Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Lofthouse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Lots of stuff to talk about with the ATV getting 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and the 4K iTunes store content.

I thought it was out on the 22nd of Sept, I'm getting early October on my order, 2- 3 weeks.
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.24.11.png

I think the 64gb is back ordered, I managed to order the 32gb earlier and it was still showing delivery 22nd.

I ordered the 64GB and it says delivers the 22nd.

cancelled the 64gb and ordered the 32gb - now says the 25th of Sept

I'd have waited the extra if wanting the greater capacity option. You'd not lose anything by waiting a bit longer ;)

If that desperate, buy a tent and go camp outside your local Apple store :)

Only coming from the ATV 3, what is the storage actually for?

Just want it for streaming, so can't see 32 over 64 being an issue for me then.

I'd have waited the extra if wanting the greater capacity option. You'd not lose anything by waiting a bit longer ;)

too excited too wait :)

Calm yourself down man.

You're acting like a giggly schoolgirl,

WAit until you see what santa is bringing this year. You'll pee yourself :lesson:

oops, :blush:

did I say Santa? Sorry, I meant Satan :devil:

Last edited:
Just want it for streaming, so can't see 32 over 64 being an issue for me then.

Me too but Apple’s pricing is just too tempting. £20 extra for double the storage. You never know if you’ll one day need it.

True.

Don't really see me using apps on it at all to be honest though, got an iPad and iPhone for those.

I had the Apple TV 32gb and it is very easy to fill up and the new apps have had there size limit lifted so definitely go for the 64gb [emoji1303]

doesnt the apple tv use it's internal storage to buffer/cache the movies in order to watch at high quality?

On the apple tv 4 (the model before this new 4k one), there is a setting to make the apple tv wait for "best quality" before it plays a movie. That allows people with less than superfast connections to enjoy proper quality visuals. i have a feast fiber connection but still use it.

I think I'll get the 64GB version, but will wait until I am able to get it in store. It'll be my movie rental machine ;)

How future owners of ATV 4K will deal with the fact that it might not support 23,976 ?
3:2 pulldown to 60hz..

Sep 15, 2017 12:20 PM
Someone posted the following response from Apple support:

Just received a reply from Craig Michaels from Apple (I sent an email to Eddy Cue) regarding 24p output on the new Apple TV 4K:

Stijn,
Thank you taking the time to reach out about Apple TV. At this time, Apple TV 4K doesn’t support this output mode.
We appreciate your interest in Apple TV 4K and will take your feedback into consideration as we plan for future enhancements.
Best,
Craig

AppleTV 4K no 24p output? | Apple Developer Forums

aren't most TVs able to do a 3:2 pulldown when fed 24p content in 60hz?

certainly all 4k tv should be able to do so...

my understanding is that apple tv doesnt output 24p, but it certainly can give your tv 24p in 60hz and your tv can do the 3:2 pulldown to get to 24p "equivalent"... it's not as "pure" as the 24p signal you get from your bluray player, but the tv knows which of the extra frames to discard...

i could be mistaken. this is what i understood from reading about and using the apple tv4 (non 4k) model. My TV shows that it is receiving a 60hz 1080p signal, but doesnt look video, so the tv is doing the pulldown correctly.

i dont know if a projector handles it the same way.

Last edited:
Some TVs can do 24p via 60p, but it is rarer than you think.

More important (to me) is 25p and 50p support - any word on that? I'm not even dreaming of the cheap Android TV-like automatic frame rate detection and output adaption... the current Apple has given up on the "just works" ethos and gone for "you will do things our US-centric way and like it"

Sorry, rant over. Flashback to trying to download security updates from the App Store without giving my credit card info...

Have done !!! you can see me waiting in line outside Liverpool one for the Ipad Air

I am ordering one now. I bet Dante is not getting one. He is still in the wrong group. !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom