Apple Repair & Data Advice!

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2009 2.8 17" UMBP which has been in for repair twice already and will now be going in for a third - the same old multiple problems keep happening which are too many to list here! Despite providing Apple with detailed information, it came back worse after the first repair & on the second which took Apple 5 weeks (as they assured me they were conducting exhaustive tests) it was the same as soon as I got it home.

I am going away for a while & thought I would take this opportunity to send the unit off for another repair as recommended by Applecare & hopefully, they might fix the various problems - normally I cannot do without my computer as I work from home so just had to live with the way things are.

The advice I need is:

A) Should I send it back to an Apple store for repair (who apparently did the last two repairs but made things worse) or should I send it to an Apple Authorised Repair Provider in the hope they might actually be better than Apple themselves?

B) Apple have said keep all my data & stuff on the computer & that has me a little worried as all my private & personal stuff will there for anyone to access & copy etc. What would you do - make a back up & delete everything or take the risk & submit it with all data & information still on it?

C) I am on Snow Leopard - should I back up via Time Machine or Super Duper? If I use Time Machine & then wipe the computer completely, will I be able to have everything as it was when I get it back from repairs - will everything be exactly the same? How should I best back up so I do not lose data, settings, passwords etc?

Many Thanks,

Suave!

A) You don't specify what the problems are but you should be chasing AppleCare for a replacement if they cannot fix what is wrong with this MBP.

B) Backup & erase. Who knows what will happen to your private data otherwise.

C) Time Machine & Super Duper - belt & braces. You can just restore from TM but it is quicker from a Super Duper backup.

A) You don't specify what the problems are but you should be chasing AppleCare for a replacement if they cannot fix what is wrong with this MBP.

B) Backup & erase. Who knows what will happen to your private data otherwise.

C) Time Machine & Super Duper - belt & braces. You can just restore from TM but it is quicker from a Super Duper backup.

Hi,

Many Thanks, - I will back up & erase then - at least that way I know my data is safe! There are just so many problems - overheating when watching on line videos, huge heat rises when downloading, near constant spinning wheels, hard drive clicking away most of the time, apps just quitting, cursor freezing, trackpad not responding and acting erratic, wrong selections displayed, printer data gone missing & will not allow new drivers, fonts automatically changing size, data missing etc to name a few!

The only reason I was contemplating keeping my programs & data on the machine was so that Apple could test it as I have it & so the problems are just as likely to occur - I was concerned that with nothing on the laptop, they may not surface or appear as much.

Suave!

All that sounds like a hard drive issue to be honest.

Trackpad not responding can be caused by extensive heat.

Backup all your data and erase it.

I say this because you have stated your HD is clicking, now, mine is completely silent and so have been on all my macs bar 1, where it was a core duo, had similar issues, replaced the HD and it all went away.

Irrespectively, there might be another underling issue, but what you are experiencing is not common and thus, can and will cause frustration.

Their customer services / support are second to none and I know this because I can be a pain in the ass and they have never, ever let me down (yet)

Is the clicking loud ?
Has it always clicked ?
How hot is it going?
Have you previously replaced your HD?

Thanks,

Gabi.

Hi,

Many Thanks, - I will back up & erase then - at least that way I know my data is safe! There are just so many problems - overheating when watching on line videos, huge heat rises when downloading, near constant spinning wheels, hard drive clicking away most of the time, apps just quitting, cursor freezing, trackpad not responding and acting erratic, wrong selections displayed, printer data gone missing & will not allow new drivers, fonts automatically changing size, data missing etc to name a few!

The only reason I was contemplating keeping my programs & data on the machine was so that Apple could test it as I have it & so the problems are just as likely to occur - I was concerned that with nothing on the laptop, they may not surface or appear as much.

Suave!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom