Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Has anyone checked the bitrate of paid for iTunes movies since the throttling? Had it also been reduced in quality?

Is anyone else not getting Atmos with Disney+?
Netflix works ok but no Atmos track on Disney +

There's posts about that here
even if the thread title is unclear

It’s ok. It’s because of Corona virus. (Limiting bandwidth)

No Atmos for me on ATV and C8 so its load management - even if a streaming Atmos track is really only a couple of hundred Kb/s more

You youngsters. All we had when i was a child was Bill and Ben and Andy Pandy :rotfl:
And Hector’s House and Pogle’s Wood. We had it pretty good if you liked puppets!

Has anyone checked the bitrate of paid for iTunes movies since the throttling? Had it also been reduced in quality?
The couple of things I've watched have looked fine, but then so has the stuff I've watched on Netflix so far.

Is anyone with a DNS getting Atmos from the American feed on D+

Is anyone else not getting Atmos with Disney+?
Netflix works ok but no Atmos track on Disney +
From Disney + website -
Why am I getting low-quality audio or stereo instead of surround sound or Dolby Atmos?

NOTE:
In light of the concerns expressed by government officials regarding the use of broadband services in this challenging time, we have instituted measures to lower bandwidth utilization, and in some circumstances streaming content in HD and UHD formats, including Dolby Atmos audio, will be limited or unavailable. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Once we resume normal operations, this article will be updated with additional trouble shooting tips can also help you navigate your UHD 4K and Dolby Atmos experience on Disney+

From Disney + website -
Why am I getting low-quality audio or stereo instead of surround sound or Dolby Atmos?

NOTE:
In light of the concerns expressed by government officials regarding the use of broadband services in this challenging time, we have instituted measures to lower bandwidth utilization, and in some circumstances streaming content in HD and UHD formats, including Dolby Atmos audio, will be limited or unavailable. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Once we resume normal operations, this article will be updated with additional trouble shooting tips can also help you navigate your UHD 4K and Dolby Atmos experience on Disney+
I thought that might be a link to the Uk website but as they spelt utilisation with a Z I guess that must be the Disney US website.

still frustrating considering...

Thanks. I’ve deliberately not bought any 4K Marvel or Disney titles in the last year thinking I’ll save money and watch on Disney+ (apart from Infinity Ear and Endgame which I picked up second hand for £10 each).

First my holiday (this week) gets cancelled, then I’m told to self isolate for 12 weeks (high risk group), the Mandalorian dropping 1 episode weekly,: now no 4K. How will I find the strength to carry on! 😪😷

The addition of the X-Men animated series will ease some of the pain, I can relive my thirties all over again!

I'm getting Atmos with Netflix and Apple+, however only multi pcm with Disney+

Am I doing something wrong ?

5 posts above yours 😉

Thanks, some people are still getting it though so wondered if it was a setting or something ? sounds like what i'm getting is normal though

Thanks, some people are still getting it though so wondered if it was a setting or something ? sounds like what i'm getting is normal though

It's normal for the UK content, getting Atmos with US content though 👍

If you only see 5.1 listed for films on the app, then toggling Atmos Off and On in settings and then killing the app (double TV and swipe up) can bring it back, but there's still a good chance it will actually still then play in 5.1 (multi-chan PCM from the ATV)

Can't leave out The Woodentops, Tales of the Riverbank, and Muffin the Mule;)

Woodentops and Muffin the Mule are even before my time, used to love Tales From The Riverbank though:)

Just done a quick check of the bit rates the streamers are using (as I'm meant to be working from home). They all appear pretty similar now - Apple has definitely up'd its bit rates.

What I'm getting now (and this does seem to be variable) is:
  • Netflix 4k DV video 10Mbs Audio 770Kbs
  • ATV+ 4k DV 11Mbs Audio 770Kbs
  • Prime 4k HDR 15Mbs Audio 192Kbs
  • Disney+ 4K DV (not Atmos as I tried the Mandalorian) - Video 8Mbs Audio 256kbs

So for Audio looks like ATV+, Netflix, Disney then Prime
For Video Prime, ATV/Netflix pretty much the same then Disney+.

So from what I measured previously somebody at Apple seems to be reading the boards as they've increased the rates in the last few days. I think it would be tricky to see anything different from the big 4 in Video whereas in Audio I would expect Apple and Netflix to sound best.

I'm hoping somebody could fire up a HUD and verify my numbers as it does seem content dependent - George

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom