Apple TV 4k 50/60 hz question

mhjo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have my ATV set to 4k SDR 50hz. If I check some videos on Youtube they flicker a bit. I think they are in 60hz.
Here is a test:
If I set my ATV to 4k SDR 60hz the flickering goes away. Why can't the ATV switch this automatically?

My Sony TV handles this well wtout any flickering f I view the same test video from the built-in Android.

Last edited:
I have my ATV set to 4k SDR 50hz. If I check some videos on Youtube they flicker a bit. I think they are in 60hz.
Here is a test:
If I set my ATV to 4k SDR 60hz the flickering goes away. Why can't the ATV switch this automatically?

My Sony TV handles this well wtout any flickering f I view the same test video from the built-in Android.

The ATV YouTube app doesn’t support the Match Framerate function, it used to on the old version of the app a few years back but hasn’t done so since they changed to the current one.
I have my ATV set to 4KSDR @60hz for this same reason, thankfully Match Frame Rate works with the other apps I use that require 25hz & 50hz.

Hi. I am not talking about frame rate, but frequency. Try the test yourself by swapping between 50 and 60 hz on the ATV

Hi. I am not talking about frame rate, but frequency.
Yes but as far as TVs go they’re essentially the same thing, with Framerate matching those YouTube videos would be output at the correct setting which most will be @24hz which is why you see a flicker because those videos are still coming from YouTube @24hz but without the frame rate matching they’re being forced to 50hz thus causing frame skips.
With setting to 60hz the TV uses 3:2 pulldown so those 24hz videos can play smoothly.

Last edited:
ok, but setting the ATV to 60hz, how wil my other TV progams behave (Netflix, HBOMax..)?

ok, but setting the ATV to 60hz, how wil my other TV progams behave (Netflix, HBOMax..)?
Fine, if you were using the ATV in the US it would default to 60Hz anyway.
HBOMax is a US service so doesn’t use 50Hz at all.
As long as you’ve got Match Frame Rate enabled it takes care of everything for you, it’s pretty much only YouTube and possibly a few other obscure apps that don’t support frame rate matching.

Fine, if you were using the ATV in the US it would default to 60Hz anyway.
HBOMax is a US service so doesn’t use 50Hz at all.
As long as you’ve got Match Frame Rate enabled it takes care of everything for you, it’s pretty much only YouTube and possibly a few other obscure apps that don’t support frame rate matching.
Thanks (I live in 50hz-Norway)

Thanks (I live in 50hz-Norway)
Oh I see, when you mentioned HBOMax I just assumed you meant you’d got the app from the US store and were in the UK.
As long as you’ve got Match Frame Rate enabled then if HBO Max does have any content that requires 50Hz it should make that change automatically.

Just so it's clear, 50 Hertz frequency Power & 50 Hertz Frame-Rate are not the same thing.
Set it to 60.

I have seen similar issue with friend’s US peacock for football, the user fixed it by changing from 4K hdr to 60hz 1080p, 4K picture unwatchable, 1080p 60hz looked really sharp.

Kevin

If i put my Apple TV 4k on 1080p dv …. Will it still play movies in 4k dv if the movie has that ? It seems like my cables dont like having the atv set on 4k , it flickers.

If i put my Apple TV 4k on 1080p dv …. Will it still play movies in 4k dv if the movie has that ? It seems like my cables dont like having the atv set on 4k , it flickers.
Nope, you’ll just get 1080p
What happens when you set to 4KSDR?

It flickers a bit. I think maybe the cable. Says 2160p but i dont know. Was quite cheap

It flickers a bit. I think maybe the cable. Says 2160p but i dont know. Was quite cheap
Most definitely seems like you need a better HDMI cable, one that’s at least High Speed but ideally Premium High Speed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom