Question Apple TV 4K - Dolby Vision - 10-15m HDMI Problems

RushDoo

Novice Member
Hi,

First post so here goes...

I have an Apple TV 4K connected to a Denon AVR-X6400H amplifier using a 1m QED HDMI cable then onto a LG OLED C8 TV using a 10metre Ibra HDMI cable.

I can stream in 4K HDR @ 60Hz, but the Apple TV will not allow a connection for Dolby Vision (50Hz or 60Hz) and resorts back to its previous settings. I can select 4K Dolby Vision @ 30Hz though. I have tried this with and without the amplifier being connected with no avail.

I have connected the Apple TV directly to the TV using the QED HDMI cable to find everything works fine, including Chroma 4:2:2.

It would seem my Ibra HDMI cable is the weak link in my set-up. I just don't understand how I can run 4K HDR @ 60Hz but not Dolby Vision at even 50Hz. Can somebody explain this please?

It is a LOT of work to replace the 10m Ibra cable; is there something else I can do?

Would installing a HDMI booster make a difference?

Is this Apple favouring the likes of Belkin? It reminds me of the old days when third-party cables could not be used with an iPod/iPhone.

Lastly, I am in the early days of using the system so haven't had time to watch a lot of content. Is 50/60Hz actually required these days for playing movies and shows other-than those shot using the latest mobile devices and games consoles?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It is worth trying before you have to contemplate replacing the 10m HDMI cable - note a few folk mention it works well Source > Display but not so well Source > AVR > Display.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Dr HDMI 4K is our favoured solution - which is DV compatible, though a more costly option.

HDFury Dr HDMI 4K – The Media Factory

Ideally any cable you 'install' is easily replaceable as they can and do fail, become damaged or become obsolete.

Joe

RushDoo

Novice Member
Brilliant,
Thanks Joe.

Does my situation sound like simple signal loss? I just don't understand why I can receive 4K HDR @ 60Hz but not DV above 30Hz. I also can't get anything above 4:2:0 regardless.

Thanks,
Ian

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Cable bandwidth can cause all manner of odd problems - sometimes complete signal failure other times the system simply won't handshake properly.

Joe

EddyHorn

Brilliant,
Thanks Joe.

Does my situation sound like simple signal loss? I just don't understand why I can receive 4K HDR @ 60Hz but not DV above 30Hz. I also can't get anything above 4:2:0 regardless.

Thanks,
Ian
Have you seen my reply in the ATV 4k thread? Most DV content is 24hz, if you set your ATV to the recommended settings of 4k SDR 60hz for the user interface and then match framerate and match dynamic to range to on, then you should find pretty much everything will be ok.

RushDoo

Novice Member
Have you seen my reply in the ATV 4k thread? Most DV content is 24hz, if you set your ATV to the recommended settings of 4k SDR 60hz for the user interface and then match framerate and match dynamic to range to on, then you should find pretty much everything will be ok.
Hi Eddy,

I have seen your post, thanks :)

At the moment I have the ATV set to 4K Dolby Vision @ 30Hz, this includes the interface.
The ATV also asked me to confirm the international use of 4K HDR @ 60Hz. It would seem that the ATV now shows everything in DV @ 30Hz and when it can't it resorts to 4K HDR @ 60Hz. I have the match dynamic range & frame-rate to On.

It's just that I have all the equipment to run
4K DV @ 60Hz 4:4:4 and/or 4:2:2 but seem to be held back by a HDMI cable running
4K DV @ 30Hz 4:2:0.

Thanks,
Ian

EddyHorn

Hi Eddy,

At the moment I have the ATV set to 4K Dolby Vision @ 30Hz, this includes the interface.
The ATV also asked me to confirm the international use of 4K HDR @ 60Hz. It would seem that the ATV now shows everything in DV @ 30Hz and when it can't it resorts to 4K HDR @ 60Hz. I have the match dynamic range & frame-rate to On.

4K DV @ 60Hz 4:4:4 and/or 4:2:2 but seem to be held back by a HDMI cable running

Thanks,
Ian
The recommended setting for the ATV is 4k SDR 60hz. Try it, you may find the only thing you can’t watch is 60hz DV and that content is pretty rare. Your cable is holding you back and would be a problem for gaming but if replacing it is difficult getting the ATV setup correctly should allow you to watch the majority content as intended.

ChippyAft

Standard Member
Hi Ian
I have *exactly* this problem. But for an irreplaceable cable, lots of expensive equipment is not running to its full potential...

Were you ever able to resolve your issue using a HDMI repeater?

Chippy

mushii

Hi Eddy,

Thanks,
Ian
Ian You do not have the equipment to run 4K DV @ 60hz 4.4.4 as this requires bandwidth outside of your current equipments capabilities, which is 18 Gbps, as your C8 only has HDMI 2 0.
4k DV @ 60 Hz 4.4.4 requires 24 Gbps bandwidth which is HDMI 2.1.
it is your HDMI ports not your cable that is your rate limiting factor.