Apple TV App Availability

nathanhill69

I own a Phillips 50PUS8204/12 Android TV and read that the Apple TV App should now be available on the Play Store. When I check the Play Store the Apple TV App isn't listed at all, just no sign of it? I initially assumed the TV wasn't compatible for the App but then I saw, on another thread that the owner of a Phillips 43PUS7304 has it installed no issues. Everything is up-to-date so a bit confused why the App is seemingly not available for my TV model? Did contact Phillips support and their usual stock suggestion is "do complete re-installation" which obviously means loosing all settings and Apps and I have little faith this is a valid answer and a step that takes a long time to get your TV set back to how it was.

Last edited:

nathanhill69

So been speaking with support and in typical Philips logic the Apple TV App is only available on certain models and not others. So, it would seem a lesser model to mine from 2019-2020 gets the Apple TV App yet, for some strange reason, my Philips Android TV from the same year and higher model doesn't get the Apple TV App. I could understand if it was older TV's not getting it but Android TV's from the same year I would expect to get it - especially when the higher version TV is denied it yet the cheaper TV isn't. Final Tech support sugggestion - buy a Fire TV Stick.

I say this not due to this one thing, more a catalogue of issues with Philips TV's but this kind of typifies their firmware rollouts and general software...... I will never buy another Philips TV, or recommend one. Good job it's my spare room TV and not my primary one.

markfawcett

So been speaking with support and in typical Philips logic the Apple TV App is only available on certain models and not others. So, it would seem a lesser model to mine from 2019-2020 gets the Apple TV App yet, for some strange reason, my Philips Android TV from the same year and higher model doesn't get the Apple TV App. I could understand if it was older TV's not getting it but Android TV's from the same year I would expect to get it - especially when the higher version TV is denied it yet the cheaper TV isn't. Final Tech support sugggestion - buy a Fire TV Stick.

I say this not due to this one thing, more a catalogue of issues with Philips TV's but this kind of typifies their firmware rollouts and general software...... I will never buy another Philips TV, or recommend one. Good job it's my spare room TV and not my primary one.
They’re wrong.

Apple TV was available on my 65PUS8204 and it’s also available on my 65PUS8505. It should, according to TP Vision’s press release, be available for all Philips TVs running Android 8 or higher.

nathanhill69

They’re wrong.

Apple TV was available on my 65PUS8204 and it’s also available on my 65PUS8505. It should, according to TP Vision’s press release, be available for all Philips TVs running Android 8 or higher.

Let's face it, wouldn't be the first time they got something wrong. However, first reported issue via live chat and initially told to do full re-install of firmware. This was followed up by a phone call from Philips asking how that had gone (I hadn't done it by this stage) and then then the next day a another phone call from the same agent stating they'd received an internal memo detailing that certain models running Android 8 would not get the Apple TV App.

Interesting that your 65PUS8204 has the Apple TV App but it doesn't show up on the store for the 50PUS8204. Possibly the two TV's have different chips in them and the 50" isn't deemed to be secure enough for Apple TV content or, alternatively, Philips advice is off. Maybe a full re-install is required.

markfawcett

Let's face it, wouldn't be the first time they got something wrong. However, first reported issue via live chat and initially told to do full re-install of firmware. This was followed up by a phone call from Philips asking how that had gone (I hadn't done it by this stage) and then then the next day a another phone call from the same agent stating they'd received an internal memo detailing that certain models running Android 8 would not get the Apple TV App.

Interesting that your 65PUS8204 has the Apple TV App but it doesn't show up on the store for the 50PUS8204. Possibly the two TV's have different chips in them and the 50" isn't deemed to be secure enough for Apple TV content or, alternatively, Philips advice is off. Maybe a full re-install is required.
It’s been temporarily pulled from all Philips TVs due to bugs, so a reinstall won’t fix it.

Even the mighty Apple stuff their software up sometimes!

nathanhill69

It’s been temporarily pulled from all Philips TVs due to bugs, so a reinstall won’t fix it.

Even the mighty Apple stuff their software up sometimes!
So this sounds more plausible - likelihood is when I came to download the App it had already been pulled. Now why Philips themselves couldn't just say this rather than going around the houses? I actually wasn't going to do a full re-install as a lot of hassle re-setting the TV back up and I knew this is Philips stock answer to almost all enquiries no matter what.

Last edited:

simon7425

Same problem with the Philips OLED805 running Android 9. No compatible Apple TV app listed despite the well publicized news that it would be available on ALL Philips TVs on Android 9 and some on Android 8 would need to install from playstore.

How are people getting on with this now?

radicspeter13

Standard Member
8535 i have managed to install it from PlayStore. Now i can not find on it, but still installed on my tv. Should i grab the apk and share here?

stoomc

Came on to say I couldn’t find this either 😥
Hopefully it will make its way back, it’s the only app I’m waiting for so I can get rid of my Apple TV

simon7425

Apple TV app is now available for the Philips 805 but the library won't display my titles. I've tried a reinstall but no luck. Anyone else had this issue?

simon7425

The Apple TV app for the Philips range of Android TVs is extremely bug ridden and slow. Unless I'm doing something wrong. My library won't display at all and playing from 'Watch Now' takes an eternity.

Netflix/Disney all working fine.

Any suggestions anyone?

bernymoon

Standard Member
The Apple TV app for the Philips range of Android TVs is extremely bug ridden and slow. Unless I'm doing something wrong. My library won't display at all and playing from 'Watch Now' takes an eternity.

Any suggestions anyone?
Same. I have microfreezes all the time when I use the app.

bernymoon

Standard Member

Any suggestions anyone?
I think I found a solution! Uninstall it and download the version from the philips app store (not google play). It works a lot better.

simon7425

Haven’t reinstalled it but it seems much better now. My library displays and the movies start playing almost immediately.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom