Apple TV 4K forced subtitles on Amazon Prime content

daveb975

I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with displaying subtitles on Amazon Prime content when using Apple TV 4K?

I tried to watch The Marksman last night and that has both Spanish and English dialogue. I'd have expected it to default to displaying subtitles for the Spanish dialogue and none for the English sections.

Instead, it seems to be all or nothing. With the subtitles in the 'in-film' menu set to Off or Auto, there are no subtitles at all, when it is set to English (US), it is subtitles for everything - Spanish, English and description of background sounds.

I've never noticed this problem before, and I suspect it is an Amazon app issue as it appears to work fine on Netflix and Infuse playback.

I've deleted the app and reinstalled it, and changed and reset the Apple TV. Is there anything else I can try?

chenks

Suspended
sounds like when amazon uploaded the content they didn't apply the correct "forced" subtitles for non-english dialogue.

are you able to test it on another device?

daveb975

Thanks @chenks. I've just checked it on my Safari browser and it doesn't work either, so that suggests it's an issue with the content as you suggest.

The options are slightly different on the browser, but still gives the same all or nothing result.

chenks

Suspended
no surprise that content served by amazon is sub-par.

MartinH32

I had the same!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom