Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Hoping they fix this 24 fps issue. It's spinning my head around. :)
I found it a massive issue watching Enola Holmes on Netflix and really distracting.

I found it a massive issue watching Enola Holmes on Netflix and really distracting.
Can’t say I found anything even slightly an issue let alone anything really distracting while watching Enola Holmes via my ATV4K 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Yeah I’m really confused why people aren’t seeing it. It is a known issue. The Apple TV cannot display 24.000hz material resulting in a frame skip every 41 seconds. Some people notice the skipped frame. Others don’t seem to notice it. It is absolutely there though for everyone.
I find it incredibly distracting. I don’t notice every skipped frame as it depends on how much movement there is on screen but i notice it enough to find affected material completely unwatchable. As a result I never use my Apple TV for Netflix and I use the Apple TV app for affected iTunes material. It forces 60hz but my tv does reverse pulldown so it seems to work round it.

Yeah I’m really confused why people aren’t seeing it. It is a known issue. The Apple TV cannot display 24.000hz material resulting in a frame skip every 41 seconds. Some people notice the skipped frame. Others don’t seem to notice it. It is absolutely there though for everyone.
I find it incredibly distracting. I don’t notice every skipped frame as it depends on how much movement there is on screen but i notice it enough to find affected material completely unwatchable. As a result I never use my Apple TV for Netflix and I use the Apple TV app for affected iTunes material. It forces 60hz but my tv does reverse pulldown so it seems to work round it.

I get micro stutter mainly around actors' heads on my Panasonic GZ OLED. I see it quite often on iTunes and MA. Are you saying forcing to 60Hz mitigates the issue?

I get micro stutter mainly around actors' heads on my Panasonic GZ OLED. I see it quite often on iTunes and MA. Are you saying forcing to 60Hz mitigates the issue?
I’m saying that using the TVs in built Apple TV app forces everything to 60hz and from that I can pull out the correct cadence. The problem isn’t fixable on the Apple TV hardware.

Going back to my apple 4k tv box with a years free apple tv+ if I connect/register the box for the free 12 months can I deregister the box, continue watching via the LG tv app and sell the box without losing the 12 month trial

I’m saying that using the TVs in built Apple TV app forces everything to 60hz and from that I can pull out the correct cadence. The problem isn’t fixable on the Apple TV hardware.

I see.

You do realise that the iTunes bit rates on non-ATV devices is half of the bit rate you get via ATV box.

Yeah I do. I’m not sure how much that affects my affected titles as they tend to be HD European films like sone curzon stuff. I simply can’t watch the frame skips though so a lower bitrate is the lesser of two evils for me. It’s a workaround rather than a solution.

Hoping they fix this 24 fps issue. It's spinning my head around. :)
Does the 'match frame rate' in settings not sort this out ?

It doesn’t. For film material it changes the framerate to 23.976hz which is by far the most common framerate. There are a few titles which are shot at 24.000hz though and the Apple TV forces them to 23.976hz resulting in frame skips every 41 seconds. It simply can’t output at 24.000hz. Not sure if it’s a software issue or a hardware limitation, but I’t can’t do it.

Can anybody clarify for me

New Apple 4k tv box connected and signed up for 12 month apple tv+ trial.........if I now reset the box will the 12 month free trial still work on apple tv app LG tv. I'm 99% certain it will be ok but would hate the trial to end when i reset box

Can anybody clarify for me

New Apple 4k tv box connected and signed up for 12 month apple tv+ trial.........if I now reset the box will the 12 month free trial still work on apple tv app LG tv. I'm 99% certain it will be ok but would hate the trial to end when i reset box
Once activated, the 12 months is linked to your iTunes account, not the device.

It doesn’t. For film material it changes the framerate to 23.976hz which is by far the most common framerate. There are a few titles which are shot at 24.000hz though and the Apple TV forces them to 23.976hz resulting in frame skips every 41 seconds. It simply can’t output at 24.000hz. Not sure if it’s a software issue or a hardware limitation, but I’t can’t do it.
Didn't someone post a list a while back of all the movies shot at 24fps, and it was incredibly small?

I'm very sensitive to frame pacing, and I've never noticed any skipping on the Apple TV in apps which support match frame rate.

Didn't someone post a list a while back of all the movies shot at 24fps, and it was incredibly small?

I'm very sensitive to frame pacing, and I've never noticed any skipping on the Apple TV in apps which support match frame rate.

Maybe its your TV which is doing some miracle. On mine, I see the stutter effect very frequently on iTunes and D+.

Apple One is available
477E6008-E70F-468C-813F-414670B43D01.jpeg

C5EFE44D-E51F-4A1F-AF74-314A13C231AA.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom