• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Apple planning move to ARM CPUs in laptops?

• Thread starter Deleted member 171211
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 171211

There's a rumour floating around that Apple are considering ditching Intel for their laptop range and replacing them with ARM CPUs. Not sure I'd be happy with this as I don't see Arm having the horsepower that an Intel (or AMD for that matter) has. Didn't Apple learn from Power PC?

Source:Semi Accurate (so maybe take with a pinch of salt)

blue max

Distinguished Member
I'm sure they will have a chat about the future of the chips before they sign on the dotted.

If Apple can actually keep a machine secret until the day of it's release, I don't expect there to be any truth in the rumour.

I do wish they would release a medium spec'd desktop model without monitor for a rather cheaper price than the imacs and more accessibility than the mini.

Graham

D

Deleted member 171211

The Mini was superb when it first came out. A reasonably priced Mac with no keyboard, mouse and monitor to push the price up. Now look at it! It might be a decent enough spec (albeit one that needs updating), but it's way too pricey.

I really hope Apple don't go down the ARM and iOS route on their laptops, that really would put me right off them.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't believe this for a second, Apple switched to Intel due to the better projections in Intel's roadmap.

HD sceptic

Established Member
There's a rumour floating around that Apple are considering ditching Intel for their laptop range and replacing them with ARM CPUs. Not sure I'd be happy with this as I don't see Arm having the horsepower that an Intel (or AMD for that matter) has. Didn't Apple learn from Power PC?

Source:Semi Accurate (so maybe take with a pinch of salt)

ARM could surprise you. Their parent company made one of the most innovative processors of the 90's.

I once saw an Acorn RISC PC at a trade show, running RISC OS with 4 copies of MS Windows 3.11 running on the destop side by side, one running excel, one word, one screensaver, and one media player.

The ability to multitask back then was unparalleled, and in 1996 who would have imagined a home computer capable of using 256Mb of RAM. (certainly not Bill Gates)

Apple were so impressed they bought part of the company,
this article makes interesting reading too

History of ARM: from Acorn to Apple - Telegraph

CamFire

Distinguished Member
It is entirely possible. Already, there are start ups which dabble in ARM-based hardware to be used as servers and one only need a single big success from them to start the Intel decline.

iamsludge

Prominent Member
Yes, the exciting times have started!

The Dev Kit looks really capable with the A12Z, but the first Macs will have a faster desktop focused chip (Craig Federighi has state in an interview the A12Z won’t be used) and the rumour is it the first Mac will have 12 cores - time will tell.

I will be buying that is certain, I’ve bought first generation every time Apple have switched processors and never regretted it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom