1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Mac any good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, May 10, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    cant find a suitable forum to put this one but just wondered if anyone has had experience of these. Friend of mine has an Imac G4 which he swears by . He says it is a lot simpler than Microsoft and is not so prey to virus attacks.They are also more compact and look rather tasty.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    In my opinion they are simply different rather than better than PCs or the other way round. Mac certainly do have an almost cult following (but then again so do PCs running Linux) but to me this isnt a sign of them being particularly good or bad.

Having used Macs I just found it difficult to get used to being a long term user of Microsoft but then at the same time I had similiar issues getting used to OS2 when I worked for a company that used it as their operating system for desktops. Once you get used to it then they are fine.

I must say that Macs are very nice looking off the shelf but there are plenty of PCs that can challenge them in the looks field (but often they are not off the shelf options)

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    http://www.mildlyamusing.co.uk/videos/viewvideo.php?image=videos/machaters.wmv

:)

On a slightly more serious note, the best thing you can do is try one out for yourself. Personally speaking, I feel more "at home" doing day to day work on a PC, although I have taken to using a Mac for design work (it was more a case of "having to" at Uni!). As Astaroth says, they're more "different" than better.

What do you use a PC for? Is there a reason for you to consider a Mac?

K.

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    Thanks for you replies guys!
    As I said before my friend reckons that because they are not as popular as PCs thay are not so subject to virus attacks. My Pc has been attacked three times in the space of two years . The first time I had to send the PC back to manufacturer to get it fixed. All this despite having firewalls and spywareblockers and anti virus software.

I intend to do some video and photo editing at some point and reckon a faster puter with more storage space would be better.
    I've also been assured that Macs are simpler to understand than PCs something I dont know as I have never used one

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I don't like them.
    I don't trust that its doing everything correctly under the cutesy wutesy front end.
    Then again I don't like windows for the same reason but at least I can open up a PC when the thing is misbehaving.

I prefer linux but I only ever liked unix to be honest (irix to be specific) . Shame we don't really use it much these days.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i personally dont like them. its not as well supported as a pc and i wasnt at home with Mac OSX even after a few goes at it. as said above the nail has been hit on the the head its not better or worse just plain different like linux (even tho that is better :devil: ) pity as they look very sleek

7. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl: Brilliant!

The ex girlfriend had a Mac, I could never really get used to it but admitedly never used it for prolonged lengths of time. It did used to make me chuckle how it would accompany the occasional action with a very Sci-Fi "swoosh" or "zing" noise.. just like the ones you laugh at in films. :D

I've got very used to a mouse with 4 buttons :smashin: How can people operate a computer with only 1 :eek: :eek: ??

8. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    As you should know there is a "war" between Mac lovers and PC lovers.

After looking around I've come to the conclusion that PCs are better for me (please note the for me).
    Reasons are:
    - for the same money PCs will be more powerful than Macs although not as attractive (but then again I don't use a PC to look at the case)
    - while you can indefinitely update a PC part by part at a relatively low cost, you almost need to buy a new Mac every year to keep up with better technology as it is such hassle (impossible?) to update them
    - if you break your PC it's fairly easy to get it repaired, if you break a Mac, good luck in finding someone who can fix it and prepare your cash (and be prepared to wait)

That's on the practical/financial side of things.

When it comes to performances, I've had a look at benchmarks and again for the same money PCs seem to get on top for certain applications.
    For example applying filters in Photoshop is much faster on PC (so much for Macs being better at graphics). But on the other hand Macs are better at rendering Acrobat documents.
    One thing is certain, if you are looking at playing games, stay clear of Macs as they are simply useless compared to PCs for that.

So I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your computer. Try and find some benchmarks and compare the machines on what's important to you. It might be a Mac that's more suitable for you, or it might be a PC.

No doubt some Mac lover will completely contradict me but my opinion is made based on independent benchmarks and "tests". And as I say it's only my opinion. :D

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    All my Mac owning friends have had reliability problems at some point. I've yet to meet a powerbook buyer who didn't have a screen problem within 12 months.

You can make a PC look as nice as you want....just buy a fancy case and some quiet fans.
    The microATX boxes can be nice although I prefer a fullsize ATX board myself.

The other thing I forgot to mention ... you can build your own PC quite easily. First one is always a little nerve-wracking but I quite enjoy it these days.

10. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    By a Linux box from Dell and fack Mac and PC advocates :smashin:

11. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    In nearly 10 years of using a macs I've never had a virus or any spyware, never had problems upgrading (standard pc parts on the whole), never had any hardware issue (aside from a pint of orange squash over the innards - nothing a damp sponge and a hair drier couldn't fixthough), compatibility problems etc etc. and cant remember last time I either of my macs crashed... Pain free computing on the whole.

But, If you're a nerd and want to tinker then buy a pc.

12. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    But you can't play Half Life 2 can you?

13. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Sorry i must have missed the bit where the original poster mentioned playing games :rolleyes:

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Maybe okay for DTP but we found even the newest G5s were too slow in the graphics department.

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Having had 10 years experience of Macs in a printing business they're fiddly, annoying and have endless compatibility problems if you upgrade just about any of the software. Apple also have paid for upgrades to the OS more often than I think is necessary.

When they're running properly the ease of use is about the same now between the PC or Mac and they're both easy enough to use when you get used to the OS.

IIRC just about the first computer virus was a Mac virus.

16. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Blimey i'm begining to feel like an oppressed minority :rolleyes:

Currently doing some work for a post production company with a studio full of G5s... i wonder how those poor souls manage?! :D

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Depending on who they are ...maybe they don't :devil:

18. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    ha ha.

the baftas and D&AD awards suggest they might

19. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Well baftas are given to individuals on productions rather than post-production houses and the D&AD awards only really dabble with film and TV so who is it then? Can't be any of the larger ones as they all run linux boxes with the occasional Mac in the matte-painting and roto departments.

20. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Well it's a thumbs-up from me. I 'switched' about two years ago, and no regrets. Started with an iBook, now have a powerBook & a mini - all have been faultless (crosses fingers).

One thing worth considering, since the OP wants to do the odd bit of movie & photo editing, is what you get thrown in with OSX. iPhoto, iMovie & iDvd are all great apps, nicely integrated, and easy to use.

21. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    very much tempted . One reason is because B Gates runs a virtual monopoly which is a disgrace.The upgrading and servicing is a bit of an issue though. :confused:

22. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Software upgrades will ease off now - certainly less than the annual 'Apple tax' we've gotten used. Hardware upgrades don't happen (unless it's something you can stick on the end of a firewire connection) - but second hand value remains high. A bi-annual hardware refresh works out as pretty good value. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Servicing is what it is. Applecare is pretty good from what I hear, and it's something I keep meaning to take out (helps with those 2nd hand prices ;)) but nothing's ever broken yet so I guess I'll leave it 'till it's too late.

23. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187

There's the small matter of a condifentiality agreement stopping me saying who it is i'm afriad. And yes baftas are given to individuals but those individuals more often than not work within organisations - like the beeb, lambie nairn (who have a very impressive trophey cabinet in their office - but then you probably know that) and countless other examples.

I'm not interested in adding to yet another tiresome mac vs pc tread to be honest. Lifes too short, and it's bed time. :boring:

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Sorry don't do TV anymore unless its HBO otherwise they're sloppy and they don't pay very well. :D

25. CambshireGordon

CambshireGordon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

26. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Since there has been so much tosh talked about mac compatibility and upgrade issues on the Mac i thought I'd throw my tuppence in here.

I am running both Macs (2 x G5s, a very old iMac and a couple of G4s running OS9) and PCs (oldish Dell running Win2K) in my design studio and have done so for a few years now. At home I have a PC running XP and a new Mac Mini running OSX.

In terms of running general Office type Applications you can get MS Office for Macintosh which works transparently with Office for Windows. But it also comes with its own office type applications anyway.

In terms of eliability I've been using Macs since 1989 and in that time I have had a single blown power supply in over 20 Macs and a loose battery connection in an ageing Powerbook G3. So pretty reliable then.

Software problems? A few over the years, but a lot less than on Windows machines. Both platforms are pretty stable in terms of crashes. The G5s simply don't. The main issue now is spyware and viruses which I have major problems with on the PC at home and none at all on any of the Macs.

Price? The new Mac minis start at under £300 and you can get one complete with keyboard, mouse and 17 TFT moinitor for around £500 - so not expensive either.

And the build quality is in another league compared to ANY other PC I've seen or used. The only downside of using a mac is the lack of games available and the tardiness of the video graphics, even on the higher spec machines.

So to summarise, as one who has used both comprehensively over the last 10 years (unlike some who have responded) I'd say the Mac is the nicer machine to use.

If you want to tweak a machine to the Nth degree, play computer games and are happy to spend time updating virus protection and running anti-spyware software and virus checkers every day then buy aPC.

If, however, you want to get on with your life buy a Mac.

Chris

27. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,767
    I think this post just about answers it for me.My only question being which Mac I should opt for if I wanted to do some video editing? Presumably plenty of Ram is required? :)

28. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    what's your budget?

29. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Welcome to the club mate :thumbsup:

Yes, plenty of RAM is a must. I'd slot in 2Gb if I had the money.

If budget is no problem I'd go for a G5 tower and a nice 19/20" (or bigger) monitor. A decent sized monitor is a must with all the on-screen palettes you are likely to be working with. Your productivity would nose-dive if you had a top spec machine and a only a 15" monitor.

If budget is a bit tighter then an iMac is a good bet. There's now a 20" iMac with a 2gHz processor for £1200 (inc VAT) which looks pretty tasty. This also comes with a super drive to burn your masterpieces onto DVD using the fab iDVD software. Bang in an extra 1,5Gb of RAm and you're away. You won't need any extra software to create your videos either (assuming your working from a firewire based DV cam).

I'd discount the Mac mini or eMac for video work as, although they will do video, they will undoubtedly be much slower.

Hope this helps.

Chris

30. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    If I may hijack this thread slightly, is DVD playback smooth on the Mac Mini as I'm sure I read somewhere that there were problems ? One more quesiton, can the mini output to a TV or does it have to be a monitor ?