• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Apple Mac Help - Cannot Connect Wirelessly On Airport

stayingsafe

I have an Apple Powerbook G4 12"

Its running Max OS X Version 10.2.3

I am unable to connect to my Wireless Network, which has WPA2 encryption, it does not recognise my password.

Turning off the password on my router, allows me to connect to the router fine, and surf the web.

Googling tells me that WPA2 is a newer technology and is not supported in this early version 10.2.3

Being a MAC virgin, I do not know if I can just 'update' the driver for the Airport Wireless Card, or if the entire operating system needs to be upgraded.

Please advise what needs to be done.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Moved to the Apple Mac board as more people with the approproate knowledge to help you will be here :thumbsup:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
OS X Jaguar (10.2.x) is seriously old now having had it's last update in 2003, for WPA, you need at least 10.3 while support for WPA2 came with the Airport 4.2 update which itself was apart of the OS 10.3.3 update for OS X Panther (10.3.X)

So you will need to update to at least Panther, but what are the specs of the powerbook? as you could try updating to OS Tiger (10.4.x)

Last edited:

stayingsafe

OS X Jaguar (10.2.x) is seriously old now having had it's last update in 2003, for WPA, you need at least 10.3 while support for WPA2 came with the Airport 4.2 update which itself was apart of the OS 10.3.3 update for OS X Panther (10.3.X)

So you will need to update to at least Panther, but what are the specs of the powerbook? as you could try updating to OS Tiger (10.4.x)

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. I will check the specs of the Powerbook in the morning, (laptop is at the office)

Q1. How does one check the specs. I would assume MAC's have something similar to Windows Control Panel?

With regards to OS's for the MAC, do the names have any significance (Jaguar, Panther, Tiger) or are these names just assigned to each version (like Windows have XP, Vista, 7).

I'm ashamed to say I know absolutely nothing about MAC's, but am very competent with Windows.

Q2. When updating the OS, are all current files / programmes and settings kept, or is this like a 'clean install'? I dont want to lose anything on their now, as I dont have any of the software discs to re-install the expensive programmes on there

Q3. Are updates free, or do they cost alot of money?

Q4.Is there any better solution? Can I not just get a USB Mini Wifi dongle that plugs into a USB slot and I can use that to detect wifi networks, and turn off the 'airport card'

dc8900

Distinguished Member
1) Go to the left hand corner and click on the Apple symbol, click on about this mac, it will then show a Window like this:

attachment.php

So that will tell you the CPU and RAM, click on more info, for well more info! like everything else

Mac OS in its current form is OS X, and each version or release could be considered a different OS, like XP, Vista, 7 etc. Each subsequent version is numbered, with 10.0.0 Cheetah being the first. So Jaguar which is 10.2.x is the third release of OS X. (with yours on the third and final update of Jaguar hence the 3 in 10.2.3)

2) Yes, simply do an upgrade

3) as they are more or less seperate OS's they are not free but considering they are 5 years old now, they should be pretty cheap to get hold of

4) You could but I am pretty sure any such dongle would not be compatible with an OS as old as Jaguar

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 11.26.49.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 11.26.49.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom