Apple Time machine - is there any need for it now?

shahedz

Distinguished Member
I've had a time machine, first the Apple time machine capsule and now an external USB drive. But is there any need for it?

I have all my documents stored on iCloud or Dropbox . Music I use Spotify and outlook 365 for email. I have iPhoto back up. I use minimal applications so just wondering do I need to bother with setting up and apple time machine?

I don't use any apps beyond Spotify and the office suite.
I have just set up a new Mac. and logged into iCloud , drop box and iPhoto all my stuff is there.

Is there any advantage to have time machine which I have missed out?

thanks

rousetafarian

I've had a time machine, first the Apple time machine capsule and now an external USB drive. But is there any need for it?

I have all my documents stored on iCloud or Dropbox . Music I use Spotify and outlook 365 for email. I have iPhoto back up. I use minimal applications so just wondering do I need to bother with setting up and apple time machine?

I don't use any apps beyond Spotify and the office suite.
I have just set up a new Mac. and logged into iCloud , drop box and iPhoto all my stuff is there.

Is there any advantage to have time machine which I have missed out?

thanks
I supposed the 3 copy rule is prevalent here, well guidance not a rule as such,

Local copy
Offline copy
Cloud copy

I keep an external 500Gb SSD as my time machine for important data (my offline copy) , but photos, spreadsheets and other stuff can sit in the cloud.

People’s consumption models of data have changed massively over the years and the days of archiving your music collection just in case is not necessarily as priority today.

NatTheGooner

If you delete something then need to recover it later you can “go back in time” to a folder or email or file and restore it back in place. I did this just last month and it saved a lot of hassle. I had deleted the file about a year before.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
If you delete something then need to recover it later you can “go back in time” to a folder or email or file and restore it back in place. I did this just last month and it saved a lot of hassle. I had deleted the file about a year before.
Ahh yes forgot about this feature . This I’ve used, will set up time machine again

rousetafarian

Ahh yes forgot about this feature . This I’ve used, will set up time machine again
With external Samsung drives of 500Gb SSD available for around £70.00 it’s an absolute no brainer

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom