Tevez77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have AppleTV 4K into Samsung Q930b Soundbar passing picture back to Samsung SU7000 55inch 4K TV.

I’m getting Atmos and UHD via Sky Q via identical set-up but Apple TV will only send Dolby Digital.

Having read Apple’s support pages on this it seems that perhaps even though my TV is not processing the audio (As the ATV is going straight into the receiver) it may need to be Atmos capable because it’s a link in the HDMI chain.

Any advice here as I have quite and extensive iTunes movie catalogue and would love to make the most of Atmos?

Will I need a better TV snd if so why don’t I to get Atmos via SkyQ???

How exactly are you connecting everything up?
If you have the ATV 4K connected directly to the soundbar by HDMI then it should pass Atmos to it and then pass the video through to the TV. Sky Q only uses Dolby Digital+ to pass Atmos, the ATV uses multi-channel PCM.
If your TV has eARC have you tried connecting the ATV directly to the TV and then allowing the TV to pass-through the audio from its eARC port to the soundbar via another HDMI cable connected to the soundbar's eARC port?

TV is 2016 model and has no eARC, only ARC. I have the AT4K direct into Soundbar via HDMI and then Soundbar into TV via ARC output on Soundbar.

I’ve tried it via ARC as you suggest but that also limits sound to Dolby Digital. I thought plugging directly into Soundbar would resolve that but no joy.

Maybe try a different HDMI cable between the ATV & soundbar - if it's Atmos capable then it should receive and decode Atmos from the ATV box.

Try it in a different HDMI port on the TV - if you're not using ARC then it doesn't matter which port you use. It may be that the TV is getting confused and trying to send output back to the soundbar.
Ok, will try that now. Thanks, will let you know if that works.

No good, actually have other issues now. ATV is now saying it’s connected to TV speaker not Reciever and will only play in Stereo PCM….changing back to ARC input now…..

Last edited:
Worth powering everything fully off at the wall for a few minutes, disconnecting cables and then connecting them up again so as to re-do the HDMI handshake when you turn back on. Also try powering the soundbar and TV on first then the ATV once they've warmed up for a few seconds.

Worth powering everything fully off at the wall for a few minutes, disconnecting cables and then connecting them up again so as to re-do the HDMI handshake when you turn back on. Also try powering the soundbar and TV on first then the ATV once they've warmed up for a few seconds.
Thank you, I’ll try this too. I’ll update once it’s done.

By connecting directly to the soundbar it should already detect that it’s Atmos compatible.
This may seem a daft question but are you sure you’ve got an ATV4K and not an ATVHD?
I trust you’re able to set to a 4K resolution?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom