the other usual apps you would need so you will probably find that you can repurpose the Apple TV to a different room ☺️

Don’t know why I didn’t think and say that :laugh: great call:smashin:

does it have Apple app ? My A1 didn’t

If you update to the latest firmware of the TV upon arrival, it has newly released Apple TV app on the TV, as well as all the other usual apps you would need so you will probably find that you can repurpose the Apple TV to a different room ☺
So the onboard apps support 4 k
That’s good to know
Would that be the same with the you tube apps as well

So the onboard apps support 4 k
That’s good to know
Would that be the same with the you tube apps as well
Yes all the major streaming apps e.g. Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ATV (for iTunes and ATV+ content), Youtube, BT Sport etc. all support 4K HDR where content is in that format :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom