Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

When the service first launched there was a big banner at the top for the channel which made it a bit easier.

Now i think the easiest way to find just ATV+ stuff is to scroll right down to the bottom and find the channels section and select atv+ from there. Apple are not the only ones though, I find the prime app is just as crap

Would I assume correctly in thinking that ‘Midway’ 2019 film will look better as 4k DV DA than the 1080p Blu ray ?. Just asking as I was going to buy the 4k Blu ray but it’s £20 and the Apple 4k version and Blu ray are £10.

The confusion lies in the misunderstanding of ATV+, I’ve seen it mentioned in this tread this evening.
For some they think ATV+ is the app and assuming everything within it is included.
The reality is it’s the ATV app which has the ATV+ channel within it.
For the most part the ATV has been designed to drum up sales based on your watch history.
I don’t particularly like to be prompted myself but I must admit on the odd occasion I’ve had a recommendation based on something I’ve watched before which has just happened to be something I’ve forgotten about which brought back fond memories and ended up buying it.

Would I assume correctly in thinking that ‘Midway’ 2019 film will look better as 4k DV DA than the 1080p Blu ray ?. Just asking as I was going to buy the 4k Blu ray but it’s £20 and the Apple 4k version and Blu ray are £10.
I watched this when it was £7.99 Looked and sounded fantastic Really pleased with how it looked.

Watched it last night, it’s a proper CGI-fest, did look and sound great though. Also paid £7.99 for it a couple of weeks ago.

For an extra fiver you can get it bundled with Hacksaw Ridge, which is also 4K DV/Atmos and is a better film, not sure how it looks on ATV though, haven’t watched it yet.

Watched it last night, it’s a proper CGI-fest, did look and sound great though. Also paid £7.99 for it a couple of weeks ago.

For an extra fiver you can get it bundled with Hacksaw Ridge, which is also 4K DV/Atmos and is a better film, not sure how it looks on ATV though, haven’t watched it yet.
I did see that combo, I already have hacksaw on 4k Blu though. I will pick it up from Apple for £9.99 I think. Ahh just remembered I use my 4k players hdr adjustments to help with hdr projector brightness..

Last edited:
I do agree the quality of the content on ATV+ is really good - most (if not all!) is DV & DA as well... I think I was just surprised it was ONLY Apple exclusive stuff and thought there may be a deal with 1 or 2 of the studios (although I know they never advertised as such!) and how it is implemented is VERY messy.... almost as bad as finding UHD content on prime LoL!!!

Sorry for the dumb questions,
if I purchased the Blu ray and digital code of the film Midway can I use the code on iTunes and expect a 4k DV DA upgrade ?.
i would just buy the apple version but it would be handy to have a disc as well if I watch it on the projector.

Sorry for the dumb questions,
if I purchased the Blu ray and digital code of the film Midway can I use the code on iTunes and expect a 4k DV DA upgrade ?.
i would just buy the apple version but it would be handy to have a disc as well if I watch it on the projector.
What with a UK Blu-ray? If it’s an iTunes redeemable code then yes but I’m more inclined to say No chance, pretty much all UK digital codes are Google Play now.

I agree that ATV+ is more quality over quantity. I’ll probably carry on when my free sub runs out in September as they have Isaac Asimov’s Foundation coming and I am a bit of sucker for good sci-fi - george

What with a UK Blu-ray? If it’s an iTunes redeemable code then yes but I’m more inclined to say No chance, pretty much all UK digital codes are Google Play now.
Yep, Midway is a Lionsgate release in the UK and all their digital codes redeem via Google Play.

There were never that many at the best of times. Most of them seemed to be Ultraviolet.

The guy who flicks the switch obviously hasn’t read the memo no Atmos here yet
The Star Wars films are back in Atmos. Not checked the bitrate yet.

I've just checked my Apple tv4k and it seems to be ser at 1080p 60hz, I know I did set it to 4k sdr, but there seems to be no settings for 4k, did Apple slowed the system down??

No Atmos on Mandalorian for me. The only one I can find with Atmos is The Lion King.

EDIT Sorry, I'm referring to the LG TV App.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom