Quantcast

Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

chopples

I'm trying to get my head round this picking the remote up the wrong way round, do you guys not have a spot where you place your remote when you’ve put it down?
If you’ve put the remote down in one direction then surely the next time you pick it up it’s going to be facing the same direction?
Mines usually placed on the little table next to my side of the sofa, and sometimes when I’m using it while YouTube browsing I’ll place it on the arm of the sofa.
I’ve just mentioned this to my missus who has terrible vision in daylight let alone in the dark and she said “eh? but one end clicks and the other doesn’t, what’s more simpler than that” 🤣
Ha ha, tbf this happens when we are watching something in bed, remote is often not at a user friendly angle, yep only one half clicks but my first instinct is not to press the trackpad but to to press menu to wake the thing, when that doesn't work I then attempt to click the trackpad at which point I realise it's the wrong way. The thing is it feels no different what ever way it's held so sometimes I lose my rag banging the play button instead of menu, thinking it's broke, eventually though my brain catches up...

Darren Raw

Bought a remote loop for each of mine. Always know which way round they are now. Also not so easily lost down the side of a sofa cushion... 😄

chopples

Bought a remote loop for each of mine. Always know which way round they are now. Also not so easily lost down the side of a sofa cushion... 😄
Yeah I always lose the living room one, luckily I use a harmony. every so often the screen says "remote connected" still no idea where the thing is.

astirling

I use a harmony in the living room but use the Apple remote in the bedroom. Sometimes I pick it up and it’s the wrong way round but I can consistently fix this by rotating the remote 180 degrees. It’s a bit of a workaround I know but I thought it might be helpful to those who are struggling with this.

chopples

I use a harmony in the living room but use the Apple remote in the bedroom. Sometimes I pick it up and it’s the wrong way round but I can consistently fix this by rotating the remote 180 degrees. It’s a bit of a workaround I know but I thought it might be helpful to those who are struggling with this.
Genius idea thanks, will try this later, hopefully it fixes my issue

Edit.. just tried, works fine, turns out I was rotating 360 degrees, my bad

Blenky

Really? It’s a genuine question, I’m always surprised to hear people say the difference is so huge as I just can’t hear it. Maybe it’s my age! I watched Joker on ATV in Atmos and the sound was superb, really rich with great bass extension. I don’t ever feel like I’m being short changed really with sound quality as the prices are so good, and just as importantly when I’m watching a film I have never, ever thought that the sound was thin or muffled or anything other than enjoyable. The gulf in pricing between ATV and disc isn’t worth the price gap for me in a lot of cases, only for some discs.
TBH I have not watched any iTunes movies in Atmos. My experience of streaming Atmos is from Netflix and Amazon Prime. Nothing on there has ever been anywhere near as impressive as what pumps out from a disk.

I'm not saying streaming Atmos is thin or muffled just that disc is much better IMHO.

Blenky

Don't worry it's not only you. I think the same, Dolby atmos from apple tv is really good, but I have to admit that I've never compared it "side by side" as I don't have any movie on both 4k disc and Itunes.
Funnily enough I can't compare iTunes movies as I don't have any. Could someone suggest a really cheap one with a good Atmos track?

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the only issue I’ve ever had with the remote is about 6-9 months ago, for the 1st time since owning the 4K, I got the low battery warning on screen.

I then spent a good 30 minutes trying to work out how to open it up to see what sort of battery it took, only to give up and resort to googling it and finding out the little slot in the end wasn’t for opening the battery compartment, but to insert the lightning cable to recharge it:blush::rotfl:

Blenky

Does the new Netflix option to turn off autoplay previews work 100% on your ATV? It works properly on my Shield but on the ATV is sort of works! When browsing some don't autoplay and then some will. A bit frustrating as you never know which do and don't autoplay

senrab

Standard Member
Does the new Netflix option to turn off autoplay previews work 100% on your ATV? It works properly on my Shield but on the ATV is sort of works! When browsing some don't autoplay and then some will. A bit frustrating as you never know which do and don't autoplay
I turned this off yesterday, logged out, logged back in and we've not had a single auto play stupid trailer ever since.

From what I read, logging out / in is the key

senrab

Standard Member
- No HDR/4K on YouTube or iPlayer due to Apple refusing to support the necessary codecs.
You could also argue that Google have refused to support the same codecs as what every other streaming service uses.
As a customer, we shouldn't have to care. It would be nice if Apple & Google would talk to each other and play nice so we can have 4k/HD on the ATV. We can dream!

We were very disappointed after upgrading to ATV4k to find out YouTube didn't support 4k.

On another note, I seem to have a new issue on ATV where Netflix on ATV is super quiet -we have turn the amp up super-high to even hear it. Forgetting to turn it back down for iPlayer/YouTube/anything else certainly wakes up the local area!

Hoping the new box or new OS that might come out at the same time solves this

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I think I’ve mentioned this before, but the only issue I’ve ever had with the remote is about 6-9 months ago, for the 1st time since owning the 4K, I got the low battery warning on screen.

I then spent a good 30 minutes trying to work out how to open it up to see what sort of battery it took, only to give up and resort to googling it and finding out the little slot in the end wasn’t for opening the battery compartment, but to insert the lightning cable to recharge it:blush::rotfl:
Mate this will Blow Your Mind 🤯
1047220E-F408-4067-9445-9219390CD958.jpeg

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Like anyone actually reads the manual! :rotfl:

Even if they knew where it was after about a year of owning it :D

senrab

Standard Member
There was a rumour that the next gen box would come with wireless charging for the remote - just put it down on top of the box to charge.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Well that’s a non-starter, it would mean getting up, walking to the other side of the room and putting it on top of the box. May as well go back to putting discs in a machine :rotfl:

senrab

Standard Member
Well that’s a non-starter, it would mean getting up, walking to the other side of the room and putting it on top of the box. May as well go back to putting discs in a machine :rotfl:
Same! Mine ATV is in the loft! Not getting the ladder down to charge it!

Kotatsu Neko

The remote is marmite, some Kind of backlight would be most welcome, or at least a physical form so you can easily identify which way you hold it, god knows how many times I have tried to use it upside down when it is dark, other than that I don’t have any major Problem with it

with regard to codecs, I think it’s unfair to suggest Apple refused support, iirc the first iplayer 4K show was after the launch of the atv 4K, many devices where caught out by the DRM the BBC decided to use, just ask Samsung KS owners. For YouTube HDR specific hardware is required to decode vp9.2 even the shield 2019 does not have the capability
I haven't seen much positive stuff about the remote, even on Apple fan sites. Very thin things don't fit the hand well, hence why game controllers and remotes are generally pretty chunky. The lack of a backlight is unforgivable too for something aimed at the home cinema crowd. It doesn't even have a mute button

Apple don't support VP9 or HLG even on the very latest iPhones or iPads, so I doubt they'll add them to the next Apple TV either. That would mean no 4K on iPlayer or YouTube, which given the popularity of those services is another downright bizarre and pig headed decision. It's very much the usual Apple attitude of our way or nothing.

It's remarkable to how poor Siri is on the Apple TV. Asking it movie related searches usually returns nothing outside of incredibly simplistic things.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
It doesn't even have a mute button
No sure why you think it even needs one, it’s a streaming device just pause what’s playing and you have silence.

Apple don't support VP9 or HLG even on the very latest iPhones or iPads, so I doubt they'll add them to the next Apple TV either. That would mean no 4K on iPlayer or YouTube, which given the popularity of those services is another downright bizarre and pig headed decision. It's very much the usual Apple attitude of our way or nothing.
Well Google’s moving away from VP9 and adopting AV1 along with other streaming services.
So as long as the new iteration of ATV supports AV1 then 4K YouTube may very well a thing.
Other than the BBC is anyone else using HLG for content?

Last edited:

Kotatsu Neko

Not in the UK, but it's the standard for NHK in Japan. (they co-developed it). I believe sale US broadcasters are planning to use it too.

Blenky

I turned this off yesterday, logged out, logged back in and we've not had a single auto play stupid trailer ever since.

From what I read, logging out / in is the key
That did it! Thanks

Trending threads

Latest News

Disney+ announces discount for European launch
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney developing AI based video compression
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vizio announces Disney+ available on SmartCast TVs
  • By Andy Bassett