Apple TV 4k doesn't passthrough 4k HDR & Dolby Vision Yamaha receiver

rick80

Hi, I have some issues with getting my new Apple TV 4k to show HDR & Dolby Vision content. I have a Sony Android TV which supports HDR & Dolby Vision and a Yamaha htr 4071 receiver. So both tv and receiver support HDR & Dolby Vision. My receiver is connected with the tv through a HDMI Arc cable. Apple TV is plugged into the receiver. When I plug the Apple TV straight into the HMDI ports of the tv Dolby Vision & HDR is supported, but when connected through the receiver not.

What I've tried. Tried different cables. All cables work directly on the tv, so they are fine. I've updated the receiver and tv to the latest firmware. I've made sure that the Yamaha receiver is in mode 1 through advanced settings.

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blofse

Anybody? I'm still stuck trying different sollutions unfortunately
What exactly happens when you try and connect via the receiver, do you get a blank screen with dv content or no ability to show dv via the atv? Looking at your receiver spec, it states:
"Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma will be available via future firmware update."
I wonder if that release which supports dv ever came out? Best to check your device downloads and confirm this feature was actually added.
Your model translates to a RX-V483, which hopefully helps you find some information on it.

chromaticpic

Novice Member
Ya I have the same
Issue. Brand new Yamaha RX-V4A with the latest firmware and a Apple TV 4K with the latest firmware attached to a Sony A90J.
I have tested both HDMI cables into HDMI 3 with the eARC to confirm Dolby Vision HDR 60fps. On the Receiver I have tried different HDMI ports, tried both Mode 1 and 2. Did a Reset of the Amp. Different power cycles. Also tried 24fps Dolby vision from the Apple TV and also HDR 10+ (AKA HDR) and non are passed by the receiver. Only 4K SDR is passible.
I tired to look for an Advanced menu on the receiver with no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks!

rick80

What exactly happens when you try and connect via the receiver, do you get a blank screen with dv content or no ability to show dv via the atv? Looking at your receiver spec, it states:
"Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma will be available via future firmware update."
I wonder if that release which supports dv ever came out? Best to check your device downloads and confirm this feature was actually added.
Your model translates to a RX-V483, which hopefully helps you find some information on it.
I can only set the Apple TV 4k to 4k SDR like mentioned in the quote below. I have exactly the same problem. So 4k SDR works perfect. But when I switch to Dolby Vision or HDR Apple TV gives me a message after trying that it doesn't work and I need to switch back to 4k SDR.

Ya I have the same
Issue. Brand new Yamaha RX-V4A with the latest firmware and a Apple TV 4K with the latest firmware attached to a Sony A90J.
I have tested both HDMI cables into HDMI 3 with the eARC to confirm Dolby Vision HDR 60fps. On the Receiver I have tried different HDMI ports, tried both Mode 1 and 2. Did a Reset of the Amp. Different power cycles. Also tried 24fps Dolby vision from the Apple TV and also HDR 10+ (AKA HDR) and non are passed by the receiver. Only 4K SDR is passible.
I tired to look for an Advanced menu on the receiver with no luck. Any ideas?
Thanks!
I have exactly the same issue. Hope we can get some more tips over here.

Navatar

Standard Member
Strangely enough, I have the same issue with a different receiver, the Denon AVR-X2300. Used to work with the previous Apple TV 4k model. Yesterday I bought the Apple TV 4k 2021 and it gets stuck at 4k SDR, while the HDMI cable, the receiver adm the TV set (Sony 55XE9305) are the same. Tried other high speed HDMI cables but that did not help.

This makes me think, it’s not the receiver, it’s the Apple TV and/or tvOS 15. Any ideas?

donkeyBatman

Novice Member
I was having this issue, but I replaced both HDMI cables (AppleTV to V6A, TV to V6A) and then I was able to basically turn on 4K on the TV input settings. Now I'm able to turn on HDR on the AppleTV. Not sure if this will help anyone else.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom