Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Did a restart all good Atmos and picture quality excellent

what was that on mate. I restarted before and still no atmos (working via other services though so not a settings thing) I have just restarted again and still no dice.

cheers

what was that on mate. I restarted before and still no atmos (working via other services though so not a settings thing) I have just restarted again and still no dice.

cheers
That was my ATV few of the marvel movies updated now

What with a UK Blu-ray? If it’s an iTunes redeemable code then yes but I’m more inclined to say No chance, pretty much all UK digital codes are Google Play now.
Yes, sorry I don’t know much about these things, if I set the res on the ATV to 1080p SDR could I still playback midway in hd but without hdr ?.

Yes, sorry I don’t know much about these things, if I set the res on the ATV to 1080p SDR could I still playback midway in hd but without hdr ?.
Of course you can, you can play it back in 4K without HDR if you wish.
If you don’t mind me asking what is the reason for this?

Now nothing is Atmos on Disney+
Edit: now all the Star Wars section seems to be Atmos. I logged out of the app and restarted the ATV

Last edited:
Of course you can, you can play it back in 4K without HDR if you wish.
If you don’t mind me asking what is the reason for this?
Sorry mate, my mind's not on what I'm talking about to be honest, I lost my dad on father's Day.
My reason is projectors don't do HDR that well and my player has settings to brighten the image.
Thanks for the replys.

Sorry mate, my mind's not on what I'm talking about to be honest, I lost my dad on father's Day.
So sorry, best wishes to you and your family.

My reason is projectors don't do HDR that well and my player has settings to brighten the image.
Thanks for the replys.
Sorry to hear that fella 😔

Just set the ATV to a 1080p SDR or 4K SDR setting your projector accepts and disable Match Dynamic Range.

Sorry to hear that fella 😔

Just set the ATV to a 1080p SDR or 4K SDR setting your projector accepts and disable Match Dynamic Range.
Thank you, I’m going to just hit the buy now on ATV then. Normally I buy discs as mum and dad watch them to, ive lent them my entire 350 plus 3D Blu rays more than once !, dads favourite was despicable me 😀.

Anyone else getting flashing dark areas recently? Season 3 of the Sinner on Netflix is bad, I’ve switched to my TVs app and it’s perfect (exact same picture settings) it’s also running at full HD bitrate so I know it’s not that.

Does Netflix still show a Dolby vision logo even if connected to a hdr10 only set? If so I guess that could give an indication but even then it may just be lazy labelling

Yes it does. I have a HDR10 TV and Netflix displays Dolby Vision logo and so does Apple TV+. Disney+ displays HDR10

Was that the remake? If so I did not realise they were still ‘giving’ them out til then!!!!

I managed to redeem Ghost in the Shell as well. The irony was the code came with the 4K disc so I didn't really benefit. I did get an upgrade from one of the Jack Reacher HD blurays to 4K on i-tunes.

Just had another look and it seems I do have newer films.... Star Trek into Darkness, Ninja Turtles (2 I think) probably being the newest! I was happy when I realised a few had been upgraded to 4k DV!!! I actually had a 💩 load of UV codes but I can’t watch them anymore.... wish they would have been Apple!!!!

I’ve noticed something strange whilst investigating the flashing effect that’s happening in dark areas of certain programmes like the sinner season 3. Even though I’ve set the chroma to 2:2:0 it’s outputting a 4:4:4 signal. I think this is causing the issue. It makes no sense!

I’ve noticed something strange whilst investigating the flashing effect that’s happening in dark areas of certain programmes like the sinner season 3. Even though I’ve set the chroma to 2:2:0 it’s outputting a 4:4:4 signal. I think this is causing the issue. It makes no sense!
I think you mean 4:2:0. But, what happens if you set the ATV to output YCbCr 4:4:4?

There has to be a conversion from YCbCr 4:2:0 at some point in the video chain and the ATV should be perfectly capable of doing such a thing and outputting it within the bandwidth requirements of the HDMI ports and cables. At 24fps at least.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom