Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Ditto - haven’t checked yet but the e mail makes them look like a massive intercontinental operation rather than a couple of kids working out their bedroom :D
Fixed quickly though so give them their dues

-Spike-

Hi all,
Just got Apple TV 4K and having an issue with lip sync. it’s only happening when viewing Dolby Vision content, everything else is ok.
Setup is an LG E6 and a Denon AVR 2500 with the Apple TV connected through the amp.
I have disabled video conversion on the amp.
If I disable frame rate and dynamic range on the Apple TV I just get HDR with no lip sync issues at all but obviously lose Dolby Vision.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas please.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
If you set video output in the menu to DV, you should still get DV with match frame rate off and no sync issues. That’s what works for me.

google

Distinguished Member
Hi all,
Just got Apple TV 4K and having an issue with lip sync. it’s only happening when viewing Dolby Vision content, everything else is ok.
Setup is an LG E6 and a Denon AVR 2500 with the Apple TV connected through the amp.
I have disabled video conversion on the amp.
If I disable frame rate and dynamic range on the Apple TV I just get HDR with no lip sync issues at all but obviously lose Dolby Vision.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas please.
I have an LG C8 and a Denon AVR 4400. When using the Apple TV4K I have set lip sync adjust to 140ms in the Denon to get perfect lip sync across all types of content.

astirling

I had an E6 and a Yamaha amp. I needed around 140ms delay for 23.976hz content. 60hz content required a 0ms delay...which is why I guess that some people find a fix in turning off match framerate.

-Spike-

Thanks for the replies.
I did think of setting audio delay in the amp but wouldn’t that affect content that had no lip sync issue?
Will try your suggestion as well Gooner, thank you.

google

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies.
I did think of setting audio delay in the amp but wouldn’t that affect content that had no lip sync issue?
I thought the same but for some reason content that I thought was in sync is not affected by the adjustment. I had the same issue with the Oppo 203 when connected to my E6 and that was sorted by setting 140ms in the Denon.

astirling

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it did for me. Fortunately the Yamaha allows you to set scenes you can switch between by pressing a button. Switching to 60hz with match framerate off should fix it to but at the expense of introducing pulldown judder to the video signal. The ‘6’ generation can’t do reverse pulldown

-Spike-

Thanks guys. I’ll give the audio delay a go:thumbsup:

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys. I’ll give the audio delay a go:thumbsup:

I had similar issues when using my previous AVR. I had to set a delay of around 180 with Apple TV box, although there were no problems with 4K HDR via my UHD player. I ended up connecting it direct to my TV and it was fine. When I upgraded my AVR (to get Atmos) I tried connecting Apple TV via new AVR and, hey presto, no lip sync!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies.

That’s what I would assume, which is why I’ve not tried it myself. If it works, that would seem like the easiest solution.

Is the lip sync on the Denon global or for specific inputs? I run everything through mine (X3500) and don’t want to change to delay for ATV and have to keep changing it when I use any other source.

astirling

That’s what I would assume, which is why I’ve not tried it myself. If it works, that would seem like the easiest solution.

Is the lip sync on the Denon global or for specific inputs? I run everything through mine (X3500) and don’t want to change to delay for ATV and have to keep changing it when I use any other source.

surely it’s per input?! It might not work for you though because it seems similar to my issue where 50hz and 60hz stuff had no sync issues whereas 23.976hz stuff did.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I’ll have to give it a try and see what happens. I’m intrigued by the 140ms fixes everything, even stuff that wasn’t out of sync in the first place.

Would like to be able to keep match frame rate on permanently, rathe than have to switch it off to fix lip sync, but the odd judder on panning shots is less distracting than lip sync, so I’ll live with it.

astirling

140ms didnt fix everything for me. I got lip sync issues when watching stuff on iPlayer for example.
As an aside, it’s hard to know where the blame lies. I initially had an E6 and Yamaha 3050 and had zero issue. I upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha 3070 as I wanted Dolby Vision passthrough and suddenly I had lip sync issues. In January I upgraded my e6 to a c9 and now I have no lip sync issues whatsoever.

-Spike-

So far so good but will give it a better test tonight.
Set audio delay on the Denon to 180ms and no issues with DV.
Other content looks ok from the brief tests I’ve done.
Thanks very much to everyone :)

iNspectorgadJet

I had a C6 and had the lip sync issues. The sweet spot was 126-129ms for me. Upgraded to the C9 and no more lip sync issues....so it's time for an upgrade! 😝

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Obviously the answer is upgrading my C8 to a C9 then. Not sure I’d get that past the wife though, having owned the C8 for less than 9 months :rotfl:

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Obviously the answer is upgrading my C8 to a C9 then. Not sure I’d get that past the wife though, having owned the C8 for less than 9 months :rotfl:
I’ve heard that the dulcet tones of Kevin in Home Alone can also fix these issues if the Movie is played from start to finish which prevents the need for getting a new TV.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I’ve heard that too. A brick through the screen definitely stops any lip sync problems. May cause one or too different problems though to be fair :rotfl:

Paul Shields

The brain accepts delayed audio easier than when it's ahead - as in real life often sounds are behind picture due to distance. So if your picture is behind sound intermittently you'll see it but if you adjust it so audio is sometimes behind it'll be less noticeable. #science

panman40

Distinguished Member
What’s the latest gen of Apple TV ?, what are the latest issues other than lip sync ?.

i thought I might pick one up just to try.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
What’s the latest gen of Apple TV ?, what are the latest issues other than lip sync ?.

i thought I might pick one up just to try.
ATV4K.
The only couple of issues I can think of is there’s no longer a library count in the TV App and there’s no 4K via YouTube.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
You end up with no money because you keep buying films/tv series on iTunes because they’re stupidly cheap, even though you’ll never watch them :D

astirling

Ah you have a c8? Turning off match framerate will not be such a big issue for you as I believe the c8 can do reverse pulldown of 60p film content.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR