Apple TV 4k iTunes Movie Perfomance Reviews

low-def.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have be participating in the Apple TV 4k owners thread along with the US Movie Code thread and thought it might be a good idea to setup a thread to capture what everyone's iTunes 4k movie experience has so far been on the new box.

I think it would be very helpful to others to learn what films people have bought and whether those films have played correctly or if issues are being identified.

If issues are being identified, these can then be flagged to Apple and will hopefully be rectified or refunds issued if needed.

It could also be handy if people are noticing new 4k versions of iTunes movies appearing on the store or a previously purchased version being changed to 4k.

Thanks all - looking forward to everyone's feedback.

Last edited:
Just wondering if this and the movie codes threads should be moved to the streaming services section?

I know they've been made in here as the recent talk has been about the ATV 4K, but the topics are related to the streaming service that Apple provides...

Good idea for a thread :)

I’ve reported the Blade Runner issues, I’m hoping that gets fixed at some point - but more likely a Warner issue.

Have bought Oblivion (currently on offer) and the Apes movies (the 2 pack is a decent price) in the hope they get upgraded soon . I keep looking enviously at the US store which I’ve used to get some movies but easier to keep my main wants on the U.K. store.

Am I need now is some time to watch them.

Excellent idea this thread. I've just got Warcraft which is in 4k and DV, I also have it on disc although it's on HDR but I'm gonna play them both and see if there is any difference. I'll put a screenshot up but it's not gonna give a true picture but might give people some idea of the quality.

Good idea! Posted this in the ‘owners thread’:

Bought a bunch of iTunes Dolby Vision movies, some of them look great but a lot of them are SDR and probably not 4k either. These ones (bad):

Tarzan
Jupiter Ascending
American Sniper
Suicide Squad
War Dogs
In the Heart of the Sea
Run all Night
Live by Night
Annabelle
Collateral Beauty

(Bought in Dutch store)

Have reported this to Apple as well, no reply yet(only autoreply)

The good ones are:

Fantastic Beasts...
Lights Out
Fury
Inferno
Into the Storm
Mad Max

Last edited:
Transformers The Last Knight is absolutely stunning but does suffer from brightness fluctuations eg between 1hr 16mins and 1hr 19mins ish where the whole picture becomes brighter or darker. Apart from that though and overall, jaw dropping pq for a streaming service

Just got through with watching The Last Knight-absolutely stunning.

Not a single drop out in terms of buffering.

I’d be hard pushed to tell any difference between that and the disc!

I know people want to fight it, but 4K streaming is here and here to stay.

Just got through with watching The Last Knight-absolutely stunning.

Not a single drop out in terms of buffering.

I’d be hard pushed to tell any difference between that and the disc!

I know people want to fight it, but 4K streaming is here and here to stay.

I agree, the gap now is minimal for me.

I just finished watching a movie called Better watch out, which was just HD, but it isn't even out at the cinema over here till 8th of December. It's all kinds of effed up too, crazy movie! :D

I watched Split last night on us account. Outside scenes were incredible and only hd. For my other half to actually say, that looks great doesn’t it, is recommendation in itself!

Good idea for a thread :)

I’ve reported the Blade Runner issues, I’m hoping that gets fixed at some point - but more likely a Warner issue.

Been trying to keep up with all the different threads but I'm struggling! Can I ask, what were the issues with Blade Runner? I'm asking because I watched it over the weekend - I thought the picture was stunning..... BUT, there were a few very specific scenes which I can only describe as 'broken'. I have a ks9000 so its HDR. I've actually got the UHD disk too, so was planning to compare it this eve - but any info/reports would be good to hear. Thanks.

I've not watched it all the way through, but I've got the disc version too and the iTunes version definitely looks overly bright in comparison. Other than that the picture looked fine to me, which is why I've not asked for a refund.

If i'd not done a comparison, I would have thought it looked a bit bright, but wouldn't have an issue apart from that.

Thanks! I'll try a compare tonight and if I can I'll screenshot the broken scenes from the ATV (which will no doubt play perfectly tonight & I'll look like muppet).

Here’s a quick comparison I did, only on my phone, so not ideal.

IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG

Top one is the disc, bottom one the ATV. Both on a Samsung KS9000 HDR10, no DV, same picture settings on both.

Easiest comparison is during the opening titles right at the start when the background is supposed to be black, on the atv version it's grey unless you set the box to sdr output then it looks correct

Yep, that as well. It's noticeably grey on the ATV, from the disc you wouldn't even know there were black bars there.

Could you do a comparison when the girl is going through the glass? Or another HDR demo shot? I'm wondering if it's even triggering the hdr metadata correctly.

You got a time code or a scene number? Save me trying to find it :)

I'll see if I can give it a go tonight.

I watched Ghost in the Shell last night and the HDR looks too dark, when I watched the preview on iTunes it looked fine.

I compared the same scenes from the preview and main film. Wondered if anyone else thinks the same?

You got a time code or a scene number? Save me trying to find it :)

I'll see if I can give it a go tonight.

Sure. Try around the 57:50 time as there are plenty of neon lights.

I watched Ghost in the Shell last night and the HDR looks too dark, when I watched the preview on iTunes it looked fine.

I compared the same scenes from the preview and main film. Wondered if anyone else thinks the same?

I would read some reviews of the GitS uhd disc it is a dull looking movie. I also don't think the previews are in HDR/DV.

Here’s a quick comparison I did, only on my phone, so not ideal.

View attachment 921899View attachment 921900

Top one is the disc, bottom one the ATV. Both on a Samsung KS9000 HDR10, no DV, same picture settings on both.

I do get the right blacks from the iTunes version, looks like your top picture. It is in DV though in my case.

It looks likes a mismatch in blacklevel on your tv and the Atv(ie. low on tv and high on Atv), can you switch it to see if it helps?

Switch to SDR on the ATV you mean?

It’s supposed to be DV (so therefore HDR?) on iTunes, so ATV shouldn’t be in 4K HDR, shouldn’t it?

No I meant in the HDR settings of your TV, is there a option to adjust blacklevel? A switch between low and high I mean (or RGB limited vs full)

If not, then indeed 4k SDR mode. Probably HDR10 isn’t converting the DV material properly as you said

Last edited:
I do get the right blacks from the iTunes version, looks like your top picture. It is in DV though in my case.

It looks likes a mismatch in blacklevel on your tv and the Atv(ie. low on tv and high on Atv), can you switch it to see if it helps?

Switching black level to high makes it even brighter.

Ah ok, thx, than that’s not it. Probably the playback of DV content in HDR10 is messing up the colors

The Samsung switches to HDR mode automatically if it’s in standard or movie picture mode when fed an HDR source.

Didn’t change the tv settings, just switches inputs for the BD and ATV. Other iTunes HDR content that I’ve tried looks correct, it’s just Blade Runner (so far) that has issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom