Apple TV 4K

Glen1977

Any of you have this connected to an OLED/4K TV? Thinking of getting one but also wondering if it’s worth the £200... I’ve already got Netflix, Amazon Print Video etc so don’t need it for that. My main attraction is the ease of displaying photos and videos from my iPhone and iPad and playing games on my B8 55”. Just wondering if it’s worth it for those reasons or is there a load more stuff that I don’t know about? I know the App Store is different on the Apple TV but what’s the games selection like and I’ve never used iTunes but I understand you can rent/buy films and movies from there but is theee any difference from Netflix and Prime Video?

bltn

Standard Member
I’ve got an Apple TV 4K hooked up to my 4K Samsung TV and I think it’s great, so much faster than the Samsung interface and the benefit of the apps/games is good.
I’ve bought a few TV games for the Apple TV which has the advantage that if you were to switch TV manufacturers down the line you’d still have access.
That said, I believe all new LG OLED TVs are getting AirPlay2 support this year, and the feature is backward compatible with 2018 models too which would mean you’re paying £160 just to have access to iTunes movies and tv shows...

Glen1977

I’ve got an Apple TV 4K hooked up to my 4K Samsung TV and I think it’s great, so much faster than the Samsung interface and the benefit of the apps/games is good.
I’ve bought a few TV games for the Apple TV which has the advantage that if you were to switch TV manufacturers down the line you’d still have access.
That said, I believe all new LG OLED TVs are getting AirPlay2 support this year, and the feature is backward compatible with 2018 models too which would mean you’re paying £160 just to have access to iTunes movies and tv shows...
Thanks bltn, I’ve read about 2019 LG’s having airplay 2 integrated but not older models, I believe there’s an ongoing petition/protest which I obviously hope bears fruit! So would having airplay 2 give all the features that the Apple TV gives? Also heard the Roku sticks may get AirPlay 2?

bltn

Standard Member
Thanks bltn, I’ve read about 2019 LG’s having airplay 2 integrated but not older models, I believe there’s an ongoing petition/protest which I obviously hope bears fruit! So would having airplay 2 give all the features that the Apple TV gives? Also heard the Roku sticks may get AirPlay 2?
You wouldn’t get features such as the App Store, iTunes movie apps or similar.
It would effectively provide Chromecast-esque features, I.e. streaming video, music, photos from your iOS device

Glen1977

You wouldn’t get features such as the App Store, iTunes movie apps or similar.
It would effectively provide Chromecast-esque features, I.e. streaming video, music, photos from your iOS device
I see but I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video so would it make any difference not having iTunes access? Although saying that could you not stream an iTunes film from your iPhone/iPad to B8?

bltn

Standard Member
I see but I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video so would it make any difference not having iTunes access? Although saying that could you not stream an iTunes film from your iPhone/iPad to B8?
If you’re content with the built in apps on the TV there’s no justification for an ATV especially as AirPlay will probably come to the C8 later this year

next010

Distinguished Member
I would seriously doubt LG will bring Airplay to any older model, consider me shocked if it does.

You can get AppleTV 4th gen 1080p only (4K is 5th gen), which has the app store and Airplay support for around half the price on ebay.

bltn

Standard Member
I believe it was a software update that brought the App Store which allowed apps to be downloaded (they can all stream your photos/videos), not hugely helpful but i have a feeling the series 3 supported that update.

Glen1977

I would seriously doubt LG will bring Airplay to any older model, consider me shocked if it does.

You can get AppleTV 4th gen 1080p only (4K is 5th gen), which has the app store and Airplay support for around half the price on ebay.
Yeah same here and it’s so frustrating that others are but LG appear stubborn.

jwsg

I bought the ATV4K wiith a C8 specifically to access Itunes 4K movies (in DV and Atmos). Although UHD disk might offer slightly better PQ and better audio there's no way I could have quickly built up a collection of 4K films, Itunes had a week last month with many at £3 for exampl.

Possibly a £40 device or the new Samsung TV app would technically be capable of streaming those movies, but for LG owners £180 is the price of admission and part of the cost of putting together a coherent 4K system - a 4K TV cant live in a vacuum.

There's also the Apple TV streaming service coming up - otherwise you really need Netflix or similar to get the benefit of a 4K OLED. I wouldn't have got one for any other purpose though.

Glen1977

I bought the ATV4K wiith a C8 specifically to access Itunes 4K movies (in DV and Atmos). Although UHD disk might offer slightly better PQ and better audio there's no way I could have quickly built up a collection of 4K films, Itunes had a week last month with many at £3 for exampl.

Possibly a £40 device or the new Samsung TV app would technically be capable of streaming those movies, but for LG owners £180 is the price of admission and part of the cost of putting together a coherent 4K system - a 4K TV cant live in a vacuum.

There's also the Apple TV streaming service coming up - otherwise you really need Netflix or similar to get the benefit of a 4K OLED. I wouldn't have got one for any other purpose though.
Yes I’ve read about the March 25th event where Apple may announce this new streaming service. But it’s another monthly subscription and how will it be any different to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video which I’m paying for? What I really want is the wireless ability to see any photo and video on my iPhone or iPad onto my B8 plus be able to play games on there too. It seems Apple TV is the only way? But at £180 it’s steep for what I’m after. I just hope the rumours of an Apple streaming stick which should be a lot cheaper is true as hopefully I can do the things I’ve stated!

Zeusyburger

Hi, anyone noticed an audio issue with ATV4K Netflix app when watching atmos content??

ATV4K > denon (2018) atmos enable receiver > Sony Af9

Decent compatible hdmi cables, no problems with other content from Xbox or even atmos from iTunes via ATV4K

I noticed the center channel outputs through the rear speakers, randomly...

Watching “top boy” exhibits this issue but varies every time... could it be a software, or compatibility issue

Any thoughts or similar experiences cheers

Zeusyburger

I could just watch Netflix via the Sony Af9 in built app, but I love the convenience of the ATV4K

hope this gets picked up on an update

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom