Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

RobTi

Possibly but not sure what the ramifications would be when you remove it from your account to be honest, you could always setup family sharing then you’d get it anyway if she enables the free year.
Hi I got an answer from FB and just what I though as long as its new, set it up and register in my name and join apple tv + and then wipe phone for her to set up, and if this fails in the future she can take it
Thanks

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Hi I got an answer from FB and just what I though as long as its new, set it up and register in my name and join apple tv + and then wipe phone for her to set up, and if this fails in the future she can take it
Thanks
That’s what I would have done.
Once you subscribe to the free year, it’ll show in your own Apple account that you’ve signed up to a new subscription.

Erasing the new iPhone & setting up as a new user (like if you were giving the phone away) shouldn’t affect the subscription. The restriction would prob be that your daughter wouldn’t be able to claim another free year on her own account as that particular new phone has already been ‘registered’ & claimed (but doesn’t sound like she wanted to anyway) :)

RobTi

That’s what I would have done.
Once you subscribe to the free year, it’ll show in your own Apple account that you’ve signed up to a new subscription.

Erasing the new iPhone & setting up as a new user (like if you were giving the phone away) shouldn’t affect the subscription. The restriction would prob be that your daughter wouldn’t be able to claim another free year on her own account as that particular new phone has already been ‘registered’ & claimed (but doesn’t sound like she wanted to anyway) :)
Thanks I will talk her through it just in case she wants it before I do anything

aandpwoodley

Quick question, just setup my Apple TV 4K, I can’t seem to get Dolby Vision though, only HDR on my E6.

I’m guessing it’s a setting, can anyone help ?

sirbadger

I've got mine set to 4k SDR though and enabled Match Content Range and Frame Rate. This way I don't get Dolby Vision on the Apple TV screens. Stops my eyes being frazzled!

aandpwoodley

Thanks, I’m in settings, video & audio but can’t find enable DV ?

Edit, found it, what’s the correct setting 24hz ?

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Quite enjoying The Morning Show. Although I'm still not sure if I'm enjoying the programme or the amazing picture quality. Mind you, I started watching See, and that looks great but I only got 10 minutes in and gave up. It was irredeemably stupid.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member

4K SDR 50Hz and match dynamic range and frame rate both on works for me.

Turning Dolby Vision on isn’t great. It converts everything to DV, menus included.
Match dynamic range displays everything in the correct format.

sirbadger

4K SDR 50Hz and match dynamic range and frame rate both on works for me.

Turning Dolby Vision on isn’t great. It converts everything to DV, menus included.
Match dynamic range displays everything in the correct format.
It's a shame theres no match resolution as well, would like to use the TV upscaling.

astirling

It's a shame theres no match resolution as well, would like to use the TV upscaling.
the Apple TV’s upscaling is actually really good. I think its easily a match for my E6. Id go even further and say that the upscaling used is infuse is better than my e6.

astirling

The E6 doesn’t support Dolby Vision at 60hz so I’d avoid setting the menus to Dolby vision. I have mine set at 60hz hdr although others often prefer use SDR. Just make sure match dynamic range and framerate is on and Dolby vision will be enabled when appropriate.

astirling

In most cases the tv would do a better job than a streaming device. The upscaling on the old shield tv for example is horrendous. I was initially upset at the lack of resolution switching in the Apple TV but it’s genuinely not an issue

Distinguished Member
I'm with @sirbadger here, the lack of resolution matching is an annoyance. My projector upscales poor quality content considerably better than the ATV does.

aandpwoodley

Would you mind telling me how to set the menus to 4k and content to DV please

bgalakazam

Standard Member
Really want to get one right now, but with next ATV around the corner I can't justify. I want to watch that juicy content on my C8 OLED though... Worth waiting? Will mostly(only) be used for ATV+.

maverick177uk

I was watching iplayer today but couldn’t exit the program back to iplayer menu, I was using my harmony elite control but nothing would do it, in the end tried the Apple remote same thing, had to do the swipe up to close the page.

Blenky

Really want to get one right now, but with next ATV around the corner I can't justify. I want to watch that juicy content on my C8 OLED though... Worth waiting? Will mostly(only) be used for ATV+.
Where did you hear that a new one is 'around the corner'? There seemed to be a consensus that if Apple didn't announce one in October we wouldn't be seeing a new version for awhile if at all.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I see tvOS 13.3 is going to bring back ‘up next’ in the ATV app top shelf display.

About time.

neildradford

Standard Member
I see tvOS 13.3 is going to bring back ‘up next’ in the ATV app top shelf display.

About time.

I'm on the beta and its such a relief to have this back. If only netflix would follow suit and turn off the annoying autoplay on the main page, atleast make it a setting!

neildradford

Standard Member
Yeah, I didn't have any problems with Ghostbusters (1984) when I watched it without doing the input switch thing but that might just be because none of the scenes trigger it. However, watching The Morning Show immediately displayed the issue in the opening scenes of the first episode, and the workaround got it to display properly. This makes me believe this issue rests with ATV app itself as there is no such issue with DV content via the ATV Netflix app.
Exactly the same issue here. I cant play anything on ATV+ without it looking like a negative type image. I found fast forwading a little 'sometimes' fixes it.
In my opinion its either a problem with Apple TV or my HDMI cables arent up to it. I havent bought any for quite a long while.
Any other DV content is fine i.e Netflix. Seeing as the Apple content is much higher quality with ATV+, leads me to blame my cables.
Beta 13.3 didnt fix anything for me btw.

Last edited:

aoaaron

jwsg

Its not beta mode - perhaps youre thinking about the UHD demo thats in the same menu?
UHD is a normal feature of iPlayer on supported platforms - lots of TVs. That platform also has to support HLG - which Ive never seen on ATV 4K.

Until recently the main streaming apps Netlfix, Prime, iPlayer, Youtube, NowTV have had better functionality on my TV than ATV 4K - e.g. Youtube 4K and iplayer 4K HLG support. The new ATV+ app has the advantage of DV and Atmos and is ahead of other platforms.

sirbadger

Its not beta mode - perhaps youre thinking about the UHD demo thats in the same menu?
UHD is a normal feature of iPlayer on supported platforms - lots of TVs. That platform also has to support HLG - which Ive never seen on ATV 4K.

Until recently the main streaming apps Netlfix, Prime, iPlayer, Youtube, NowTV have had better functionality on my TV than ATV 4K - e.g. Youtube 4K and iplayer 4K HLG support. The new ATV+ app has the advantage of DV and Atmos and is ahead of other platforms.
I thought you had to be in beta mode to get in HDR, perhaps not. Either way it's a disappointment that it won't play as UHD HLG from my ATV 4K

ETA: Beta mode was in reference to the Roku 4k stick and Panasonic iPlayer apps

jwsg

The combo of TV and box is quite important as it's rare for either to do everything.
My C8 does iplayer & youtube in 4K HLG and Netflix & Prime in DV/Atmos. But although the Disney+ app is coming to LG it's already pretty much the end of the road for TV updates for me - no Airplay / Apple TV and no HDR10+ used by Prime as examples. The ATV 4K does a fantastic job with Itunes movies and ATV+ both in DV/Atmos.

Trending threads

Latest news

Best Hi-Fi Products 2019 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Ed Selley
  • Published
McIntosh releases DA2 Digital Audio Module Upgrade Kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky TV offers cheaper Sky Q box with updated features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio unveils its first home install loudspeaker line up