Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well that’s a non-starter, it would mean getting up, walking to the other side of the room and putting it on top of the box. May as well go back to putting discs in a machine :rotfl:
Yeah and you’d probably have to walk all that way at least twice a year!

No sure why you think it even needs one, it’s a streaming device just pause what’s playing and you have silence.

Well Google’s moving away from VP9 and adopting AV1 along with other streaming services.
So as long as the new iteration of ATV supports AV1 then 4K YouTube may very well a thing.
Other than the BBC is anyone else using HLG for content?
Apple is One of the founding organisations for AV1 so imagine they’ll introduce support soon.

So Firecore emailed yesterday with news that 6.3 of infuse on ATV 4K should now output Dolby Atmos but I haven’t figured out how to switch it on in a way that my receiver recognises it as Atmos. Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• 4CD8396B-46F7-4034-BB1E-4E9CF8ED4A7D.jpeg
    4CD8396B-46F7-4034-BB1E-4E9CF8ED4A7D.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 29
So Firecore emailed yesterday with news that 6.3 of infuse on ATV 4K should now output Dolby Atmos but I haven’t figured out how to switch it on in a way that my receiver recognises it as Atmos. Anyone any ideas?
Can you configure it to "Bitstream" the audio.

it only works with the lossy version of atmos. Do you have any source material with E-AC3 atmos? It’s usually only used for streaming services like Netflix and iTunes.

it only works with the lossy version of atmos. Do you have any source material with E-AC3 atmos? It’s usually only used for streaming services like Netflix and iTunes.
I have tried the new version of Infuse with a video that has E-AC3 Dolby Atmos and can confirm it works just fine.

I have a white silicon case on my remote which is non symmetrical so I can see at a glance which way round it is. Also stops it being so slippy.

It's this one:

elago R2 Slim Case Compatible with Apple TV Siri Remote 4K / 4th Generation - Anti-Slip, Slim Fit, Durable Material, Scratch-Free Silicone, Shock Absorption (Nightglow Blue) elago R2 Slim Case Compatible with Apple TV Siri Remote: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

i went and got a Fintie brand silicone case in purple for my remote. It has grip and allows you to easily feel the remote orientation it’s great and protects your remote.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
iOS 13.4 just updated on my box, not sure what extra if anything has been added

No most of mine are lossless so I guess I’ll just continue watching them on the Shield Tv

No most of mine are lossless so I guess I’ll just continue watching them on the Shield Tv
We can hope it can be delivered by an update. It’s only software. Even so I’ll be buying a new one it comes out this year

Will that require new hardware I wonder. Knowing Apple, I'm thinking yes.

Most boxes will require new hardware, apple has naff all to do with it mate, pretty hard to put in a hardware decoder for a codec which has not been finalised

We can hope it can be delivered by an update. It’s only software. Even so I’ll be buying a new one it comes out this year

It's an odd one this I think mate, apple allows third party API access to handle the form of Atmos which can ONLY be used for movies being ripped off from streaming services yet they won't let us do the same thing with our own media, I cannot imagine the process being that different between DD+ and TRUE HD, surely it's just a case of extracting the PCM streams and atmos metadata, then sending via MAT 2.0?

Just got the 64GB Apple 4k TV, heard some mention of a 1 year free trial for TV+, has that finished for the UK? Still showing as 1 year free in the US, just updated to latest software. Thanks.

Sorted, just showed up, 1 year free, cheers.

Is it me or after the last update the sound on the Apple TV app seems a lot quieter? I’ve watched a few lately as had some time off. I know some are different but consistently it feels quieter. And ones I’ve watched before at a normal volume I’m having to crank up.

Is it me or after the last update the sound on the Apple TV app seems a lot quieter? I’ve watched a few lately as had some time off. I know some are different but consistently it feels quieter. And ones I’ve watched before at a normal volume I’m having to crank up.

I've now got this issue with Netflix on ATV, other apps are fine.

I have a theory it is to do with the audio codecs, however I can't prove it yet

Looks like I've fixed the lip sync issues I was experiencing.
It was only occurring in Dolby Vision and this was the only picture mode that couldn't be calibrated at the time on my E6 as we had nothing to test it with.
Anyway.... after going through some of the DV settings I discovered Trumotion was on :facepalm:
Set to off not only does the picture look better but the lip sync now appears to be spot on.

That's quite possible. I notice lipsync on the TV apps through ARC with video leading as the C8 seems to delay the audio too much. The only work-around is to switch on TruMotion (user with sliders left) to delay the video a little.

My ATV 4K is connected to the receiver and I dont notice lipsync for that even with no audio delay added - this can only be OK if the video latency in the TV is also small.

It's easy to forget that the LG keeps picture settings for each of SDR, HDR10/HLG, and DV, then separate sets for each picture mode, and all this repeated for each HDMI and the TV apps - so even if you think youve changed a setting it might need changing again when you watch something else, esp TruMotion which defaults to on.

My lip sync issues seem to be sorted now for everything with delay set to 122ms, I'll try turning TruMotion off it rears it's head again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom