Apple TV 4th Gen

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by stevel99, Aug 25, 2018.

1. stevel99

stevel99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve recently bought an Apple TV 4th Gen which I would like to use mainly for occasional Now TV subscriptions, Plex and Netflix. The Apple TV is much better for using Netflix and Plex. I also have a TiVo box, both of which are connected via HDMI to my Samsung Smart TV (UE37ES6300). The TiVo box is connected to HDMI 3 and the Apple TV to HDMI 2. However the picture quality of the Apple TV when connected in this way is not good, the picture colours are very ‘wishy washy’. If I swap the two devices around, it’s the picture quality of TiVo which is very inferior. So both really need to be connected to HDMI 3 to get best picture quality which is clearly not possible, unless I use an auto-switch or something. I can’t find anything in the TV manual which suggests a difference in the HDMI ports. Any ideas why this might be and a way round it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Same TV picture preset settings in place on both inputs I assume ?

Go into the video settings->video and audio->HDMI output of the AppleTV and change the video output format from RGB to YCbCr. I previously owned a similar Samsung 6 series and an ATV, Samsungs HDMI RGB black level auto setting and the ATV auto settings didn't always work well together.

Beyond that it has to be the TV picture settings or faulty HDMI input/cable on the TV.

If it comes to it you can get HDMI switches with IR remotes.

3. stevel99

stevel99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Apple TV output format is already YCbCr. Before I go any further i’ll Try and get an alternative HDMI cable.