Apple Music Dolby Atmos Support With Chromecast

mhmd4k

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Chromecast Ultra and Amazon FireTV 4k hooked up to my Pioneer AV receiver. Dolby Atmos for certain services works on Chromecast and for others on FireTV 4k. For instance, I get no Atmos when I watch Netflix on my FireTV 4K, but Chromecast plays Atmos on Netflix. Amazon prime video supports Dolby Atmos on FireTV. Also, I can play Atmos with Tidal on FireTV 4K, but I cannot do the same with Amazon Music(shame on Amazon).

So I know both Chromecast and FireTV 4K are capable of playing Dolby Atmos.

I have two issues with Tidal. The first one is that it's 2x more expensive than Apple Music. The second one is that it only plays Dolby Atmos on FireTV 4K, which isn't ideal. You cannot control the music from FireTV with your phone. You'd need to look at the screen to operate it.

I wish when I played tidal music from my Android phone on Chromecast I could get Dolby Atmos. But I cannot. Same thing is true with Amazon Music.

I don't have any Apple devices and I am not planning to buy any hardware from their ecosystem, but I wonder if anyone is aware if one can listen to Dolby Atmos on Apple music using Android and Chromecast?

I like my apple tv device, I get buy using the tv and tv remote.

I very much dislike Apple as a company and their products, and consider myself an Android fanboy. However, Apple Music and Apple TV 4K work very well in our Google household

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom