Apple TV 4K, the one box to rule them all

raz77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had the Apple tv 4K box since its launch day in the UK, I have 4 I total in my house and one in another property I own. In all my years off buying AV equipment, I have to say it has been the best bit of kit I have bought and the one that is used the most. It just gets better and better. Since it’s launch they have added match frame/dynamic rate, and Atmos sound. I use this box for Netflix, Amazon prime, BT sport and all uk catch up services, apart from when watching BBC UHD stream, the one thing it can’t do at the moment. Where this box really excels, is the world of content it open ups. I have UK iTunes account with hundred of movies in 4K HDR/Dolby vision, depending if I watch on projector or Oled. Large selection of TV shows in HD, all extremely low prices, good bargain threads on the forums regarding this. Now having a US iTunes account allows many films to be bought allot earlier and sometimes far cheaper than UK prices, no vpn needed and have again 4K and Atmos. This is where it gets better is with the latest update, switching between accounts is simple. A very good friend of mine also has the same setup, we both have a large collection of films And tv shows in the UK/US. We have set up each other accounts on our Apple TVs. Disney + this week opened up a new array of classic films like the Star Wars collection in 4K and Atmos. its been a joy watching two off my favourite Pixar movies in full 4K HDR/Dolby vision glory with a good Atmos mix, Wall E and Ratatouille. Yes the sound mix will never be as good as disk but the mix is extremely good and picture quality again is very close to what a disk can achieve. Add in the fact you have the Movies anywhere app, VUDU, it’s just opens up a whole world of content. I use Netflix UK on my tvs built in streaming apps, while Netflix on Apple TV via VPN is set to US. This allows shows such as the latest Pekey blinders series and shows like ITVs criminal to be seen in 4K HDR/Dolby vision with 5.1 sound. This is not available in the UK. The weakest link for streaming on the Apple TV, is the very very poor app from Now TV. Again the shows that I want to watch on there, I now watch via HBO max on apple TV and US Netflix has many of the shows sky has the rights to in the UK. This is my personal opinion, others may agree or disagree, but this has to be for me the best piece of AV equipment I have used since 2017 when it first came out.

Which is the most up to date version? Is it gen 4? Seems to be two on Amazon, with the gen 4 being cheaper so I'm wondering which one is the latest version? Also is 32G enough or should I go for the 64GB?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
ATV 4K is the one you want.

Agree, just stick with 4K 32 or 64gb. All mine are 32gb. Just need a good high speed internet.

ATV 4K is the one you want.
Thanks, so that's a 5th gen :thumbsup: I've been using a 1080p Firestick and have have 4k Netflix and Amazon built into the LG OLED TV, but having recently been using Apple TV+ app on the Firestick, I've been extremely impressed with the picture quality, So now considering a dedicated ATV box as I've heard they're hard to beat for PQ.. I assume Netflix looks as good or better than the built in TV app?

Right, silly question time :D How do you navigate up, down, left right as the remote doesn't have the buttons for it? I don't have an iphone or ipad if that's needed for a remote..

Agree, just stick with 4K 32 or 64gb. All mine are 32gb. Just need a good high speed internet.

Thanks, I have Virgin 200Mbs so should be good enough..

Netflix should be just as good as your tv app. The remote is touch sensitive to move up and down. There is a section above the buttons that you just touch with you fingers to move around.

Netflix should be just as good as your tv app. The remote is touch sensitive to move up and down. There is a section above the buttons that you just touch with you fingers to move around.
Thanks, that I can live with, I just can't have those motion sensitive mouse pointer remotes on my sofa as the waves of bass keeps bringing them to life on screen at every opportunity :D Even more so now with subs under the seat :cool:

I'll probably wait it out till Black Friday and see if there's any deals about as I'm in no rush and only really want to get something good for the UK launch of Disney+ and the current ATV subscription (got a 1yr family sharing plan from my Mum who bought a new iphone recently) Just have to try and not watch the little amount of content on there beforehand though :laugh: I'm already 2 episodes into SEE (which is brilliant BTW) and one episode into For All Mankind..

I agree with the OP. The apple TV is the piece of AV Kit I use almost exclusively. I no longer have a TV licence as I am streaming/blu ray only (though streaming prob makes up 95% of my usage as it is so much easier than getting out a disc to put on). In fact for my usage the only thing that is missing is the ability to show 24hz content correctly with the frame skips every 40 or so seconds. Once apple finally/ever sort this out then it is an unbeatable piece of kit and along with the iPad the best value for money item they sell.

Thanks, that I can live with, I just can't have those motion sensitive mouse pointer remotes on my sofa as the waves of bass keeps bringing them to life on screen at every opportunity :D Even more so now with subs under the seat :cool:
If you don't like the supplied ATV remote (I personally hate it) you can use any IR line of sight remote - it's really easy to set up. I'm currently using a Xbox one media remote, as well as one that came with a Chinese Android box.
Teach an infrared remote to control Apple TV
  1. Open Settings
    Settings
    on Apple TV.
  2. Go to Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote, then follow the onscreen instructions.

If they added a SKY app it would be perfect, I agree with the OP though it’s a fantastic bit of kit.

If you don't like the supplied ATV remote (I personally hate it) you can use any IR line of sight remote - it's really easy to set up. I'm currently using a Xbox one media remote, as well as one that came with a Chinese Android box.
Teach an infrared remote to control Apple TV
  1. Open Settings
    Settings
    on Apple TV.
  2. Go to Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote, then follow the onscreen instructions.
Thanks, I have a Harmony One so I'll probably use that, assuming you can teach it the left right up down buttons..

Thanks, I have a Harmony One so I'll probably use that, assuming you can teach it the left right up down buttons..
Yes definitely. I found trying to enter emails/passwords using the supplied ATV remote to go up, down, left, right, etc, to get to the exact correct letter a pretty masochistic experience

I’m no fan of Apple, but had to concede to having 2 of these for streaming services. The biggest issue that does not look like it will be resolved anytime is the lack of YouTube UHD support.

The ATV 4K is a great supplement to the apps on your TV if you want iTunes movies and ATV+ service (and possibly Disney+) in DV/Atmos.

My LG apps for Youtube and Iplayer support 4K HLG and Netlfix/Prime in DV/Atmos. PQ wise I find the TV apps are the same as a box/stick. Functionally wise the TV apps can be better, e.g. the subtitles and Interactive functions on Netflix, and apps are much easier to switch among under WebOS. I also discontinued using the supplied remote straight away. You can pair a logitech BT keyboard to the ATV 4K though.

Its the ongoing support (no ATV+ app) that is the TV OS/app greatest weakness against an external box

The ATV 4K is a great supplement to the apps on your TV if you want iTunes movies and ATV+ service (and possibly Disney+) in DV/Atmos.

My LG apps for Youtube and Iplayer support 4K HLG and Netlfix/Prime in DV/Atmos. PQ wise I find the TV apps are the same as a box/stick. Functionally wise the TV apps can be better, e.g. the subtitles and Interactive functions on Netflix, and apps are much easier to switch among under WebOS. I also discontinued using the supplied remote straight away. You can pair a logitech BT keyboard to the ATV 4K though.

Its the ongoing support (no ATV+ app) that is the TV OS/app greatest weakness against an external box

Yes, particularly the search in AppleTV apps is appalling compared to implementations on other devices.

I was under the impression that things were not all rosy on the ATV. Has the issue whereby not all Amazon content plays in 5.1, when on other devices it does? It's not clear to me whether the Amazon app on the ATV will also offer 4K UHD with either Dolby Vision or HDR10/10+. Same deal for the Netflix app. What about Dolby Atmos from the Amazon and Netflix apps.? Is the NowTV app. is still poor compared to that found on NowTV boxes and LG TVs, or has it finally been updated? What about iPlayer with HLG?

I've been tracking the ATV for some time, but I don't believe that it's the streaming panacea that it seems to be. I'm happy to be proved wrong though and flex the plastic.

Clem

On ATV 4K the Prime app is currently good on functionality, supports Atmos on Jack Ryan and Carnival Row. but not DV but thats only on one show. It doesn't do HDR10+ used by Prime but neither do LG and Sony TVs - you need a different combo for that
Youtube isnt 4K and I dont think iplayer is 4K HLG like TV apps are
NowTV app on ATV 4K is also functionality weak against other apps - but the service is poor on PQ everywhere
Netflix is DV/Atmos but the app on your TV is possibly too

Its not a case of things being not all rosy its just that you must judge the overly +ve comments above against your own use case e.g. what TV you have - i.e. does it support DV and what apps you already have on it - and whether you want iTunes movies and would use the free year's ATV+ on an Apple purchase.

Well my now tv entertainment pass finishes in a few days, will not be getting another one, happy to have HBO now for all my US shows like watchmen. I get to watch in 1080p including 5.1 sound.

I was under the impression that things were not all rosy on the ATV. Has the issue whereby not all Amazon content plays in 5.1, when on other devices it does? It's not clear to me whether the Amazon app on the ATV will also offer 4K UHD with either Dolby Vision or HDR10/10+. Same deal for the Netflix app. What about Dolby Atmos from the Amazon and Netflix apps.? Is the NowTV app. is still poor compared to that found on NowTV boxes and LG TVs, or has it finally been updated? What about iPlayer with HLG?

I've been tracking the ATV for some time, but I don't believe that it's the streaming panacea that it seems to be. I'm happy to be proved wrong though and flex the plastic.

Clem
Not sure where you get that impression from; I've been using the AppleTV 4K since it was launched. There was one hickup in the early days but once the framerate matching and auto HDR was updated within a month it is by far the best box you can get.

Yes Amazon does 4K UHD and 5.1, same for Netflix. I'm not sure why that isn't clear as it has been doing that for as long as I can remember. Dolby Atmos is in DD+ so those programmes that have it play just fine through my Denon amp.

I can't talk about NowTV as I have no interested in that, and iPlayer HLG is as far as I am aware not supported. It has a very limited supported list; LG OLED does that.

Don't overthink it and don't look for problems, it just works...And there is no other box around that does more. It just doesn't exist.

I can't talk about NowTV as I have no interested in that, and iPlayer HLG is as far as I am aware not supported. It has a very limited supported list; LG OLED does that.

Is it very limited? My Panasonic gz950, Roku 4K and firestick support it.

Seven Worlds is the only reason I use anything but the ATV for content

Is it very limited? My Panasonic gz950, Roku 4K and firestick support it.

Seven Worlds is the only reason I use anything but the ATV for content
You are lucky then. I have the same with DV all of my equipment been supporting that for over two years. It is still limited though, although a heck of a lot more content than HLG...

I'll get the UHD Bluray for seven worlds, we have all the other HLG trials on Bluray :)

You are lucky then. I have the same with DV all of my equipment been supporting that for over two years. It is still limited though, although a heck of a lot more content than HLG...

I'll get the UHD Bluray for seven worlds, we have all the other HLG trials on Bluray :)

Ah yes, content wise it seems very limited.

Would be nice to see the ATV support hlg/hdr10+, one box that does everything streaming wise is the dream.

The ATV has the best interface of any box imo, The shield does run it close though and is actually better in some areas (24hz Netflix, lossless atmos passthrough). In fact the only thing the shield lacks is access to apple movies

The ATV has the best interface of any box imo, The shield does run it close though and is actually better in some areas (24hz Netflix, lossless atmos passthrough). In fact the only thing the shield lacks is access to apple movies

Browsing is fine but during playback I find it confusing, which is odd as the remote only has a few buttons :D it seems inconsistent as to how you dismiss dialog boxes and seek isn't great. Perhaps it's how I've mapped my harmony remote.

I’m a bit amazed that the Firestick that costs far, far less than my ATV 4K can do HDR10+ and HLG whereas the Apple box can’t. So you can only see The Man in the High Castle in basic HDR10. Why on Earth not? I’m obviously in the wrong Multiverse!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom