Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Delore

I too find the volume lower than other sources, however, if you change the auido format to stereo, the volume increases quite a lot, that was just to test. I just add 10db to the source input on my AVR for my ATV then it's about the same level as watching a blu-ray
Shame we can't do that on a per app basis instead of input as that would help a lot.

On the plus side its made me pay attention more. I used to just leave the AVR on straight for everything and change the volume accordingly while accepting how things sounded, now with some tweaking depending what I'm listening to im enjoying things more. Its just a bit of a faff :)

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Just watching On the rocks on ATV+ right now. Sparkle grain fest.
Hmmm.
There is a bug with Dolby Vision on the CX that causes raised and flashing blacks. The workaround until it’s fixed is to knock brightness down one click to 49.
I don’t think that’s your problem tbh, but I guess it’s worth trying just in case.

Geoggy

4K SDR

Match content.

Interestingly I have just watched the same scenes on the internal app and the grain is there but not as pronounced- so must be in the source.

Are my settings correct?

What settings are you using ?

panman40

Distinguished Member
Anyone have issues with match frame rate keep turning off ?, just turned both options back on and watching Shrek from prime yet I have stutter on panning ?, is Shrek one of those straight 24fps movies rather than 24.976 ?.

edit, just reset and turned frame rate and dynamic range on again and now it’s smooth, is this a bug ?

Last edited:

massimo

Anyone have issues with match frame rate keep turning off ?, just turned both options back on and watching Shrek from prime yet I have stutter on panning ?, is Shrek one of those straight 24fps movies rather than 24.976 ?.

edit, just reset and turned frame rate and dynamic range on again and now it’s smooth, is this a bug ?
I’ve probably had it one or two times in the few years of having this feature.

massimo

Anyone have an Apple TV connected to an LG GX model? Just updated from my previous LG OLED and the new TV never turns on using the Apple TV remote. Can’t quite work out why.

me_here

I have no idea what Mr “WOW STAR WARS ATMOS HOMEPODS!!!!!!” is smoking as Disney+ does not output Atmos with this setup, as confirmed by me and everyone else on the internet. It only does 5.1 (Netflix and AppleTV+ do give Atmos).

Smurf100

I have no idea what Mr “WOW STAR WARS ATMOS HOMEPODS!!!!!!” is smoking as Disney+ does not output Atmos with this setup, as confirmed by me and everyone else on the internet. It only does 5.1 (Netflix and AppleTV+ do give Atmos).
At least some people on here seem to have recently got the Mandalorian outputting Atmos (I'm not a Disney subscriber myself). The chap in the video seemed to be playing a trailer rather than an actual epside from what I could see, not sure if that would affect things.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Probably no chance of this being available for the UK audience.
0ACD3218-86CB-4C6C-9C7D-1C1F24076D80.jpeg

panman40

Distinguished Member
The match frame rate setting is likely to reset if you're experimenting with the settings and switching HDMIs etc
Thanks, possibly because I have a projector and tv then ?, I know I need to set both inputs individually but I thought they would stick once set.

me_here

At least some people on here seem to have recently got the Mandalorian outputting Atmos (I'm not a Disney subscriber myself). The chap in the video seemed to be playing a trailer rather than an actual epside from what I could see, not sure if that would affect things.

That thread is talking about Atmos with AppleTV/Disney+ in general - which does work. It just does not work with the AppleTV + Homepod combo for some reason.

Last edited:

Pollywoggle

Newbie here concerning Apple TV
I’m trying to get my head around it so I can explain to my other half. I have been a humax freesat person until now.
I understand Apple TV iis a streaming’s box but do I have to pay a subscription to use it?
I’m hoping to use one for a Netflix subscription to watch UHD content and Atmos sound etc, do I have to pay another subscription just to use the box?

sirbadger

Newbie here concerning Apple TV
I’m trying to get my head around it so I can explain to my other half. I have been a humax freesat person until now.
I understand Apple TV iis a streaming’s box but do I have to pay a subscription to use it?
I’m hoping to use one for a Netflix subscription to watch UHD content and Atmos sound etc, do I have to pay another subscription just to use the box?
No, you just need a sub for whatever services you want to use.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I have a 200 Mbps Virgin FTTH connection.

As per SpeedTest app on ATV box, it shows a 150+ Mbps but I am seeing the quality dropping about twice or thrice when watching films over the weekend. When the stream recovers, it stutters very badly and then continues fine.

Anyone been through this?

ggwoodland

I have a 200 Mbps Virgin FTTH connection.

As per SpeedTest app on ATV box, it shows a 150+ Mbps but I am seeing the quality dropping about twice or thrice when watching films over the weekend. When the stream recovers, it stutters very badly and then continues fine.

Anyone been through this?
I have the same Virginmedia speed and actually get around 220 Mbps on the ATV connected via Ethernet. Must admit haven’t noticed any quality drops or stutters - George

Marshall Mike

I have two Apple TV 4k’s, one in the living room hard wired and one in the bedroom on Wi-Fi. I have Virgin BB 350 meg and BT whole home Wi-Fi.
The bedroom ATV occasionally buffers and pauses while streaming since the latest update to tvOS 14.
Running the Speedtest in the bedroom and it barely tops 12 meg, 26 meg upload. But running the file transfer speed test in infuse over ftp and I’m getting 60 meg? Before the update the Speedtest was easily over 100 meg.
What causes upload speeds to be faster than download?
Zero issues with the living room ATV, download speed reported at 380 meg.

me_here

Is anyone having issues with iPlayer app? I can't get anything to play when I go to the "Channels" section and try and get something to play that is live (ie play as it is being broadcast). Anything that is catch-up works fine. I recently installed TV OS 14.3 beta to try and fix other issues, so that might be relevant.

As an observation, as I have been playing around to try and get this Apple TV + Homepod thing working I have been using the Apple TV apps for various services that I have very rarely used before (Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, Plex), as I usually use the apps on my TV (LG C7). Without exception it has been a very painful experience with the AppleTV versions of the apps being far worse than the TV apps in many small but irritating ways.

Bobcat2112

Anyone unable to log into vudu? Doesn’t recognise password but vudu works fine on apple phone and iPad
playing fine on my ATV. Also logged in ok on iphone/ipad...that said; Apparently Paypal has been a problem for some users lately. I personally haven't tried it yet but I've read that non US Paypal accounts are being declined.

Distinguished Member
Is anyone having issues with the BT Sport app since the last update? The app shows me logged in OK, but keeps telling my I need to upgrade my subscription to watch. A restart gets it working for a while but I need to restart at least once a day.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett