Apple TV - Amazon Prime playback issues

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased the latest apple TV and I am experiencing a few issues.

Firstly it refuses to allow chroma 4:4:4 but I think that is an issue with my AVR, and ultimately not a major issue.

More importantly it refuses to play back Amazon prime stuff. All I get is a white circle /flower like it's trying to play but failing. Any ideas what could be the cause? I have already tried uninstalling the app and restarting the device but neither worked.

I also tired buying new hdmi cables with ultra uhd spec trying to solve the first problem, but didn't solve either.

I recently purchased the latest apple TV and I am experiencing a few issues.

Firstly it refuses to allow chroma 4:4:4 but I think that is an issue with my AVR, and ultimately not a major issue.

More importantly it refuses to play back Amazon prime stuff. All I get is a white circle /flower like it's trying to play but failing. Any ideas what could be the cause? I have already tried uninstalling the app and restarting the device but neither worked.

I also tired buying new hdmi cables with ultra uhd spec trying to solve the first problem, but didn't solve either.

Amazon app is a bit of a mess at the moment. HDR isn’t working and I also get the loading screen. Have to back out then try playing again and it’ll usually work.

Amazon app is a bit of a mess at the moment. HDR isn’t working and I also get the loading screen. Have to back out then try playing again and it’ll usually work.

Thanks, a bit of a shame as I brought the apple TV to replace my fire TV which was having annoying feature bugs and generally poor UI. Seems no perfect streamer currently

Thanks, a bit of a shame as I brought the apple TV to replace my fire TV which was having annoying feature bugs and generally poor UI. Seems no perfect streamer currently

the only perfect device for watching amazon content is an amazon fire device.
every other device amazon has issues either purposely or from incompetency

The best device I have is my LG TV, but that doesn't work on the projector and doesn't have appletv

The best device I have is my LG TV, but that doesn't work on the projector and doesn't have appletv

the appletv app is available on my LG (the CX), have you checked the app store recently to see if it's available for your TV?

the LG version of the amazon app has it's issues too though.

Unfortunately not, I read it was added to the following year series onwards. Don't really get why it won't just be added to all as it's just an app store and gui, but it isn't so meh.

I can’t say I’ve had issues with it since Prime app became available however many years ago. It’s only been 2-3 weeks I think since issues started. Hopefully there will be a Amazon update shortly to fix.

I can’t say I’ve had issues with it since Prime app became available however many years ago. It’s only been 2-3 weeks I think since issues started. Hopefully there will be a Amazon update shortly to fix.

sounds promising if its a new issue.

There was an update for Prime sitting in the App Store today, so I updated and restarted the ATV just in case and…….still no HDR.😡🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Amazon are utterly useless!!

It’s version 1.2.4 fwiw.

I had the same problems with the Amazon Prime Video TV app from the end of July. The app would not correctly playback HDR for content like Bosch. I also had the loading problems with 4K/HDR shows as reported earlier in this thread.

I set my Apple TV to 50 HZ SDR with match frame rate and match dynamic range and all other apps with 4K/HDR content worked fine so this was clearly an Amazon Prime video bug which I reported to Amazon.

I have just updated the Prime Video app to version 1.2.4 which was released 18th Aug. I can confirm that the updated app correctly plays back HDR content on my LG OLED48CX. I get a notification of HDR when the video loads. I have confirmed this in the TV information screen (confirms BT.2020 colour space which is required for HDR) with the correct 4k and HDR labels also in the info section accessed by clicking the down button on the Siri remote during playback.

I had the same problems with the Amazon Prime Video TV app from the end of July. The app would not correctly playback HDR for content like Bosch. I also had the loading problems with 4K/HDR shows as reported earlier in this thread.

I set my Apple TV to 50 HZ SDR with match frame rate and match dynamic range and all other apps with 4K/HDR content worked fine so this was clearly an Amazon Prime video bug which I reported to Amazon.

I have just updated the Prime Video app to version 1.2.4 which was released 18th Aug. I can confirm that the updated app correctly plays back HDR content on my LG OLED48CX. I get a notification of HDR when the video loads. I have confirmed this in the TV information screen (confirms BT.2020 colour space which is required for HDR) with the correct 4k and HDR labels also in the info section accessed by clicking the down button on the Siri remote during playback.
Just done the same and updated the App and 4K/HDR flags are now displayed on the TV and also the dropdown when playing something back

Working here too this morning. No idea why it didn’t work yesterday after updating the app. Very strange.

Just updated to version 1.2.4.

Apple 4K Gen 1
LG 55B6

HDR now back on Amazon Prime. :D

Thanks for the heads up.

Appears to be working now, I guess it was just an update it needed.

how do you get hdr10+ on amazon prime with apple tv? noticed my tv app is getting hdr10+ but ATV is only hdr.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom