• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Apple tv app on Firestick 4k

joshbhx

Does the apple tv app on Firestick 4k play content in 4k? I’ve seen some people say it just plays 1080p so wanted to check as Im thinking of buying a firestick for the apple app.

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
As far as I’m aware it does, the only things it won’t do will be iTunes Extras, Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Frisbeepop

I know the Firestick does Dolby Vision but does the ATV app as I read elsewhere that it doesn’t, unless of course it was added since that review was done.
100% works in the app. Dolby Vision flags trigger on display, switches to Dolby Vision preset and displays in info window as Dolby Vision for the content

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Dolby Vision - Yes
Dolby Atmos - No (it's DD+ 5.1)

Frisbeepop

Plays Dolby vision but only 1080p
8F181CA1-A41B-4B09-A6C7-DA62AF61EC3C.jpeg

Dolby Vision. 3836/4K.

You may need to mess around with settings in fire stick display and also toggle the TV off and on.

My Hisense TV sometimes won’t feedback what the HDMI can handle to the fire stick so I toggle to standard and back to enhanced HDMI for that input. That forced the fire stick to rehandshake the display, although the fire stick defaulted back to 1080p 60HZ.

Once I changed the display to “match rate up to 4K”, the Apple TV app went straight to 2160p. Still 60 frame though as won’t natively do 24or 23.976 frame on Apple plus low bandwidth too (capped at about 10Mbps)

tigermad

Distinguished Member
View attachment 1402511
Dolby Vision. 3836/4K.

You may need to mess around with settings in fire stick display and also toggle the TV off and on.

My Hisense TV sometimes won’t feedback what the HDMI can handle to the fire stick so I toggle to standard and back to enhanced HDMI for that input. That forced the fire stick to rehandshake the display, although the fire stick defaulted back to 1080p 60HZ.

Once I changed the display to “match rate up to 4K”, the Apple TV app went straight to 2160p. Still 60 frame though as won’t natively do 24or 23.976 frame on Apple plus low bandwidth too (capped at about 10Mbps)
Thanks for the reply. Couldn’t get out to work. Have plugged it out again anyway. Whenever its plugged the internet goes to a crawl. 9mbps. When I plug it out back to 80 again. Very weird.

Gravyboat74

I'm a couple of years late here, but what the Hell. I have, plugged into my mere1080p tv, a Firestick 4k (I bought this to be futureproofed when I eventually upgrade the TV). The resolution set to automatic. The Firestick is a great piece of kit, except when it comes to the Apple Tv app: this is the only app which does not output at 1080p. Doing some tests on old Itunes movies, I've ascertained that my blu ray digital copy of Star Trek Beyond outputs at 1920 by 804 pixels (!), and my recently purchased on sale copy of Predator outputs at 1920 by 1038 pixels. I'm assuming that the other titles in my (limited) library also output at below Full HD, which I think would explain the soft washed out quality to their pictures. My question is this: is there a general problem with the Apple TV app on Firestick, or is this intentional on Apple's part, to encourage people to upgrade to their Apple TV boxes?

b1g1an

I'm a couple of years late here, but what the Hell. I have, plugged into my mere1080p tv, a Firestick 4k (I bought this to be futureproofed when I eventually upgrade the TV). The resolution set to automatic. The Firestick is a great piece of kit, except when it comes to the Apple Tv app: this is the only app which does not output at 1080p. Doing some tests on old Itunes movies, I've ascertained that my blu ray digital copy of Star Trek Beyond outputs at 1920 by 804 pixels (!), and my recently purchased on sale copy of Predator outputs at 1920 by 1038 pixels. I'm assuming that the other titles in my (limited) library also output at below Full HD, which I think would explain the soft washed out quality to their pictures. My question is this: is there a general problem with the Apple TV app on Firestick, or is this intentional on Apple's part, to encourage people to upgrade to their Apple TV boxes?
Those are both 1080, you're not accounting for the black bars.

Smurf100

Re: the washed out quality, is the firestick perhaps trying to play/output STB / Predator in DV / HDR respectively? Does the device let you disable HDR, etc to see if that solves things?

The two movies will be 4K DV / 4K HDR in your itunes account - the apple tv device has loads of options to select/change the output, I don't have a firestick.

Gravyboat74

Those are both 1080, you're not accounting for the black bars.
I thought about that, but I don't think that would account for Star Trek TMP being 1916 by 810, as I discovered yesterday. Besides, letterboxed movies on Prime and Disney+ all register as 1920 by 1080, so...

Gravyboat74

Re: the washed out quality, is the firestick perhaps trying to play/output STB / Predator in DV / HDR respectively? Does the device let you disable HDR, etc to see if that solves things?

The two movies will be 4K DV / 4K HDR in your itunes account - the apple tv device has loads of options to select/change the output, I don't have a firestick.
Nope, the display settings are correct, Adaptive rather then HDR Only, so it's definitely SDR onscreen. This was confirmed by the Firestick's AV diagnostic tool-the TV has no facility for HDR or Dolby Vision, so neither is output through the Firestick. It's weird.

b1g1an

I thought about that, but I don't think that would account for Star Trek TMP being 1916 by 810, as I discovered yesterday. Besides, letterboxed movies on Prime and Disney+ all register as 1920 by 1080, so...
1920 is the width of 1080, so that's exactly what it is. Star Trek obviously has quite big bars, Predator just the thin ones, assuming you're not stretching the picture to fit of course. The player is telling you the dimensions of the actual film not the TV you're watching it on, perfectly normal.

Gravyboat74

Whatever's going on the picture is really quite poor, at least for 'Full HD' anyway. Perhaps things will improve when I upgrade to a 4K TV. If not, I'll either learn to live with it, or consider purchasing an Apple TV box in the future.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom