Apple TV 2 Died - what now?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Iron Man 2, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've been using a jailbroken apple tv 2 to stream movies etc from a NAS and I loved it. Sadly it has given up the ghost due to a blown HDMI port (its not working on any tv in the house). ATV2 can only be got on amazon or ebay and are very expensive due to the lack of a jailbreak for the ATV3. I dont want to pay a high price for this so im forced to look elsewhere e.g.

1. WD TV Live
    2. Roku
    3. Anything else at similar price point?

Anyone got any experience of these devices and how they would compare with the ATV2 (jailbroken). I really just want the ability to stream and to use utube.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    WDTV Live if after something that plays files from a NAS and does Youtube/Netflix too, they go for around £60-70.

Roku isn't really suitable. If you had been using XBMC then the Pivox XIOS DS for £125 is the XBMC replacement, you can use XBMC under Android along with the Youtube app (mouse or sense remote required) or use the XBMC-Linux firmware with XBMC's own Youtube plugin.

3. bluepeter

bluepeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks guys. I never really used XMBC as I never found it that stable on the ATV. I used Firecore ATV Flash media player which is really stable, plays everything and is very user friendly for the kids and missus to use.

I think I will go the WDTV route for now. I do have another ATV2 in my cinema room which I can swap out for the WD if the kids find it too difficult to use.

5. Iron Man 2

Iron Man 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Got the WDTV live and frst impressions are that it is a big improvement from when I had one last about 2 years ago. Will test with some movies tonight.

On the ATV front, I rang apple today and they said they will replace the broken one with a new one as its out of warranty they have to charge me but only €60 which is a real result considering the cost of the ATV2 on the web. I have sort of become dillusioned with Apple this past few years with their closed shop mentality etc. but I have to say the customer service on the phone this evening was superb. The best I have ever seen.

6. tonycooling

tonycooling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Bluepeter, I'm thinking of buying the cyclone nano 1gb, but last time I read about 1month ago, you couldn't install xmbc or use the pivos apps on the 1gb cyclone nano, does this Niw mean yoi can? I'm new to all this streaming thing, so could you expand on your findings of the fuctionality of the xmbc please. The main reason I want a streamer is to stream music from my iPhone to my amp. Can it do this and what else can I expect to get from the nano/xmbc?

7. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Personally speaking I don't think it's worth doing just to save a few bucks but it's your call;
    * Your depending on someone continuing to hack the Pivos XBMC-Linux firmware to work on generic boxes. The linux firmware runs XBMC better than under Android if wondering about the difference.
    * Your not helping XBMC/Pivos as they are the ones developing it not Sumvision, j1nx or anyone else selling an XBMC Android device. If Pivos go out of business then development will grind to at best a slow crawl or worse a halt.
    * Pivos technical support wont help you either.

You can buy the Xios in the UK here. You can still get the cheap generics if you want and run XBMC under Android though again the builds Pivos release are tuned to the Pivos Android firmware.

As to the functionality your asking about yes XBMC will receive music from your iPhone (via Airplay or UPnP) however wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just get an Airport Express and plug that into the amp to make it an Airplay receiver ?

On top of that the XIOS including many of the generics only have a HDMI output, your amp would need to have a spare HDMI input.

As to what else XBMC does well try it out on your PC or Mac, it's a media centre so it plays a lot of media, if you have music on a NAS then XBMC can scan that and give you a nice UI to control via your iPhone with the stock iOS XBMC remote or via third party like XBMC Commander.