Apple Lossless vs Microsoft Lossless

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by StooMonster, Jun 16, 2004.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Since iTunes launched in UK, I am kind of tempted to use it; but the big question is...

Do I rip my hundreds of CDs in Apple Lossless (their new format, variant of AAC) or in Microsoft Lossless (variant of WMA)?

Apple's iTunes lets you convert WMA to AAC format, but I don't know if this also covers lossless; and that sounds pretty one way.
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/import.html

Eeeekk... what am I supposed to do? Have two copies?

StooMonster

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main consideration is: where will you use the tracks? Only on the Mac/PC, or do you have an iPod or similar?

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    At home I have a media server that has several PCs linked to it, including an AV one in the hi-fi racking and thinking about getting an iPod too. (They are just so nice.)

Maybe even buy a tune or two online but then have iTunes.UK vs MSN.co.uk too.

I'm thinking about which is going to win in the long term, because I won't want to rip entire CD collection more than once.

Two competing formats, again.

StooMonster

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think that iTunes (and iPods) will be around for a while. Even if Apple stop making Macs at some point in the future, which I doubt, iTunes and iPod are now established on the Windows platform. By value, the iPod is the world's best selling portable HD player. I can see no reason not to go for Apple Lossless (full CD quality but half the file size, like SHN or FLAC). WMA is the only popular format iTunes won't output, and I don't see that as an issue.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,125
    I've ended up ripping to AAC format and wma on another hard drive. This gives me the ultimate flexibilty, although it did take a while to go through my whole cd collection !
    Has anyone managed to get the iTunes store working yet ? I've tried but it keeps telling me I need the up to date version of iTunes to access it. I do have the very latest version on so am a bit confused :confused:

6. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use iTunes, great little app, you do however need to turn off any personal firewalls to use the storeor you get an error message!!!!!!!

7. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, fiddle with your firewall settings, and make sure you also have the latest version of Quicktime.