Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Hi im new to apple tv and think its great so far. Only gripe is Now TV app. Ive got used to the poor interface, but for the last 2 days, when i go to Movies, Live Movies.... instead of the usual list of live movie channels telling me what is on and how long left and whats on next etc, it shows me a list of every channel including cartoons and sports etc and by the movie channels it says N/A. It doesnt tell me what movie is on or how long left so you have to goin tothe channel, put in the 4 digit pin but then there is no wayof finding out what the movie is, as when you swipe down it just says the channel name and not the movie name, its totally useless. Anyone else got this? Ive deleted and reinstalled but no luck. Searched to see if anyone else has the issue but cant find anything. Its a shame as i thought id found the perfect device to have all my apps in one place but Now tv is letting the side down!

cheers!

Hi im new to apple tv and think its great so far. Only gripe is Now TV app. Ive got used to the poor interface, but for the last 2 days, when i go to Movies, Live Movies.... instead of the usual list of live movie channels telling me what is on and how long left and whats on next etc, it shows me a list of every channel including cartoons and sports etc and by the movie channels it says N/A. It doesnt tell me what movie is on or how long left so you have to goin tothe channel, put in the 4 digit pin but then there is no wayof finding out what the movie is, as when you swipe down it just says the channel name and not the movie name, its totally useless. Anyone else got this? Ive deleted and reinstalled but no luck. Searched to see if anyone else has the issue but cant find anything. Its a shame as i thought id found the perfect device to have all my apps in one place but Now tv is letting the side down!

cheers!

Hi mate

If you check out the nowtv forums you may be able to sign up to the test flight version which is in beta, this functions and looks like the updated smart TV version

I like that the screensaver seems to kick in when i pause videos no matter which app i'm using. With the Shield it's screensaver only kicked in for certain apps and I have a habit of getting up for something like a cuppa then wandering off for half an hour, kept getting annoyed at myself for leaving the OLED on with a paused screen.

Hi mate

If you check out the nowtv forums you may be able to sign up to the test flight version which is in beta, this functions and looks like the updated smart TV version
Thanks mate I will check it out! Now TV have got back to me and I have sent them a vid of whats happening, who knows they may fix it. But thanks again for the heads up of the beta version.

I like that the screensaver seems to kick in when i pause videos no matter which app i'm using. With the Shield it's screensaver only kicked in for certain apps and I have a habit of getting up for something like a cuppa then wandering off for half an hour, kept getting annoyed at myself for leaving the OLED on with a paused screen.
True - so I bought the Photo Galley Screensaver for my Shield for a couple of quid. Set it up to use my google photos for the the screensaver. Also an option to set the Aerial Apple TV videos as part of the screensaver choices!

Can I ask
Over the past couple of days I’ve been losing my films on Plex With my Apple gear (phones ipad) tonight the Apple TV.

ive managed to find my films via different menus on Plex on the Apple TV

am I missing something ?

I used to love it, watched it recently and hate it ? 🤔😂
I used to love it, watched it recently and hate it ? 🤔😂
For christ sakes 2 meters apart you two please, can’t be having a new virus spreading about any further 😷
I can only apologise @panman40 for catching what @Goooner’s got, be careful you’ll be buying movies you’ve already got next.

Hello all. Hope you're well.

Please forgive what may be a stupid question, but this is a long thread and I want to make sure I've got this all correct in my head.

So, I have a 2015 Nvidia Shield and I was thinking of getting the new Shield so I could finally get Atmos mainly on Netflix etc.

Thinking now of keeping my old Shield, and getting an ATV 4k as well.

Would I be right please thinking that the ATV 4k will do 4k HDR/DV and Atmos for Netflix, Amazon and Disney?

Thanks very much.

Hello all. Hope you're well.

Please forgive what may be a stupid question, but this is a long thread and I want to make sure I've got this all correct in my head.

So, I have a 2015 Nvidia Shield and I was thinking of getting the new Shield so I could finally get Atmos mainly on Netflix etc.

Thinking now of keeping my old Shield, and getting an ATV 4k as well.

Would I be right please thinking that the ATV 4k will do 4k HDR/DV and Atmos for Netflix, Amazon and Disney?

Thanks very much.

Yes that's right mate this is the exact setup I have. Just be warned though until restrictions are lifted by service providers some features are missing such as Atmos from Disney plus. But this applies to all smart platforms, not just the ATV.

You can get Atmos now on your 2015 shield though by using Kodi and the Netflix for Kodi add-on, Atmos is also working via Amazon and Disney plus on the older shield boxes, it's the lack of DV across anything which is the older shield's Achilles heel

I defo find Dv and hdr dark on my XF9005 . I would defo get XG as it has light below is standard do setting and SDR in light room .

I have changed setting etc and even contacted Sony as I feel DV unwatchable in anything but dark room .

Attachments

• 3E4459F5-9A33-4BC9-BBDA-B82DA3956C3D.jpeg
    3E4459F5-9A33-4BC9-BBDA-B82DA3956C3D.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 56
  • ED6DB08D-4ED5-46FB-B203-033413F58B07.jpeg
    ED6DB08D-4ED5-46FB-B203-033413F58B07.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 56
On Apple 4k box vs the internal app on my LG oled I notice a difference in the brightness of the subtitles, on the TV app the subtitles are a lot brighter compared to apple box.

Picture settings are identical, anyone know why this is?

I have found DV to be really good via the atv. It is certainly a step up from my previous qled (hdr10). One thing it is most definitely worse though is the handling of reflections which. This requires me to close blinds etc... If watching something during the day

Edit.. forgot to say I am also using a hue lightstrip which I find helps a fair bit in improving the perception of greater contrast

Anyone know if there's a way to assign a button to skip to the next episode on a Harmony remote? Finding it a bit annoying when bingeing series having to fast forward through the end credits to near the end before the play next episode thing pops up on the screen. This is the only device i've ever used that doesn't seem to let you skip to next episode.

Not seeing anything on the Harmony app (have it added via bluetooth) and if i use the next track buttons from the AVR via CEC it just skips 10s instead.

I have found DV to be really good via the atv. It is certainly a step up from my previous qled (hdr10). One thing it is most definitely worse though is the handling of reflections which. This requires me to close blinds etc... If watching something during the day

Edit.. forgot to say I am also using a hue lightstrip which I find helps a fair bit in improving the perception of greater contrast
I had a cheep q60 qled before but found hdr 10 brighter but reflection worse . Dv is good at night blinds shut and correct lighting etc . But just would like it to work better in darker scenes during day . It could just be my tv and I have asked sony . The worrying thing is there idea of 2 days is defo not mine . It's been a week !

I had a cheep q60 qled before but found hdr 10 brighter but reflection worse . Dv is good at night blinds shut and correct lighting etc . But just would like it to work better in darker scenes during day . It could just be my tv and I have asked sony . The worrying thing is there idea of 2 days is defo not mine . It's been a week !

Mine was a q7f mate, it was probably brighter in a 10% window than the xf but had a tendancy to crush blacks, also with bright full field scenes it would dim quite aggressively.

As the windows are south facing I do need to close the blinds tbh with the xf for any critical viewing but that applies to all content not just DV

Mine was a q7f mate, it was probably brighter in a 10% window than the xf but had a tendancy to crush blacks, also with bright full field scenes it would dim quite aggressively.

As the windows are south facing I do need to close the blinds tbh with the xf for any critical viewing but that applies to all content not just DV
Yes same here closing blinds help as large south facing window at 90 deg to tv . But still find I need the gamma up . Or I watch in SDR

Honestly, I couldn't use my LGC8 in a lit family room type setting. Unless you can primarily use it in optimum conditions I would never recommend an OLED for most people

Honestly, I couldn't use my LGC8 in a lit family room type setting. Unless you can primarily use it in optimum conditions I would never recommend an OLED for most people
Cheers Chris, I was thinking about a b9 when I got this but as it was higher budget I got scared by screen burn, but it doesn't sound like I missed out to much. Wish I had got a xg9505 but that life as it had DV light but again not seen that in the real world . The tv handles bright conditions really well in SDR and it's easy to switch with the apple TV so that's a plus .

I'd posted on this thread about a month ago about often finding the NETFLIX menu really slow and laggy and frustrating to use.

I've since found the 'auto play' that starts a clip from each show as you scroll through the menu can be turned off.

You have to log into your account on a computer to do it but it effects all Netflix devices, and helpfully seems to have dramatically improved the reliable smoothness of the Netflix menu on Apple TV.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom