apple tv and itunes problem

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Hi

Just bought an apple tv but cant get it to appear in my itunes library i have tried everything...

switched off apple tv
switched of pc
made sure all settings are correct in itunes
made sure apple tv is connected to network/internet

i have itunes 7.6.2.9 and cant upgrade as have unlocked iphone

after several hours surfing the internet and trying the above i tried my wifes PC which has itunes 7.6.1... and it appeared for a while then disappeared again

there are appears to be a lot of people having this problem - had i known this i wouldnt have bothered buying it

does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it or if there is a fix for this

cheers

chris

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Hi

Just bought an apple tv but cant get it to appear in my itunes library i have tried everything...

switched off apple tv
switched of pc
made sure all settings are correct in itunes
made sure apple tv is connected to network/internet

i have itunes 7.6.2.9 and cant upgrade as have unlocked iphone

after several hours surfing the internet and trying the above i tried my wifes PC which has itunes 7.6.1... and it appeared for a while then disappeared again

there are appears to be a lot of people having this problem - had i known this i wouldnt have bothered buying it

does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it or if there is a fix for this

cheers

chris
have been looking on the apple forum and it appears this is a common problem now - wish i'd known that before i bought it doh ! may be going back if they dont fix this !

Well I have 7.6.2.9 and all is working just fine! Don't know what you mean by upgrade as I have just done a software update and there is nothing available.

Are you sure it is not a networking (Wifi) issue....Especially when it appears and then disappears. What kind of AP do you use? How is the SSID configured, speeds, channel and frequency...

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Well I have 7.6.2.9 and all is working just fine! Don't know what you mean by upgrade as I have just done a software update and there is nothing available.

Are you sure it is not a networking (Wifi) issue....Especially when it appears and then disappears. What kind of AP do you use? How is the SSID configured, speeds, channel and frequency...
Wifi seems to be ok as it picks up an ip address i can ping the address from my pc and get 4 replies. I tried using wired ethernet but same problem the apple tv picks up an ip address from dhcp and i can ping it from a pc on my network and get replies no problem. The network side must be fine as the apple tv can get out through the router onto the internet and interact wit flickr etc.... but will just not appear in itunes.

any other suggestions ?

cheers

chris

I've had an issue on my network whilst running both N (AppleTV, MBP, MB, iMac) and G (Wii, PS3, iPhone) using the same ssid with devices appearing and disappearing whilst maintaining individual Internet access. Once I split my access points to different SSID and experimented with the channels they all became consistent in their operation.

A radical but worthwhile alternative exercise would also be to reset the AppleTV to factory standard and resync from the start....Perhaps not ideal but it might sort out whatever has happened...

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
I've had an issue on my network whilst running both N (AppleTV, MBP, MB, iMac) and G (Wii, PS3, iPhone) using the same ssid with devices appearing and disappearing whilst maintaining individual Internet access. Once I split my access points to different SSID and experimented with the channels they all became consistent in their operation.

A radical but worthwhile alternative exercise would also be to reset the AppleTV to factory standard and resync from the start....Perhaps not ideal but it might sort out whatever has happened...
Hi the apple tv is new and never worked with my PC on itunes 7.6.2.9 I will rest to factory to test it and let you know how i get on.

Do you think the issue is with 7.6.2.9 ?

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
I have tried all the suggetions you guys have made but still no joy. I agree that the apple TV appears to be ok as it can connect to network and the internet etc... so probably lies with my router or PC (i still reckon it lies with itunes 7.6.2.9) although i have tried eveyrthing with regards to my PC (reinstall itunes, bonjour, knock off firewall, open ports etc..) I have however now admitted defeat and have reluctantly phoned apple to come and collect it.

I may have to go down the mac mini route or go with a non apple product.

thanks to everyone who offered advise

Don't know whether I already asked, but can you ping the appleTV from your PC? And have you done a port scan to ensure your PC ports are open?

FlawlessAbyss

Novice Member
Is your Apple TV configured as part of your internal network? If so your firewall will block the incoming traffic as it treats it as a 'flood' attach. I had to create a rule allowing this from the Apple TV's IP address. This did the trick. Also I did notice that if I switched on my MacBook Air and lauched iTunes it kicked the Apple TV off my iMac. Need to look into that part a bit more.

Hope this helps.

neh0

Novice Member
My Apple TV used to drop off my home network when I had it configured to use DHCP.

I've moved it to a static IP address and it's been fine ever since so it might be worth seeing if this works in your set up.

It's unlikely to be a firewall issue if it's on the same wireless subnet as your other machines.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom