Apple TV 4

Rookies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of getting a Apple TV 4 as never own a Apple TV. Are they any good the new ones looks good but wonder if I use it since got smart tv

Well got iPhone iPad and iMac. But why would this matter. If not this what else. Fire TV??

I honestly have no idea why people buy apple tv, I honestly dont, I have an ipad etc but would never buy an apple tv, it aint cheap to watch films on it and I dont beleive apple has a sub service.

I honestly have no idea why people buy apple tv, I honestly dont, I have an ipad etc but would never buy an apple tv, it aint cheap to watch films on it and I dont beleive apple has a sub service.
What do u have instead pls

I use various devices, I have a fire stick, ps4, bluray player with in built apps, all of them work pretty much the same. Ive just started a amazon prime vid trial on the fire stick so will see if I enjoy the content but there's a few decent shows so far.

I have the new Apple tv and I think its great. But it does help to have other Apple products as you can do more with it. I had an Apple tv 3 for the last three years and use it mainly for netflix, iTunes movies and streaming across stuff from my iMac. So when the new Apple tv was announced I decided to buy one and its great. it now has games as well. Not for serious gamers but for casual gamers it is ideal. Like the new bluetooth remote too. Pressing the on button not only turns it on but sends signal to switch to the correct input on the tv. Also doubles as a volume control for my samsung tv. Only down side is no optical input. To get 5.1 sound I have had to buy an audio convertor. Apart from that I would recommend it.

One thing I wish it can do. I know it can AirPlay my iMac over but I would need be in the iMac room to do what I want to display on the Apple TV as I believe I can't do it from the Apple TV can I?

I have Apple TV 4 and I love it although I am a fully paid up member of the Apple ecosystem. As for cheap films, you just need to do a bit of digging through iTunes as there are lots of movies at £5.99 and less (I was browsing the £5.99 selection at the weekend and had to give up after over an hour) to buy (in HD) as well as lots of £0.99 rentals. Yes, I love my blurays too but for convenience the ATV is now my turn to device.

One thing I wish it can do. I know it can AirPlay my iMac over but I would need be in the iMac room to do what I want to display on the Apple TV as I believe I can't do it from the Apple TV can I?
Have you tried fullcontrol? It's an app which can remote control your Mac from an iPhone/iPad, there are other similar apps too so I'm sure you can find one to do what you want.

5.99, almost a month sub to Netflix, there's my point

5.99, almost a month sub to Netflix, there's my point
Actually it is completely different, you don't own any of the films on Netflix. I purchased a number of HD films this weekend at £3.99 and they are mine to keep.

Now, the rental option (say the £0.99 films on iTunes) is a direct comparison. So, if you watch six or less movies a month then iTunes can (there are more expensive films to rent) be cheaper but any more than that then Netflix is cheaper. Oh, and Apple TV 4 tells me if a film I am searching iTunes for is available on Netflix for free, that sounds like a win-win to me.

I use both Netflix and iTunes and I'm happy with both of them.

First of all, the films I watch on netflix are certainly not 99p on apple tv, not even close, 2nd unless its changed ,as far as im aware you dont own the film, if the film producers decides to pull the film it goes bye bye from your list.

You've got me beat there, I don't know what films you watch on Netflix, I mainly use it for TV series and buy films on iTunes if I want to keep them.

In respect of owning movies what iTunes sell you is an agreement between you and the publisher to allow you to watch the movie (I'm pretty sure that is similar whatever medium you buy a movie on) and you have the option to download every movie you buy and save it to HD. You may be right about iTunes pulling movies, I can't comment as it's never happened to me in all the years that I've been using it.

I do like the fact that Apple TV will tell me that a film or TV show I am looking to buy or rent is free on Netflix (to save me money) and take me straight to it, that was rather unexpected and a nice surprise.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Apple TV or iTunes is the best thing since sliced bread, although it is improving version on version it's still not the full answer, but I'm giving my opinion and I like both of them but I also don't use them in isolation. I also use Netflix and NOW TV (both via apps on the Apple TV as well as BT Vision (which also has these apps) and Blurays. I like them all for varying reasons and this mix of options works for me.

Im like yourself and use almost all the same devices as you, the part I simply dont get is this, for example I can go and buy southpaw on BR and its cheaper than itunes, i will def own it and is of better quality, so I cant understand why anyone pays more for less quality. Trust me im not trying to have a go, actually trying to find out reasonss why I should buy apple tv and struggling. Ive just watched mr robot on amazon, i beleive the full thing is 16.99 on itunes, just crazy.

Yeah, digital downloads are silly prices, I'd happily buy on iTunes instead of BD for the convenience of not having 100s of discs sat around but don't understand how they justify costing more than an actual disc.

ye totally agree, Im same as you, would much rather have the digital download but there to costly which doesnt make sense. I have a box full of DVDs/Blurays that I need to get rid off, would have been good as you say if they were digital.

Been to apple again came out empty handed. Just can't seem get round it. Is it worth it lol

Same here, I buy whatever is cheapest but sometimes it's Apple TV, sometimes Netflix, sometimes BD, etc. There are also instances where I want to watch something specific there and then, Apple TV generally comes up trumps for that. I grabbed Mission Impossible Rogue Nation on it last night for £13.99 just on impulse, it's not on my other platforms yet as far as I know and I would have had to wait for the BD to arrive if I'd purchased on Amazon yesterday.

If BT Sport, iPlayer, ITV player, etc port their apps to Apple TV then it makes it even more of a winner for me. I think only iPlayer is confirmed as porting to TVOS so far to sit alongside Netflix and NOW TV. Apps are what it's all about, the kids can play games on it and I can wrestle it back occasionally for a movie or TV series.

Been to apple again came out empty handed. Just can't seem get round it. Is it worth it lol
Everyone is different, it's worth it to me but you'll need to decide if it fits with your needs.

What makes it worth it for you pls??

It's all in my posts above plus the ever increasing range of apps, Siri search, etc.

Occasionally there's some decent prices on iTunes, managed to pick up the complete West Wing in HD for about £30 and the complete Friday Night Lights for about £20, probably cheaper or similar to disc prices and both currently free to watch on Netflix, but there's no telling when they're likely to be pulled, stuff like that I like to own.

Just wish there was an easier way to spot these bargains than randomly checking iTunes and getting lucky.

Would happily ditch my Friends box sets, but last I looked iTunes still wanted £15-20 per season or something.

Is anyone using Plex on Apple TV 4? I have it on my Roku 2 and it is great but feels like it's slowing down a lot and wondered if it feels fast and user friends on the ATV4?

I would also be interested in how good streaming of videos in iPhoto folders is on the ATV4 if anyone is doing this?

Occasionally there's some decent prices on iTunes, managed to pick up the complete West Wing in HD for about £30 and the complete Friday Night Lights for about £20, probably cheaper or similar to disc prices and both currently free to watch on Netflix, but there's no telling when they're likely to be pulled, stuff like that I like to own.

Just wish there was an easier way to spot these bargains than randomly checking iTunes and getting lucky.

Would happily ditch my Friends box sets, but last I looked iTunes still wanted £15-20 per season or something.

I tend to use the free app from JustWatch.com mate. Gives daily price updates and new additions to iTunes, Amazon, Now Tv and Netflix UK. The website itself is similar but no price drops.

Mat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom