Question Apple TV 4K, LG EF950V OLED and Denon AVR X2100W

Hitby

Afternoon all, I’m not sure this is in the correct forum? Anyway, does anyone else use the same or similar setup for TV/Movies/Music (Apple Music).

I consume all my media pretty much from the Apple TV and I’m just trying to work out the best way to get the best sound and picture quality from my setup.

Is it ATV>TV>ARC to Amp for sound

Or

ATV>AMP>TV

I’m interested in making sure I get the most out of my kit, particularly HDR 4K video and ideally, auto-switching on the amp to the correct sound format, although if I can’t have that, it’s not a deal breaker, just a chew on.

Appreciate any input, cheers!

Last edited:

gibbsy

ATV uses multi channel PCM called Dolby MAT. If you have a 5.1.2 set up that would also enable Atmos content with a full UHD subscription. As the X2100 is HDCP 2.2 and able to pass 4K signals I would recommend connecting directly the X2100.

Hitby

Thank you Gibbsy, I'm just awaiting some new HDMI cables and I'll reconfigure. It'd be great if the HDMI power on from the ATV could turn on the TV through the amp which I don't believe worked when I had it wired up like that previously. Still, we're getting into the realms of severe laziness now 😴

gibbsy

If you configure both the Denon and TV for CEC then turning either on will work as previously. ARC will give you Dolby Digital Plus from any onboard apps on the TV as well. If your TV is eARC it will revert to standard ARC as both units have to be eARC compliant for it to work, eARC can pass HD audio given both units having it. Something for the future perhaps.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom